Tutorial How to make your own Pre-shave oil

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Sara-s, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Thought I'd keep this thread alive.

Lavender Pre Shave Oil
    Ingredients:
    • Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Water/Aqua, Geraniol, Limonene, Linalool
    Cost $25 for 2.0oz
    [​IMG]
    I just was in AoS last week and was looking over their product line, as I've never been in the establishment. I was interested in some lavender scented products. I was somewhat taken aback by their pricing ie. $25 for shave oil, $30 for shave soap, and $40 for AS. I ordered the soap and as fro TSD. Looks like I need to grab some castor oil and lavender eo. I have some kukui nut oil I may toss into the blend just for the heck of it.
    Thanks for the great tip!

Sara-s likes this.
  2. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

That ought to make a nice blend.

3. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Made a small batch using olive oil, kukui nut oil, castor oil and lavender EO. First shave this evening. One thing that stood out: When slashing on a handful of VIBR after the shave, I didn't get the HOLY CRAP!!! burn. Got a close comfortable shave. No sense of razor burn whatsoever. Thanks so much for the recipe, for a fraction of the AoS stuff. And mime smells better to boot!

WP_20150207_001.jpg

4. Seabs

Seabs Well-Known Member

I gave my 12 year old daughter the recipe and she went out on her own and made me a eucalyptus peppermint preshave that she's going to brand later (only if it's good! ). Let you know how is works out. Sweet almond, kukui oil, castor and the smell goods.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
    Douglas Carey and Spyder like this.
  5. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Please,let us know your thoughts .

Seabs likes this.
  6. Seabs

Seabs Well-Known Member

Sure will. Plan on breaking it in tomorrow for Menthol Monday! Frozen tundra soap from Stirling and Sophie's Suds (my daughter's beauty brand)

The Sophie Subs frozen preshave was a chilling start to the day especially when paired with stirlings frozen tundra soap. I'm gonna keep using it for the remainder of the week.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2015
    David Green likes this.
  7. David Green

David Green Active Member

Just picked up a small bottle of jojoba oil and castor oil at Whole Foods today. I have grapeseed oil already, just need to pick a fragrance out.

8. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

I have 2 oz of basil lime with olive oil and castor also eucalyptus olive and castor oil.

9. David Green

David Green Active Member

I made my PS oil from grapeseed oil, jojoba oil and castor oil. Add some lime EO until it smelled good.
    Used it for the first time today!
    The results were outstanding! I'm not sure if it was all due to the oil since I also changed blade brands... Doh!! No irritation at ALL! And that is extremely rare for me.
    Thanks for the thread and idea. One happy shaver!

10. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I just tried this out using some grape seed oil, olive oil and vitamin E oil to go with the castor oil. Thanks for the tutorial. I am really excited to try it in my shave tomorrow.

Douglas Carey and Sara-s like this.
  11. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I took some badger shave soap that I did not like that much and I mixed it with col. conks and Williams. first I grated 1/2 puck of badger then 1/2 a puck of Williams. then melted the col. conks in the microwave. added the shredded soap and threw in some Captain's choice old school Avon after shave. I haven't used it yet but it smells great! it is fun to experiment with different things with this hobby

Douglas Carey and PatrickA51 like this.
  12. DEfettish

DEfettish Well-Known Member

I use a mixture or one part olive oil, one part grape seed oil, then clove oil for scent. It really does a nice job.

13. Moses Brown

Moses Brown Active Member

Just bought shave secret. May end up throwing it in my travel kit and get a few essential oils (frankenscence, grapefruit, geranium ... Do Terra has some awesome oils) that would al support cleanliness, repair, and calming skin.

14. ThomTT

ThomTT Member

Made some of my own over the weekend. Thanks for the info, my wife had most of the oils around the house, I just ordered the essential oil from Amazon.
    My recipe,
    4 TBS castor oil, 2 TBS Jojoba oil, 2 TBS argon oil, 1 TBS almond then 1oz bottle of sandalwood essential oil (15% Sandalwood/85% grape seed oil). Put it all into a nice glass pump bottle should be good for a while.

I ordered some eucyliptis, and bay rum (Pimento racemosa), and she has some lavender, tea tree and a few others essential oil for her soap making that I will use for my next few batches.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  15. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Made a small lavender scented batch using grapeseed oil, castor oil and lavender EO. Bottled in a 2oz pump bottle I picked up a the local health food store. Will be trying it tomorrow pre shave.

Douglas Carey, ThomTT and PatrickA51 like this.
  16. NewellVW

NewellVW Well-Known Member

Well, just got done reading this whole thread and I'm really excited about getting all the ingredients together to try this out! Sounds like a winner from all the comments.
    Think I'll find some Lavender EO and share it with the SO.
    Thanks go out to @Sara-s for the original formula and to everyone that added ideas on ratios, oils, scents, etc! So many things to try!

Douglas Carey, Sara-s and DEfettish like this.
  17. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

It is great so see so many people trying this. I hope you will post again & tell us how you like the results.

NewellVW, Douglas Carey and ThomTT like this.
  18. Sevenbark

Sevenbark Well-Known Member

Best thing I have done to improve the dry air winter shave. I used EVO a small amount of glycerine, castor, and some lavender eo. Love the creativity of the forum. Unfortunately my attempt at aftershave wasn't as good, usable but not quite the stuff.

Sara-s, NewellVW and Douglas Carey like this.
  19. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thanks Sara-s, going to make some today. I've never used a pre-shave. :thanks:

Snowed here last night so this may take my mind off Winter for a few moments.:Animatedfrozensmily:

NewellVW likes this.
  20. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Her recipe works well. I tried it out last fall!

NewellVW and Douglas Carey like this.