Freezing Minnesotan with questions

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Snus Juice, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Snus Juice

Snus Juice New Member

Hey guys,
    brand new to the site and Wet-shaving all together. I've had the thought of switching to wet-shaving for awhile after I got my great grandfathers early 1900s brushes and straight razors, but would like to leave those alone and get new stuff all together. Like many of you were, I'm sick of terrible skin and in-grown hairs from cheapy superstore products and want the experience of wet-shaving. That being said I'm overwhelmed to the T on where to start. Do I get a starter kit on a website or buy everything individually? I have relatively oily skin and would like to get a few soaps and creams to start of with. I do not have any knowledge of what scents I would like. would like to keep it around 100-120 to start off. kinda hoping for "Go here", "buy this", "don't get this", from you guys. Don't have very much time to research alot since I work 17 hr days 6 days a week.

Thanks guys!

BenTTO, Misphit, macaronus and 9 others like this.
  2. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

First of all Welcome aboard! With all of the options and products and discussions it can be a bit overwhelming. I started with a Van der Hagen razor and blades I found at Target and then started adding from there. I'm amazed sometimes at how fast my collection grew and all that I have and use now. This forum has definitely added to my knowledge and I love it.

I personally would suggest using Amazon as your starting point, especially given your schedule. My personal recommendations - an Edwin Jagger 89 razor, and get the Van der Hagen premium set (brush, bowl and soap). The razor is about $37 bucks, the VDH set is about #13. That's $50 to get started. You could go with the VDH deluxe set for about $10 bucks more. They also offer blade sampler packs there which would give you a number of different blades to try in the beginning. Those run from about $15 to $25. There is also a sampler pack available from the shave shop right here at the Shave Den too!

Once you have the basics you can get started then let the acquisition disorders lead from there! Hope that helps and welcome again.

3. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

:signs011: Welcome to The Shave Den!

Also, you can pick up Taylor of Old Bond Street shaving cream on Amazon for about $15. I like Sandalwood, but you will find many other scents as well.

Enjoy!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
    GDCarrington likes this.
  4. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

A warm welcome to you from North Texas (at least in encouragement because it is freezing down here as well).

As to a good starter kit (ENTRY LEVEL COST), here are some products to look at:

Razor:

New: Edwin Jagger EJ89, Muhle R89, Cadet TTO
    Vintage: Gillette Super Speed, Schick Krona

Brush (3 major groups):
    Badger: Omega #621 or Edwin Jagger - 281K61
    Boar: Omega #10065 Boar, Omega #10049 "Colors" Boar aka The PRO 49
    Synthetic: Kent Infinity Silvertex or Mühle K Series from Connaught Shaving (best pricing on Mühle items)

Blades: Blade Sampler

Here are some good vendors to look for items at:

http://www.connaughtshaving.com/
    http://www.shoeboxshaveshop.com/index.html

You might also want to take a look at some of the references contained in my signature line below for discussions of the 30 Day systems and more on hardware.

With that being said ...

Welcome to the Den.

We know you'll fit right in.

So grab yourself a comfy chair,

and give our threads a spin!

Burma Shave

macaronus and Daytonkb like this.
  5. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

welcome
    I started two of my sons of with van Der hagen sets, I gave each of them a vintage Gillette super speed. the vdh sets can be bought at the superstores.

David Green and GDCarrington like this.
  6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Great advice.

I'll just say hi! :signs046:

GDCarrington likes this.
  7. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

We're awfully proud of @GDCarrington around here. He started wet shaving last week, and you see how much progress he has made already. :rofl:

8. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Welcome to TSD. I would echo the advise given above.

GDCarrington likes this.
  9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    GDCarrington likes this.
  10. Ceferguson

Ceferguson Well-Known Member

I would recommend the omega 11137 boar brush it is around $20 shipped and you will enjoy it for a long time

The jagger DE89 models is supposedly same head as the muhle r89 but half the price also look for used ones they are cheaper

I would recommend cella or razorock soap the are relatively cheap, good and easy to lather

And you can come check mine out. It's 70 degrees here in Louisiana today

GDCarrington likes this.
  11. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I recommend you sign up for TSD Newbie Give-Away HERE :signs046:

David Green and GDCarrington like this.
  12. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Hello! Welcome to TSD.

GDCarrington likes this.
  13. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

Welcome Snus! :signs046:

GDCarrington likes this.
  14. Jostalli

Jostalli Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Den - you have come to the right place to learn.

It can be very overwhelming. Take a deep breath and enjoy.

I started off with a vintage Gilltette Tech and alter added the Merkur 34c HD. and I picked up an inexpensive Parker Best Badger. My first creams were Proraso Green in the tube and Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood. Both very easy to lather. As already mentioned get a good blade sampler. Razor's and Blades are all different fr0m person to person.

Again welcome - always remember have fun with it.

Daytonkb and GDCarrington like this.
  15. Rapidray

Rapidray Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Den! Enjoy your new journey.

GDCarrington likes this.
  16. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046: to TSD "Snus Juice"

I think @NCoxSTL has a good idea for a starter kit. You can get a Van der Hagan starter kit (boar or badger brush, ceramic lather bowl and a really good soap) usually this kit can be obtained locally(grocery, drug and Walmart stores to name a few places) and at a decent price. You can use a small Ziploc storage container to store your soap in. They are sealable, stackable, easy to find and cheap to buy. :)

Which leaves you ordering only a safety razor online. The EJ89(amazon) is an excellent choice IMO. I still have mine and still like it VERY much! I would suggest getting either the lined or knurled handle over the smooth one. I got the smooth first and found it very slick and hard to hold with wet soapy hands, and so I didn't really get to enjoy the razor until I got another better knurled handle for it later on. Another advantage to a 3 piece is the ability to change handles. You could still do some more research and start out a bit cheaper, but IMO your not going to get any better a starting kit for your money than what's listed above. Good luck :happy088:

Daytonkb and GDCarrington like this.
  17. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I am a fast learner! :happy093:

NCoxSTL and wristwatchb like this.
  18. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

Welcome to the forum! :signs046:

GDCarrington likes this.
  19. txskimo

txskimo Well-Known Member

I've only been at this for 3 months but here are my recommendations.

Razor
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003LW4L2W/?tag=thshde-20
    I like the fact it's a bit heavier so I don't feel the need to apply pressure. They have different handle designs so you might want to look at those.

Brush
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HJ6CFM/?tag=thshde-20
    I started off with the VDH brush but honestly it has nothing on this. Both are boar brushes but this should suit your needs way longer.

Soap
    I started off with VDH and still think it's a fine soap you can pick up locally but recently discovered Caties Bubbles. The ease of lather building is night and day between the two so I feel Caties Bubbles is worth the extra price. Really slick stuff and if anything I would say the soap is one of the more important aspects of the shave.

That's all under your price range which leaves you room to buy a sample pack of razors plus a razor and brush stand.

Whatever you decide I encourage you to do a 30 day challenge to really understand what problems you might encounter as well as speed up your learning curve.

DEfettish, Daytonkb and NCoxSTL like this.
  20. Daytonkb

Daytonkb Well-Known Member

Welcome to the den!!

Everyone above has given you great advise of were to begin! I have to say the Van Der Hagen set is a simple and smart start up kit to have.

Also on your next trip to Walmart pick up a bottle of Shave Secret, this works great as a PRESHAVE oil. By using a preshave oil it can be very forgiving while trying to get use to using a DE by protecting your skin from the blade a bit. You can also find instructions on the forum on how to make your own Preshave oil.

If you have a Bath and Body Works close to you, i recommend you going and picking up a tube of C.O. Bigalo Shave Cream (re-branded Proraso). This is also a good cream to start out with, easy to lather and makes for a really nice shave.

As far as a razor go name brand if your willing to spend the money. Merkur, Parker, Edwin Jagger, Muhle.

Omega brush's you just cant go wrong with they are well priced and great brush's! GDCarrington suggestions are right on the money!

If all of this is to overwhelming just go with the Van Der Hagen :p its a safe play! Good luck and remember don't apply pressure with the razor, let the razor do the work!

DEfettish likes this.