SoS: January 26, 2015 - February 1, 2015

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by crackstar, Jan 25, 2015.

1. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Nice photo and the brush is really sharp! Nice clean lines!

Llyr, crackstar and vwp528 like this.
  2. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

Kevin, hope you recuperate well and my condolences for the loss of your four-legged friend.

Llyr, crackstar, RaZorBurn123 and 5 others like this.
  3. Mr. Droid

Mr. Droid Well-Known Member

SoTD for Friday, January 30, or SINGLEMANIA: Injector Redux

Pre- Clove Balsam PSO
    Soap- La Pere Lucien
    Brush- Blondie (20/50 boar, unknown vintage handle)
    Razor- Schick I2
    Blade- vintage Schick Super Chromium
    Rinse- Osage
    Aftershave- Brut / vintage
    Lotion- Kiehl's
    Cologne- TSD Brut type

[​IMG]

During yesterday's shave, I recalled that I had some vintage injector blades which are rumored to be quite good. By time I remembered them, it was far too late to do anything about it then, but I decided to try them today. After some digging in the overflow boxes of my collection I turned up the dispenser I was thinking of. Schick Super Chromium, exact year unknown, but for what it's worth, I got them with a cased PAL adjustable. Unfortunately, the dispenser contained only one blade out of the 4 it originally had. Since this shave is more about test driving the blade than the razor, I decided to go with something dependable. I went with the Hydro Magic I2, a razor that I consider to be perfect. Soap is one again La Pere Lucien, which I chose for the same reason... It is simply one of the best soaps I have at my disposal.
    To save a couple bucks on the soap, I ordered the refill of LPL just in case I didn't like it. Oddly, the soap is a standard rectangle rather than a puck. It just came wrapped in brown paper, so I pressed it into a bar soap container taken from a vintage Bulgarian travel kit. It fits perfectly, and I think it looks pretty cool. Today I used my little workhorse boar, Blondie. This brush is well under 100mm total, so it can be tough working with a mug. But because of the non standard storage I use for my LPL, it is perfect for today. I loaded the brush thoroughly, and using a metal bowl, whipped up my lather. It was now time for the test.
    I have tried many vintage blades. For the most part, each and every one has been a miserable experience. But I keep trying them, because you never know. Last week, my luck changed, and I finally found a good vintage blade. No, an excellent blade. The Gem Super Stainless. Hands down the best single edge blade I have used. That success has led directly to this experiment. So how was the Schick Super Chromium you ask? I will tell you... It was fantastic. It wasn't miles better than the current production Personna blades I use, but the quality increase was clear. The blade was sharper and smoother than my usual blades. It wasn't crazy sharp, it wasn't like a laser shearing away the hair with a thought, but the difference was in the quality of the shave. I did my usual 2.5 pass shave (2 face, 3 neck), and got what is without question one of the best shaves I have had in recent memory. So now I guess I have to chase down some more of these. Hopefully it will be easier than finding the Gem blades I am after.

4. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

1/30/15

Prep: hot shower and Cornhusker's Lotion
    Lather: Klar Kabinett
    Brush: Vie-Long 13061M
    Razor: Weber PH
    Blade: Voskhod (2)

2 passes on my scalp and 3 on my face left me quite smooth. I lathered face and scalp all at once and then shaved my head first. A weeks worth of stubble was easily mowed down by the Weber/Voskhod combo. I refreshed the lather on my face between scalp passes and had a very easy face shave. I had a little scab on my head from bumping my head on a picture frame on Monday and was little worried about getting some blood going, but the Weber was absolutely smooth.

Have a great day!

wristwatchb, dscaver, Llyr and 26 others like this.
  5. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Frey's Day:

Prep: Hot shower, Neutrogena Deep Clean Gentle Scrub, TSD Jasmine Sambac Preshave Balm
    Brush: Beeline Boar
    Soap: Stirling Bay Rum
    Razor: Merkur 41c 1904 OC
    Blade: Big Ben SS (1)
    Passes: WTG, XTG (1, 2)
    Post: Cold water rinse, Bloc Osma Alum, Dickinson's WH, Aveeno Active Naturals ASB
    Cologne: Le 3e Homme de Caron by Caron

I switched back to the boar again today; the initial lather may be a bit better with the boar, but it doesn't seem to be able to sustain that through multiple passes as well as the Simpson 56 does for me. Because of the tugging I experienced yesterday, I made two other changes: I swapped out the old Baili blade for a Big Ben, and I did so after having face-lathered (and rinsed my hands so they weren't too slippery to hold a razor blade) so that the soap could soften my whiskers a mite more. As a result, I got my most comfortable performance ever out of the Big Ben, though I have to admit the Baili shaved a touch closer. Still, DFS results without bloodshed or irritation, followed by the ASB due to the cold, dry air.

wristwatchb, dscaver, Llyr and 25 others like this.
  6. Stroker

Stroker Well-Known Member

Sorry for your loss Kevin. I hope that you feel better very soon.

Llyr, crackstar, RaZorBurn123 and 4 others like this.
  7. 782sirbrian

782sirbrian Well-Known Member

:thanks: Gary for your kind words. I do like this brush, it has a cheap knot from Victoria Sheng in China, not much cost at all :eatdrink047:

Llyr, crackstar, RaZorBurn123 and 5 others like this.
  8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Well some of the "lesser investment" brushes seem to bring some of the best enjoyment. I have one that I call the "Junk Pile" brush that I use frequently. The knot is of no major pedigree but I like it a lot.

Llyr, crackstar, RaZorBurn123 and 6 others like this.
  9. Stroker

Stroker Well-Known Member

SOTD Friday 1-30-2015

Maggard Mr3 w/Personna Stainless
    Noxema
    Old Spice Original SC
    GP Scuttle
    Omega Boar
    Dickinson's WH
    GB Body Lotion
    Old Spice Classic ASL

Shave Photo 451SM.jpg

10. trey06dmd

trey06dmd Arko eater

Friday's Shave

[​IMG]

Prep: shower w/ Grandpa's Pine Tar
    Music: Mississippi Delta Blues mix
    Lather: Arko
    Razor: '46 - '50 Gillette Heavy Gold Tech
    Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
    Scent: Pinaud Clubman

Third day on the Gillette Silver Blue. I think I'd like them better in a more aggressive razor. Just don't seem sharp enough in the Tech. Not terrible but I feel like I liked the Sharks better. Probably skipping tomorrow but next will probably be an Astra SP. Started using Clubman more as a scent than an AS and my face has thanked me so far. Tried cutting it with witch hazel the other day and while it was better, the scent didn't last very long.

Troy M, wristwatchb, Stroker and 26 others like this.
  11. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I hope you feel better soon, and condolences on your loss.

Llyr, crackstar, RaZorBurn123 and 2 others like this.
  12. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Troy M, Porter, wristwatchb and 26 others like this.
  13. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    What!?! Refined? What is this and how does it happen? I might want to refine mine! Please explain or paste a link. Thanks! :D

Bama Samurai, Llyr, crackstar and 4 others like this.
  14. grump

grump Well-Known Member

SOTD 30 Jan 2015

Razor: Gillette New (short comb)
    Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock black
    Brush: Semogue 620
    Soap: ARKO
    AS: Thayers Lavender Witch Hazel

[​IMG]

15. grump

grump Well-Known Member

Having to put down a pet is hard. Darth had a long life and I am sure you have many memories. I hope you feel well soon!

Bama Samurai, Llyr, crackstar and 4 others like this.
  16. Sevenbark

Sevenbark Well-Known Member

I really feel like Gollum with these, got my first one from asylum guido. At one time I had three of my precious. Amazing story with this one, ebay $19 looked like it came of the bottom of the ocean. Polished up like new AND no crack! However, the case was nnot the same state. I would love to lie and say the are marginal shavers so I could have more of my precious. If you have a chance get a New Improved head.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
    Bama Samurai, Troy M, Llyr and 3 others like this.
  17. Sevenbark

Sevenbark Well-Known Member

Razor: 46-47 Aristocrat
    Soap DR Harris Lavender
    Brush: Duke 3 Best
    Balm: Anherb Naturals
    AS: AV
    Color: I wished I could shot raw with iPhone or learn Photo Shop better
    2015 1 30.jpg

Ryan B, Bama Samurai, Troy M and 23 others like this.
  18. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

That NEW is stunning! I'm green with envy every time I see it! :D
    Also, I see you had a nice shave how do you like the Supersteel blades overall? I've got a pack coming to sample.

19. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Excellent Justin! That was me! Speed Shaver! Hey if it works, why not. Your hair grows fast! Yesterday you were almost bald. Thanks for taking the time to record this.
    Kerry

20. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Ron, that's still a very nice image, both in color and composition. :happy088:
    What the PS software really allows for is further enhancing (color correction, etc) of an already good image...
    ps_demo.jpg