Agg. razor/mild blade, and vice versa...common sense or not?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by gorgo2, Feb 26, 2015.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

It would seem to be a general rule that sharper, less forgiving blades are better coupled with less aggressive razors, and vice versa...say, a Feather blade with a Blue Tip, or a Big Ben with a maxed-out adjustable. Point being, they'd balance each other out, resulting in an overall good shave that might otherwise be too raw or not cutting a thing.

Have you found this to be basically true? Sometimes true? Not true at all?

2. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Out of all my razors, the only one that is picky about blades is a R41. With a good sharp blade, I get a very nice shave. When I use a more mild one, it is super tuggy and not pleasant. Other than the R41, I don't really notice much difference in shave quality.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
    gorgo2 likes this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I only have two different blade - Astra SPs and ASR Platinum Chrome. Both work great in all of my 30-some-odd DEs.

gorgo2 likes this.
  4. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

I would say mostly true.

gorgo2 likes this.
  5. VedderLG

VedderLG Well-Known Member

I've used Rapira PLs in six different razors now and compared them to many other blades in those razors. Rapira PL wins every time for me.

gorgo2 likes this.
  6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I used the Swedish Supersteel and was pretty impressed by it.

VedderLG likes this.
  7. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

The blades I like all work well in the razors I use. Safety razors that don't work well with the blades I use regularly, I tend not to use. I try to keep things as simple as possible, I'm easily confused :happy097:

gorgo2 likes this.
  8. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I can't say I agree.
    my favorite( persona labs) seem like they work across the board. even in some pretty aggressive razors.
    conversely ones considered not as sharp do not shine in them.
    you may have a point, but I can't say my experience supports it.

gorgo2 likes this.
  9. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

This has been my experience as well. My favorite, persona blues, seem to work in everything I have.

gorgo2 likes this.
  10. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Sometimes true, in my experience with an admittedly small number of razors. For me, the FaTip is not a good match for the sharpest blades I've tried, but works very well with blades that my 41c cannot use for prolonged periods due to their relative dullness.

gorgo2 likes this.
  11. LaSalle82

LaSalle82 Well-Known Member

I would agree with that. I always use similar combos when trying new razors & blades

gorgo2 likes this.
  12. Jasio78

Jasio78 Well-Known Member

I've still got some work to do on this, but I'm definitely beginning to come round to this idea. I've struggled with the black beauty, turned it up a few notches, but dropped in a silver blue. It's better but I'm not quite there with that razor. However my wilko sticky is very mild. I wasn't getting the best shaves. But I upped the blade to a pol silver ( a blade that has in the past left me feeling skinned), and this week I have had possibly the best shaves in 6 months. A perfect pairing.

gorgo2 likes this.
  13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

No doubt there's a dozen variables that may help influence which direction one goes on the question...skin types, beard thickness, prep, technique, razors, even soaps and creams. Bottom line seems to be: YMMV. Who coulda saw that coming?

Good discussion, gents!

14. sir_mike

sir_mike Well-Known Member

These are the reasons that someone should have a Wiki page or whatever of tried and true pairings! Blade/Razor combo that works well! :)

gorgo2 likes this.
  15. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I somewhat agree. But I did use a Personna Med Prep in my Fatip when I owned a Fatip and got the smoothest, most comfortable shave of my life. I think it mostly has to do with my lather. To me a bad lather ruins my shave and is responsible for my cuts, nicks, and irritation.

gorgo2 likes this.
  16. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Sometimes true, but as you mentioned, MANY variables figure into the shaving comfort equation.
    I favored DE razors that had a reputation for shaving aggressiveness (larger blade exposure, angle, gap) and wound up preferring Feathers or the Personna Meds on most of them. I started with Astras on most razors, but wound up moving up the 'sharpness' ladder when it came to blades.

gorgo2 likes this.
  17. BeeGee

BeeGee Active Member

Shoot, everything I throw a Voskhod in works like a dream :)

gorgo2 likes this.
  18. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I'd say mostly true too. I tend to favor mild razors with a sharp blade.

gorgo2 and Jasio78 like this.
  19. sir_mike

sir_mike Well-Known Member

This is what I prefer and in search of the right combo. I find that the Older Gillette's are too mild, the iKon 102 Slant too mild. I just want a medium aggressive razor! That's all and paired with the right blades! I currently use Astra SP's which seem okay so far!

EDITED: The RR Slant Stainless is not too mild as I posted earlier so corrected that! Sorry folks! The RR Slant Stainless has some aggression to it! :)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
    gorgo2 likes this.
  20. VedderLG

VedderLG Well-Known Member

Just ordered 10 to try with my latest IB purchase