March 30 Day Rule/Focus Pic-Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Bama Samurai, Feb 27, 2015.

1. txskimo

txskimo Well-Known Member

@Drygulch you brought up an interesting thought. Since about jr high I have used the internet to learn just about anything I wanted to know. I'm really not sure how bad by shaving would have went once I got into DE and hopefully straights one day BUT you made me appreciate the fact I have yall as a community to help along my journey.

2. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

March 2 Plans

Stirling Sheep Soap
    Merkur 37C Slant Bar
    Feather blade (day 2)
    Ever-Ready C40 Boar
    Stirling Naked and Smooth soap & D.R. Harris Almond cream
    Three passes
    Alum, Thayer's Lavender witch hazel, & unrefined shea butter

I really like this set-up, as it gives a terrific shave! Happy Monday!

SOTD_030215.jpg

3. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I'll be sure to post up a comparison as next week goes along. I had sworn off of more razors but I'm afraid him loaning me these razors might be the end of that promise.

4. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Kai has a Kai Mild Guard blade as well that is even less aggressive than the Feather Guard.

5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

When I was in jr high the phone was mounted on the kitchen wall, we didn't have a microwave and I was the tv remote. :)

6. WhiskerWhacker

WhiskerWhacker Well-Known Member

Day 1 - 03/01: BBS but at a cost. I was still rather clean shaven from yesterday’s awesome Big Boy shave. I should have used lower settings because I have some red and irritation on my neck. A bad shave is a good way to start this out. Nowhere to go but up! One positive is that the Palmolive cream made a much nicer lather than I was expecting. Good stuff.
    • Growth: 1 day
    • Prep: Show; Corn Huskers Lotion
    • Lather: Palmolive Classic Cream
    • Brush: Escali Badger – My Plisson is off getting customized. Decided to give the super-shedder a turn.
    • Razor: 1964 Gillette Slim (4,2,6)
    • Blade: Personna Israeli Red (1)
    20150301_115450.jpg

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
    Troy M, NCoxSTL, Bama Samurai and 8 others like this.
  7. jakie55

jakie55 Well-Known Member

I've thought the same thing. Of course, I like unusual things, hence the vintage shaving, having owned a diesel smart car, hammock camping, etc:bounce015:

8. jakie55

My march madness will be with the Marh 24, 1914 razor, face lathering, with my new WD silvertip, and Nivea cream. I will start with the stainless PTFE, as I know that blade, using it with the clog pruf for all of January. I will then move to the other blades I got in the try a blade intro pack. Oh, and I also have about 20 or so Personna PTFE blades from the UK. lots to work on. Pic to follow

SDK, NCoxSTL, Bama Samurai and 4 others like this.
  9. SDK

SDK it's his fault

Lol- me too. I was well into my 30s by the dawn of the Internet.

I was trying to tell my kids that the TV used to turn off for the night at 11pm. I may as well have told them I used to live on Mars....

Troy M, NCoxSTL, Bama Samurai and 3 others like this.
  10. txskimo

txskimo Well-Known Member

Life sounded horrible back then....lol jk.

I said I wasn't going to do a focus this month but after todays shave I'm really considering it. Absolutely the best shave I've ever had and I would like to repeat it consistently. Decisions decisions.

SDK, NCoxSTL, Troy M and 6 others like this.
  11. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

12. wristwatchb

:happy096: Congratulations on getting started with the Feather Artist Club razor! You wisely chose to start with the Pro Guard blades. The shaves will continue to get better as you gain more experience with the razor. I look forward to following your progress this month!

13. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Same with me.

Ceferguson, SDK, Troy M and 4 others like this.
  14. wristwatchb

Me too, and it developed my character. Living under those difficult conditions, I never missed a phone call, meal, or TV show. :happy097:

SDK, Troy M, jakie55 and 5 others like this.
  15. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Yep. They'd play the national anthem at midnight when I was growing up then sign off until 6 a.m. when they'd play it again and start another day. If you were still up as a kid and heard the national anthem you knew you were up REALLY late. LOL

16. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I'm still here edition...still coping with a useless right hand...

Thanks everyone for the well wishes, and for kicking off the month with a flurry...you guys are the best! :happy088:

Here's my plan...

image.jpg

All the above, Chinese Schick Blades. All left handed due to burn injury...don't try this for fun, lol!

Somehow got DFS on 2 + touch up. One day down...

Hodge, wristwatchb, SDK and 10 others like this.
  17. jakie55

I can sure tell that I went from a VERY forgiving razor, to one that will bite, if not given the right respect. The shave itself was very good, but I ended up with some weeepers on my neck, and the neck is a bit tender, even though I thought I was being gentle, no pressure, right angles. Some witch hazel after shave balm seemed to calm down the neck area. All in all, an okay shave for the first one of the March Madness. The face lathering ended up being a non issue. No difficulties this shave whatsoever. I really like the WD silvertip.

18. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

My shave this morning was good. 2 passes with the Gillette New LC resulted in a CCS. I think this will be the key for my face and this razor for every day shaving. 3 passes will ultimately cause me to have problems, but 2 should keep the skin calm. The razor is pretty efficient although I would not consider it to be too aggressive. I don't know if you can cut yourself with a New razor, but it doesn't seem to want to bite me at all. After about a week of using it, my neck is cleaner than what I have become accustomed to, so that is a real plus.

Prep: warm wash and Cornhusker's Lotion
    Lather: leftover soaps in a tub
    Brush: BodyShop synthetic
    Razor: Gillette New LC
    Blade: Feather (2)

19. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

We didn't have a microwave until high school, our TV had 3 snowy channels and our telephone was a 4 party line. Yep, I lived in the country.

Bristle Me, wristwatchb, SDK and 6 others like this.
  20. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

March Focus - Vintage and Carbon
    March 2, 2015 - Week 1 Day 2
    Prep - Hot shower and towel
    Brush - VDH Boar
    Soap - Arko
    Razor - Gillete New Long Comb
    Blade - [​IMG] (2)
    Post - RazoRock Alum and Aqua Velva Ice Blue

Another great shave today. I could get used to this setup. Two pass DFS. On the second pass I went XTG on my face and used the Gillette slide on my neck. Voila! Done! No nicks, bites or any other problems. Irritation was less than yesterday according to the alum so hit the Aqual Velva and let's go sell!!

This month's toys -
    March Madness Setup.jpg

wristwatchb, SDK, Troy M and 7 others like this.