DE Razor Pricing, or Value.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Douglas Carey, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

I would like to know if razors are worth more if they are restored, or left in their original condition? I'm sure some like to see some signs of use, but how much?

PatrickA51 likes this.
  2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Are you looking at razors as an investment? If so, original would be the desired condition. Mint.

PatrickA51 and Douglas Carey like this.
  3. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

It is a hobby, however, I like them clean and shiny, and I don't know if restoring them effects their value. When you purchase a DE in mint condition how do you determine if it has been re plated or if it is in the original mint condition?

PatrickA51 likes this.
  4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

It depends to whom you are selling. Collectors want original, mint condition. Your average DE user wants a shiny, nice-looking and functional razor.

5. RaZorBurn123

Good question. I don't have a vintage razor in mint condition or restored. I'm sure someone will jump in shortly.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  6. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

So does getting DE razor restored, or revamped as I've seen increase the value or detract from the value?

7. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

The majority of buyers (not necessarily collectors) will pay more for a carefully-restored razor than one that shows signs of age or wear. With DE razors, a good cleaning and polishing enhances the value, at least that has been my experience in selling DE razors. The same approach can also apply to SE razors and straight razors. There are always exceptions, however, where the original patina is desired, but these razors tend to be in the minority.

Douglas Carey and GDCarrington like this.
  8. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

I purchased a 1947 Gillette Super Speed Safety Razor - no notch - MINT CONDITION. Didn't really concern me about the price as it is a birth razor. I have other razor's that also have significant dates to me, some are at a good price, others hard to say, but it is what it is.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Interesting, I could have written this except for the "MINT CONDITION."
    47ss01.JPG

10. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Outstanding. Do you enjoy shaving with this razor?

Jayaruh likes this.
  11. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    It's a great little razor. I break it out for my birthday week each year. Mine is not "MINT CONDITION," but it is in exceptional condition. I also have a '47 Aristocrat that has some lost plating, also, a great shaver. The GEM MMBT was introduced in '47, so it is my birth era razor.

12. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thanks, couldn't find MMBT? So here is my question, how do I know if it is original mint condition, or re-plated mint condition? Thanks for our feed back as always .

13. RaZorBurn123

Yeah, the only thing that matters is that you are happy.

14. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

I agree, the value of something is what someone will pay for it. I'm very happy to get the deal I did, in the condition it is.
    This is a great site, TSD. :)

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  15. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Have you ever thought of restoring the 47 Aristocrat? Post a picture of this razor.

16. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Gillette Aristocrat* 1947 Birth Year Razor, I'll have to keep an eye out for this one. Thanks.

17. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    I may have it replated some time. Like I said, it will remain in the family.
    47Aristocrat012a.jpg 47Aristocrat010.JPG 47Aristocrat009a.jpg

ObiDon, clint64 and Douglas Carey like this.
  18. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Jayaruh likes this.
  19. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I got my birth year razor it was in good condition but I would not say mint.
    1951 Gillette W-2.jpg

20. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Outstanding, looks good to me.:happy088:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015