SHAVE READY?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Jrjoyce2007, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Jrjoyce2007

Jrjoyce2007 Member

I ordered a Dovo straight razor claiming shave ready (like everyone else claims) and not to my surprise it can not pass the hanging hair test.

Who do you recommend I send this thing to? The only person I know of is Larry from WD. Are there/who are other options and was their work quality? Any personal favorites?

2. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

Lynn at SRD
    Jarred at thesuperiorshave
    Phil at classicedge
    are three that I have used and received excellent results

Glen GSSIXGUN here is very highly regarded but I do not have experience other than learning from his honing videos.

GDCarrington and gssixgun like this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

All my str8s go to Glen @gssixgun His web site is Gemstar Customs

gssixgun likes this.
  4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Have you shaved with the Dovo?
    I have gotten brilliant shaves from razors that have 'failed' the HHT, and some not-so-great ones from razors that DO pass.
    I'lll echo Steve's post and recommend you contact Glen for all your razor-honing needs.

5. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

This has been my experience as well. Nothing like your face to check shave worthiness. I will tell you the edge that fails against the shave test is no pleasure but it will only take a few seconds to know.

Jrjoyce2007 likes this.
  6. Jrjoyce2007

Jrjoyce2007 Member

Interesting. Now that I think about it I did not strop before the test. It was an out of box test. Maybe that will produce a better HHT result. I'll give it a go at shaving as well and see.

Thanks for the referral to Glenn.

gssixgun likes this.
  7. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Hi I am Glen :p

Try this step by step first and see what happens the HHT is for the guy Honing the razor to use if he has calibrated it to his standards pay it no mind until you try a shave test..

Give this a 100% effort, really try it then if it fails the razor probably does need honing :D

Go forth and shave my friend, and welcome to the Den !!!!

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/video-what-is-the-shave-test.32920/

8. Jrjoyce2007

Jrjoyce2007 Member

Thanks Glenn. I did shave this evening. I stropped, still failed the HHT, but shaved magnificently

gssixgun likes this.
  9. Ceferguson

Ceferguson Well-Known Member

I can vouch for Glenn, he does a great job

gssixgun and GDCarrington like this.
  10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

... and then there are the pictures that he posts of the finished razors! A+ :D

11. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

Good to hear. Lots of times we seem to forget it's really all about the shave. A test is nice and all but no substitute for the intended purpose.

12. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor

Sweet !!!

Hint:

Take a brand new DE blade, try the HHT with it using the same hair as you did with the SR see what happens :)
    That is the very first step to calibrating the HHT

My hair = HHT at the 1k level while honing so dang easy
    Wife's Hair = Dude you better be looking for a blue moon while hell is getting cold and all the stars in heaven to align :D

Always do that shave test first then decide what direction to go :p

And many thanks to the rest of you gents for the votes of confidence...

Jrjoyce2007 likes this.