Is it just me or is the Merkur Futur and Vision UGLY

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jpb437, Jan 1, 2014.

1. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Yeah, this thread didn't do anything but make me want one....and I've never wanted a Futur before.

Darkbulb likes this.
  2. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

LOL same here

battle.munky likes this.
  3. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

me three
    this dude prolly sells them

battle.munky and Darkbulb like this.
  4. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Here's a good shaving video w/ Geofatboy:

5. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

I prefer vintage razors but i still think they are cool looking and i can understand others liking them

6. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I told my wife she can get me one. I'll leave it there since it probably won't happen. If it does, I'll report back about the virtues (or lack of them) the Futur has.

Darkbulb likes this.
  7. gms541

gms541 Member

They both have a strong "industrial" look. Don't care for either one.

8. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I like this mod that I've seen some people do on their Futurs to make the handle a bit more grippy.
    Simply add a rubber sleeve to the base of it.
    Also, I think it looks neat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Raven312 and battle.munky like this.
  9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

...and practical. My only real knock on this fine razor is the slickness of the handle. It wasn't a 'Deal Breaker'—not at all, but I found myself being extra diligent about using dry hands when shaving with it.

10. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    I posted a few times about my CKO** Futur that I bought at Shaveabuck. It was only $20 and delivers magnificent shaves. In fact, the resurrection of this thread has prompted me to use it for the last three days. Man, that is a crazy good shave. If the German inspiration is even better, then I don't see how anyone could hold the looks against it!

Shaveabuck ran out, replaced stock, and appears to be out again. For the adventurous, I found this CKO >here<. Wanna bet it comes from the same factory as mine?

**CKO= Chinese Knockoff ;)

11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

You're right, it looks neat. I do like it.
    But it wouldn't do me any good - I hold/balance mine at the indentation right above that black tubing. Never had any slip or grip issues with mine, sans any grip enhancer.

Darkbulb likes this.
  12. tales1973

tales1973 Member

I didn't care for the look, i went with the Mergress
    [​IMG]

Raven312, Hodge and battle.munky like this.
  13. Shave7

Shave7 Active Member

Both razors are ugly in a beautiful sort of way.

I bought both razors a month ago.

I have about 70 DE and SE razors, and none of them shave better than my Merkur Futur and Merkur Vision 2000. I used Merkur blades and I have tough coarse whiskers on a 77 year old face. Outstanding shaves!

Raven312, tales1973 and Darkbulb like this.
  14. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

You just have to think of them like exotic European supercars. The Gem 1912 looks like a dragon's head to me, haha.

15. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

I think they are very cool looking. Spacey! I think of 2001 A Space Odyssey when I see them!

16. HammeredThor

HammeredThor Active Member

Not a fan at all personally.. My grail is a Fatboy in decent condition but I can't see myself dropping that kind of money at the moment..

But trust me, DE shaving will save you money! <-- Most common lie I tell myself :angry019:

17. FlightMedic

FlightMedic Well-Known Member

I just traded for a Futur last night and am patiently waiting for its arrival. It is very modern compared to all of my vintage razors but I am yet to see any real complaints about them other than the usual disagreement about appearance.

Raven312, Darkbulb and Tdmsu like this.
  18. Miles853

Miles853 Member

Was unsure about purchasing the Merkur Futur as you either love it or hate it.

After getting my hands on one I'm firmly in the love camp. One of my favourite razors. The audible feedback you get is great and as a cutting tool I think it's one of the best. YMMV

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
    maltedmilk likes this.