Van Der Hagen Deluxe shaving soap review

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Shaver X, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

You are nuts. lol

Omelmad likes this.
  2. Delawhere?

Delawhere? Active Member

LaSalle82 I bought that set as my first and yes my brush has shed a little but for the price you can not beat it! Just practicing how to get a great lather

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  3. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Perhaps a little

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  4. NewellVW

NewellVW Well-Known Member

I love this soap! But to be honest I haven't been wet shaving very long and it's the only thing I've tried so far because I got the VDH starter set. I always get wonderful lather from the deluxe and the luxury soap.
    What I do is put the mug in the sink and fill the sink with HOT water to the rim of the mug but do not put water in the mug. Throw brush in the sink and jump in the shower. When I get out of the shower, I tip the mug to get just enough hot water to cover the puck while I do any prep. Empty water out of mug and squeeze most of the water out of the brush. Lather your heart out at this point! If needed, touch just the tip of brush into water, IF NEEDED! This soap doesn't seem to like a lot of water or it gets very loose and runny.
    Try this soap, it's cheap and works quite well. Down the line I would like to try some other soaps to have a comparison to VDH but trying to stick to the 30 rule as I've only been doing this for a couple of weeks and really working on the process right now.
    Enjoy your morning shave! I am!

Edit: BTW Shaver X, that was one of the best reviews I have seen on ANY product! Well done!

Omelmad and Spud like this.
  5. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I've had a puck on the shelf for a year or so. I guess I should at least try it.

Omelmad, NewellVW and Spud like this.
  6. SDK

SDK it's his fault

Enjoy this time as a new shaver. You will see many wet shavers debating/splitting hairs over which soaps are the best.

Truth be told, most every shave soap out there is a huge cut above canned foam. I remember shaving with my VDH starter kit and thinking "it just can't get any better than this".

Yes, VDH is a good soap in its own right.
    Yes, you will most likely find soaps you like better.

For now, enjoy the heck out of your VDH shaves and work on your techniques. It only gets better from here....

IDuck and NewellVW like this.
  7. Omelmad

If you don't want it send it to me. I've been dying to try it =P

8. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I'll do anything to get that soap.

Omelmad likes this.
  9. SDK

SDK it's his fault

Is VDH not available in Isreal???

10. crackstar

Now I live in Canada. It's not available here.

11. SDK

SDK it's his fault

Jeez dude. Pm me your address. I have a new in box luxury soap that has been sitting in my den forever. I will send it out Monday.

Spyder and Omelmad like this.
  12. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Well if those are my options I will absolutely use it this coming week :D

Omelmad likes this.
  13. Omelmad

Ehmm... This fits in the out of context thread =P

14. Omelmad

You better =P

15. Omelmad

Weird that it's not available in Canada. It's right there! =P

16. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

Very well written review, I don't know why I didn't see it before now. I guess Mozilla Thunderbird strikes again,(mail ending up in Spam Folder).
    I use the VDH Soaps, and enjoy them. I would recommend them to any one that is a newcomer to "Wet Shaving".
    Also to really know what to expect you need to do the "30 Day Rule"

אולי יש לך כל האושר ופסח שמח

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
    NewellVW likes this.
  17. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

I agree 100% with Carrington and many others here.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  18. crackstar

There are really very few soaps and creams available here for the most part. In Montreal where I live there's one store which sells a lot of good stuff, but Van der Hagen is not sold there, unfortunately. For this reason I have to look to my American friends. I feel terrible to have to be an inconvenience. :(

19. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

WP_20150329_002.jpg This thread got me to thinking (which is pretty scary). I can buy a puck at the local CVS for less than $2, melt it down, add some fragrance oil, WS-23 coolant and pour it into a recently emptied deodorant tube ( pictured), and hopefully wind up with a nice shave stick for travel.

Omelmad, NewellVW and kurtmill like this.
  20. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

That's what I did. I fit exactly one melted puck into an Arm and Hammer 2.6oz deodorant tube as a stick for travel.

Omelmad and NewellVW like this.