Summertime...Barbeques, Grills & Smokers!

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by HolyRollah, Jun 11, 2013.

1. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Saturday, I went to the grocery intent on getting a pork loin to make some back bacon. Unfortunately it was on the pricey side. They did have Boston Butt on sale for $.99 a pound, so I got two (one for pulled pork and one to cure). Here is the 10 lb hunk of pork on the kamado. It took just under 9 hours to cook. My grill was stable between 250 and 275F the entire time. I used a mix of apple, hickory and cherry wood as that was what I had on hand.

8 AM when it hit the smoker.
    10lbButt1.jpg

Here is 3 hours in to the cook.

10lbButt2.jpg

About 6 hours in.... Inserted the temp probe, midway through the stall.

10lbButt3.jpg

And the final result... :) A nice sandwich on an onion roll, with my home made ghost chili sauce, cole slaw and pickles.

sammich.jpg

BamaT, 45auto, figment714 and 4 others like this.
  2. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Looks great!

PanChango likes this.
  3. Radiotube

Radiotube RADInOverdrive

I'm hungry now. I need a smoker... I was actually considering using a crock pot to slow cook a pork butt and then I see this... I don't think a crock pot is an appropriate substitute.:signs107:

PanChango likes this.
  4. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

A slow cooker is a whole lot less work, but also much less satisfying.

I have a slow cooker too, but rarely use it for this purpose.

5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Looks great, Dale! :drool::eatdrink020:
    One of the joys of making pulled pork is it requires little attention, easy prep and the rewards are plentiful!
    My biggest challenge in making great PP sandwiches is finding a proper soft gluten-free bun!
    How long was the cook overall? In the past, I've done overnight smokes with pork or beef brisket (9-12 hours), much depending on the size, of course.

PanChango and Radiotube like this.
  6. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Thanks Kevin. It was 5 minutes short of 9 hours. I put it on at 8am and pulled it at 5 pm. Wrapped it and let it sit for about an hour after the cook. Once the Kamado was at temp, I really didn't mess with it at all. Mid way through I put a probe in and checked it every couple hours and gave it a spritz with apple cider when I did.

HolyRollah and Radiotube like this.
  7. Radiotube

Radiotube RADInOverdrive

My wife can't have gluten, corn, egg yolks, chicken, beef and a multitude of other things... so I'm in the same boat. I buy different bread for her than what I use. Her's costs more than twice as much too. Fortunately, she can have pork, turkey and bison... so I try to get creative with those choices.

macaronus likes this.
  8. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Fired up the Kamado last night and did some pork steaks hot and fast. No pics of the finished product, but I snapped one of the grill getting ready.

griill.jpg

HolyRollah and macaronus like this.
  9. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

omg...... :drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

PanChango likes this.
  10. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Today I went to the store for a couple of steaks, but ended up coming home with a ham. I smoked it with apple wood for roughly 3.5 hours. The grill ranged from 250F-290F during the cook. I made a quick glaze of coffee, cola, brown sugar, and a pinch of my rub. Here it is about ready to come off the grill.

ham3.jpg

HolyRollah likes this.
  11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Crazy busy weekend but since mid-February here in NorCal feels more like late Spring, I thought it time to do some more meat smokin'.
    Nothing complicated = a 9-lb pork shoulder/butt, given a good rub and put in the smoker for 10-12 hours (low & slow) with applewood & hickory.

Up early this morning (4:30am), and checked the temp on this overnight smoke (weber temp: 215°F; meat internal temp: 188°F). Pulled and wrapped the meat, let it rest and the IT ended up about 194°F.
    After it sat for about an hour or so, I began pulling. Bone pulled right out ( a good sign) and the pork was very tender with a crisp, spicy bark.
    Later on I made some coleslaw and the BBQ sauce. This should make for an enjoyable dinner later!

After a good rest (the sun is finally up!)
    [​IMG]

The Pullin'— you can see the bone (upper left) just prior to me pulling it out. Decent smoke ring, spicy bark & tender pork….:happy093:
    [​IMG]

BamaT, emmijack, feeltheburn and 4 others like this.
  12. Radiotube

Radiotube RADInOverdrive

Looks delicious! Today, after Church, I started a bison stew. It came out fabulous. It was a great dinner!

13. Mustache

Mustache Well-Known Member

Mmmmmm...... We have a cranberry pork roast in the crock pot and mashed potatoes on the stove.

14. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Very nice Kevin.

Tonight I cherry smoked some frenched chicken legs. Applied my general purpose rub, smoked at 275 for about an hour. Mixed up a Cherry Chipotle BBQ sauce and returned to the grill to set the sauce for about 30 mins. Served with baked beans and a salad. They disappeared upon reaching the table.

FrenchedLegs.jpg

BamaT, 45auto, HolyRollah and 2 others like this.
  15. jimmy Mac

jimmy Mac Well-Known Member

My old Weber (after 16 years of companionship) bit the dust. Picked up a new one today and smoked a top sirloin for the family. Sorry no pics.

PanChango and BamaT like this.
  16. chromedometone

chromedometone Active Member

When I was in college I smoked a lot of cigarettes. Now that I'm older, I only smoke meats. Either one will probably kill me, but only one will do it deliciously.

PanChango and BamaT like this.
  17. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Decided to make some pulled beef for the last snow (hopefully) of the year. Here is a 4lb chuck roast just about to be foiled.

chuck.jpg

45auto, feeltheburn, BamaT and 2 others like this.
  18. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

That's looking good! I can almost smell it by looking at the picture!

PanChango likes this.
  19. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Thanks. It turned out really well. My dog turned into my shadow when I brought it inside in hopes that I might drop a chunk of it. :)

BamaT likes this.
  20. txskimo

txskimo Well-Known Member

Made a little over 9lbs of Italian sausage today. My wife uses it for spaghetti but I'm thinking some breakfast tacos in the morning. Also can't decide if I should smoke the other pork butt tomorrow or wait for the weekend.

[​IMG]

BamaT and PanChango like this.