Black tip questions?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by NewellVW, Mar 28, 2015.

1. NewellVW

NewellVW Well-Known Member

My birth year is 1952 and I was thinking about hunting down a Black tip. Like the looks and would like to know the shave characteristics. Aggressive or mild? Quality? Worth a try?

A newbie to the wet shave world and still using a basic Van der Hagen razor so would this be a major improvement? Any other options in that year range that would give a high quality shave?
    Thanks!

2. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Never used one but I can guarantee it would be mild.

NewellVW likes this.
  3. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I like my black tip a lot. It's on the mild side of things. Note that there are 3-4 different versions of the black tip (different combination of aluminum and stainless steel on handle and head) but I can't remember which one(s) were made in 1952.

NewellVW likes this.
  4. trey06dmd

trey06dmd Arko eater

I've got a '52 black tip. It's a good, mild shaver. Bit light for my taste though, I generally prefer my Tech but like the black tip too.

NewellVW likes this.
  5. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

My first vintage razor was a black tip. It was competent. It wasn't anything special and I got rid of it because it wasn't filling any kind of gap that I could see. If you want one, by all means get one!

NewellVW likes this.
  6. NewellVW

Thanks guys. Having just gotten back into DE shaving I think staying on the mild/non-aggressive side for now would be a good idea. Still trying to get used to technique and while I haven't turned my mug to hamburger, I have had my fair share of weepers and burn. I can always go more aggressive later.

Mr. Shaverman and trey06dmd like this.
  7. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I had one, happen to be my brother- in-laws birth year. he liked it,so....
    but it was a nice shave. I had the steel handle with painted metal end. bout like a super speed, but heavier.

NewellVW likes this.
  8. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Mine is a 1952, and has the nickle plated Steel handle and head bottom plate. Doors are nickle plated brass and the Black Tip is plastic.....I think it falls on the aggressive side for a Super Speed which are known for being mild....maybe on the Hot side of Mild....Exactly like a 40's style Super Speed of which it is a varient. The only more aggressive Super Speed I know of would be the Red Tip mid 50's....
    I dig mine, the Senator was the only DE I thought eclipsed it....Also it's kind of cool that they only made them during the Korean War...Definitely a piece of history...

NewellVW likes this.
  9. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

For 52 you can get either an aluminum or steel handle....The aluminum ones seem to look like new forever, but they are very lite....The steel ones are the heaviest...Either are very cool....Mine is steel and while it is one of those razors where half-way through the first pass I catch myself looking to see if there is a blade in there....But after that third irritation free pass when I rinse I'm always shocked at how efficiently this beauty can deliver the goods, and how smooth and irritation free the results are....

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
    dscaver, Omaney, mrchick and 3 others like this.
  10. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I find this to be a very accurate performance depiction of virtually the entire Super Speed family. My usual razor nowadays is a Super Speed or its British cousin the Rocket. I can't remember a bad shave with either.

SRNewb and NewellVW like this.
  11. NewellVW

From everyone's awesome input I think I'm going to hunt down a black tip. Sounds quite manageable if I take it slow at first. I have read very few bad reviews on the SS line. I live in an area with tons of antique shops, Goodwill and secondhand stores. Wish me luck! The hunt begins in the morning!

trey06dmd and mrchick like this.
  12. LaSalle82

LaSalle82 Well-Known Member

I have 3 Super Speeds (40's / Flair tip / Black Handle) all are great shavers in the mild to medium range. I don't have a Black tip but a 1952 would fall in the period between the 40's & Flair tip so I would expect it to shave similarly. I believe your VDH is modeled after the Super Speeds anyway so I wouldn't expect the Black tip to shave much different. However, I'm partial to vintage Gillette's and own several, so I say go for it! By the way, we're really all here just to enable each other anyway.........

Vintage Gillette's.jpg

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
    Recklesstr, trey06dmd and NewellVW like this.
  13. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I have both a VDH and a 52 black tip. Of my super speeds, the black tip is the most aggressive other than the red tip. I have the all steel one, with the plastic tip. It will be a night and day difference between that and your VDH. My VDH is so mild it frustrates me. I would call it efficient, but not overtly aggressive. I get great shaves with it every time, regardless of blade choice.
    IMG_1046.JPG

Recklesstr and NewellVW like this.
  14. NewellVW

I know what ya mean! If I don't shave for a couple of days it takes a minimum of 3 passes with the VDH razor to get a clean shave. That's why I'm looking for something a little more aggressive. The VDH is an awesome starter tho because it is VERY forgiving of beginner mistakes! I don't think I cut myself once and only had a minor burn a couple of times which is what taught me the proper angle is critical.
    I would recommend this as a beginner setup to anyone for these reasons. I think people start off with to much razor and suffer bleeders and burn ( which can suck for hours ) and are turned off by the whole process. If you are new, try this setup and learn technique first. The whole setup is cheap enough that it will get you by for a long time if needed and you can get more aggressive later.

Drygultch, nice pic and I love that mug! Where ya get it? And thanks for your input pardner!

15. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

NP. I got the mug at a craft fair. Its locally made pottery, and is supposed to be a soup bowl. I love it for lather, and my wife was happy to get her serving bowl back.

NewellVW likes this.
  16. NewellVW

Good tip! I live in an area where there are tons of arts and craft fairs. Now I have a mission for the upcoming season.

17. NewellVW

Shaving stuff.jpg

OK guys and gals, as stated earlier, i was going out pickin the local antique shops today looking for a 1952 Black Tip ( my birth year ) and these are my finds!
    Left to right:
    1965 ( K4 ) Flare Tip
    1928 or 29 I think Old style. No numbers of any kind. Just says Gillette and Made In USA
    1950's Old Style shaving mug in awesome condition
    1951 ( W3 ) Black Tip not quite my birth year but dang, she's purty
    old wooden handle shaving brush - says Chicago pure bristle on it
    Brass blade box
    All for a grand total of $38!!! I'm pretty stoked and gonna clean em up and give em a try!
    I'll clean them up and try to get some better, individual pictures posted later.

18. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

You know this is how RAD, BAD, and other Aquisition Disorders starts, right?

jakie55 and NewellVW like this.
  19. NewellVW

Yeah, this probably isn't a good thing as the wife owns a resale shop so we hit a lot of flea markets, garage sales, estate sales, etc and the season is just getting started! Now I have a whole new purpose to be out pickin! Gonna be an awesome, fun summer.

Boojum1 and Drygulch like this.
  20. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I'm very impressed that you set your sites on a black tip and came back with one.
    that's pretty good hunting.

NewellVW likes this.