My Pacific Shaving Company Caffeinated Shaving Cream Review

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by BaldSoxFan, Mar 11, 2015.

1. BaldSoxFan

BaldSoxFan Member

Since I liked their aftershave so much, I picked up a tube of Pacific Shaving Company's caffeinated shaving cream last night while I was at Target. I used it this morning and here is my review.

Price: 9/10.....I believe the regular MSRP is $7.99, which isn't too bad, but for the $5.49 I paid at Target, it is a pretty good deal considering it is all natural and has some nice ingredients.

Quality: 10/10.....The cream is all natural and includes some great ingredients, such as aloe leaf juice, spearmint oil, organic caffeine, menthol, and shea butter. The packaging is nice and convenient too.

Scent: 8/10.....The scent is actually pretty mild. It's like a subtle spearmint scent that is slightly noticeable but won't clash with your aftershave.

Lather: 8/10..... It is marketed as a brushless cream I believe, but their site does say it is also great with a brush, so I used it with my boar brush. I squirted a nickel sized amount into my bowl and lathered as normal. While it isn't a thick, rich, exploding lather like some creams, it was pretty easy to lather and the little bit I used went a long way. The single nickel-sized amount was enough to shave my face and head surprisingly.

Efficacy: 10/10.....This cream provided an incredible shave and a very very faint tingle from the tiny bit of menthol in it. After I was done, my face and head were ridiculously smooth and there was no irritation, cuts, or nicks.

Moisturizing: 10/10......I'm not sure if it's the shea butter or one of the other ingredients, but my skin felt nicely moisturized afterwards. The moisturizing, to me, is comparable to Kiss My Face, but overall I like this cream better.

Recap: While this isn't the best cream I've ever used and being that I am a menthol lover, it probably won't be my go to, it will have a place in my rotation since I loved the shave quality and I always like to have a natural/healthy cream to use brushless when I'm in a hurry. I am sure that a few drops of the M-bomb could wake up the cooling factor, which in turn could make me want to use it everyday.

Norcalnewb, BeeGee and Hudson like this.
  2. MarshalArtist

MarshalArtist Psychiatric Help 5ยข

Does it keep you awake during the day? That might be a good selling point, especially as the work week draws to an ended.

3. BaldSoxFan

BaldSoxFan Member

I can't notice any caffeine/energy effect at all. It's just a clever marketing gimmick. However, my skin does feel nice and the shave was close

4. Hey guys,
    Stan from Pacific Shaving Co. here. Thanks for your interest in our products and glad to hear that generally the forum appears to be pleased with both the quality and value of our products. With respect to the caffeine, we knew that we were going to come up against the "marketing gimmick" perception, so I thought it was worthwhile to clarify that in our shaving products, caffeine's biggest benefits come from its vasoconstriction properties and its ability to help reduce the appearance of redness by constricting the blood vessels underneath the skin. (It doesn't hurt that it's a great antioxidant as well.) It sounds like the folks using the caffeinated aftershave have seen those benefits in action. Same holds true for the shaving cream. When it comes to "caffeine/energy" we go out of our way to make sure people don't think it will replace their morning cup of coffee. (Personally, I *like* my morning cuppa!) That said, when topically applied, caffeine *will* absorb into your skin and into your blood stream within five minutes. Depending on your tolerance to caffeine, you may or may not feel the direct effects. I know these forums aren't meant to be product commercials and I am posting this only in the attempt to clarify/add value to the discussion here. While not my intention, if anyone feels this post is inappropriate or misplaced, I will certainly understand and delete it. - Shaving is no way to give blood.

Darkbulb and BeeGee like this.
  5. BaldSoxFan

BaldSoxFan Member

Well Stan, you definitely have some good products. I especially like the aftershave and use it about every other day in my rotation. Now, if only you had a heavily mentholated/cooling version of these products :)

BTW, The Targets near me seem to be selling your stuff like hotcakes. I hope this means it'll continue to be available there.

6. BeeGee

BeeGee Active Member

I'm a HUGE fan of the aftershave. I'm going to have to give the shave cream a try as well.

DEfettish likes this.
  7. LaSalle82

LaSalle82 Well-Known Member

I will give it a try once I burn through a few other creams and soaps. It's on my "try it someday list". Thanks for the review.

8. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

so I really liked the AS so much that I got the SC....Very dissapointed in the cream but maybe it was just me, I have nicknamed this stuff the vanishing cream. It all started great, it whipped up easy and thick, felt thick and had a nice scent to it...however it went down hill very quickly as I did my usual (get face wet) and applied it to my face...by the time I picked up my razor and looked in the mirror I had a twilight zone moment "didnt I just put the lather on my face?"...so, I reapply and this time as im rubbing it on my face it is literally vanishing in front of my eyes, and as I look at my lather bowl it is now vanishing from there too..never had this happen before so....anyone else a have similar experience? what could have caused this?

9. TheFiveO

TheFiveO Well-Known Member

Well since I work graveyard shift, I will have to start shaving with this before my shift!!!

Oh and Stan, welcome to this community. I am not sure how long you have been around but I think you will find the community here is welcoming and appreciative. That being said, we are polite, but brutally honest, with our feed back and reviews. As a fellow business owner, I wouldn't want it any other way!

10. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Exactly my experience. One use and in the trash it went...

11. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I tried it out this morning, and to be honest I had a pretty good shave. I had a rushed morning and found out we were running late when I started shaving, so I had to quicken the pace a bit. I still started with a WTG pass with a straight and finished up with a ATG using a DE. The lather was a little thinner on the second pass, but I had enough for both. I did work it for a long time in the bowl. In both cases, I had zero irritation. In fact, the straight really seemed to glide this morning. My skin felt great afterwards as well. All in all, I felt the product worked out well, and it surpassed my expectations.