Harry's Razors

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by Kenny Ingram, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Kenny Ingram

Kenny Ingram Well-Known Member

What does everyone think about these cartridge razors (if you've tried them)? These are from Harrys.com.

I actually didn't really care about shaving (was using a Shick cartridge) until I bought my Harry's set, and that's what actually got me interested in caring about what I use... From there, I started the process of transitioning into DE shaving.

I still really like these razors, though (as compared to a Gillette or Shick cartridge), but they're cartridges nonetheless. However, since trying DE shaving again, I haven't used my Harry's set at all.

Anyone tried these?

1-1275cd012349b4a7faecc279717836cf.jpg

2. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I haven't. I tried the dollar shave club out of curiousity a few months back, but Harry's is too expensive to just do on a whim. I've heard a lot of good things about them.

GDCarrington likes this.
  3. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

They are widely available here in Europe as private label from various super markets/drug stores. They are average, you just get a nicer handle....
    Anyone is better off with a Schick Hydro or Dorco...

4. Kenny Ingram

Kenny Ingram Well-Known Member

I used them, and eventually they pushed me back into wet shaving, so I have Harry's to thank for that. I actually bought my father a set for Christmas, and he seems to like it, so that's good. If I had to use a cartridge razor now, I'd grab a Harry's.

5. BeeGee

BeeGee Active Member

My wife gave me a Harry's razor package for Valentine's Day this year. It's a really nice set. I like the razors better than the Schicks or Gillettes, but I only use cartridges for manscaping. I'm DE all the way for face and neck shaving.

6. BeeGee

BeeGee Active Member

Does anyone know of any non-Harry's cartridge replacements that fit the Harry's handles?

7. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Lord or Croma branded carts or if you live in Europe Lidl own brand...

BeeGee likes this.
  8. R.D.Nelson

R.D.Nelson Well-Known Member

I think I remember reading they also sources their blades from Dorco. Does anyone know if that's correct?? Too expensive for me to try just for a fancy handles. I tried the dollar shave club and liked it until I moved over to DE shaving. Their blades are dorco and top notch if you ask me. Had a great handle for the 6 blade setup.

9. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

No, the whole thing with Harry's is that they bought their own blade factory.

10. BeeGee

BeeGee Active Member

I've searched but can't find a link to alternatives to Harry's branded replacements. Can you share a link?

Thanks!

11. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

Man. That is impressive.

12. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

What country/continent do you reside in?

This is the delight edition is more expensive than usual:
    http://www.amazon.de/Rasierer-croma-delight-5-Klingen-Systemklingen/dp/B0063EOAA8

The normal edition: https://www.feintechnik.com/products/3
    Just search for Croma Xenon 5. These are available as private label in Lidl and certain drugstore chains in Europe.

The Lord's version is available online:

[​IMG]

PatrickA51, BeeGee and GDCarrington like this.
  13. BeeGee

BeeGee Active Member

I'm in the States. Thank you for posting that, I'll keep an eye out .

14. Terster

Terster New Member

Hi. I have been using Harry's for just over 6 months now. The only reason I gave them a try was because i found a deal where i got 2 blades, handle, bottle of shaving gel and free shipping for $20. It was one of those deals i was waiting for in order to give this a try. Like others mentioned, it was a whim purchase. So, after looking at Harry's for more than a year, i took a chance.

Up to this point i ONLY used Schick Hydro and Gillette Fusion blades. I would alternate about every 6 or 8 weeks. That's what worked for me.

Anyhow, i gave Harry's a try and boy was i pleased! These blades are awesome. They are easily every bit as good as both the Fusion and Hydro in my opinion. I was immediately hooked. So then it became a... "I wonder how long the blades will last" kind of thing. I figured they would be cheap and i'd go through them like crazy.

That too, didn't happen.

For about a year I've been logging my blades for both the Fusion and Hydro. Seems that i was going through them so blooming fast. I also started experimenting by dousing them with rubbing alcohol after cleaning them and then a few drops of mineral oil. I was able to get my blades up to about a month before needing to change them out. For me, that's pretty good. I admit i shave in the shower and i hang my razor on a hook on the wall. So they do air dry but between my shower and then my family, they probably remain more wet than if i shaved by the sink and done.

Anyhow, i did the same with the Harry's... touch of alcohol followed by a few drops of mineral oil and the Harry's are lasting just as long. So i'm now sold on Harry's.

I then bought another Kit from Harry's and upgraded to the heavier handle. I found it's worth the extra few bucks. My wife now uses the orange handle and i use the Winston handle.

The blades are interchangeable between handles.

My wife always, always used the Gillette Venus blades. Like the Fusion, another expensive blade.

She tried the Harry's one time and she immediately made comment that they are better than her Venus blades. So now... she too uses Harry's. LOL

Well, that's my story. I'm very happy with Harry's. I actually prefer their blades now over both the Fusion and the Hydro's. I have a closet full of both refills. My wife too is sold as well. It does make life a touch easier. At $2/blade, that's a great price and you get free shipping.

I tried their Shaving GEL and i found that is some really nice stuff too. It is indeed expensive at $8 for a small narrow can, but it is nice. I won't buy though unless they have some kind of special or coupon, etc.

Their customer service is really quite stellar too. I had an issue and i emailed them and they replied very fast. There was a miscommunication and i got pissed with the guy and he totally handled it well. I was really happy. He was like, "Wait, Wait... we are not on the same page... there is a mis communication. If i understood you right... you're saying ABC and what was trying to say as XYZ..." He totally diffused it, maintained his composer, was pleasant and turned a situation from a negative into a positive. Since then I've emailed them a few times with random questions and always get a great reply.

One of my questions was about where they get the blades. They told me they have them made for them, by the Fentechnik factory in Germany. He said he had just gotten back from flying over there and taking a tour. He didn't say though that they owned the factory... just that they have their blades made for them and their handles. Makes sense... that way you always need to buy their blades for their handles. For the price, it's worth it in my opinion. Anyhow... i don't think they own the factory but i do think they own their own design on how the blade connects to the handle.

If you look really close, you'll see the blades are exactly the same as the ones in Europe and in that 24 pack, or the LORDE pack which has a picture in this thread, but the connector is just a touch different.

Sorry this is long winded. I'm just really happy with how my WHIM purchase turned into such a great thing.

I did also take a close look at the Dollar Shave Club. Their blades are only 3, i think it was where as the Harry s are 5 strips per blade. In my opinion, that puts Harry's on the level of the Fusion and Hydro vs. their lower lines of 3 strips per blade.

Hope this helps.

T

Dzia Dzia, PLANofMAN and PatrickA51 like this.
  15. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

@Terster

Thank you for your post about using Harry's. SWMbO forwarded a link to Harry's to me and I really never did anything with it. And the Ram Truck forum I follow has the as an advertiser on almost every page.
    I will say this their products are about 1/3 the price of a Gillette Fusion Pro-Glide Flex-ball Razor. Without refills. A pack of refills are over 30 bucks.

I am not endorsing these and I have never tried them.

https://www.harrys.com/products/the-truman-set?utm_source=YBN&utm_medium=Unbranded_Search&utm_term=&utm_content=Razors&utm_campaign=Razors - (B)

16. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

Late to the party on this one, but I love Harry's if I have to use a cartridge. Dollar Shave Club uses the Dorco blades- and they are not nearly as good as Harry's.

If I hadn't started DE shaving, Harry's would still be coming to me every 2 months.

17. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

I bought a Harry's Winston package back in December. It arrived the day I got home from knee replacement surgery. After buzzing down my 6 day growth with my Walh, I used the gel and razor. From the start I thought it was a big improvement over The Gillette cart I was using. I bought a VDH soap, brush, and bowl set and began lathering with them and shaving with my Winston. Good shaves. Somehow I got connected with the Den and bought 2 DE's, an EJ 89L & a Merkur 34c HD. The only reason I'm keeping my Harry's is to use in the hospital when my other knee gets replaced in August. I like the whole Traditional shave thing. But thanks to you I'm going to give it to my wife. I have plenty of refills. But then SWMBO might want to confiscate my Lady Gillette blue handle slim someone picked up for me for 5 bucks at a goodwill. Immaculate condition.

PatrickA51, Knox and GDCarrington like this.
  18. 1passjoe

1passjoe New Member

I have tried the razors and the gel. The razors clogged quickly, more than other 5 blade razors. I did like the scent of the shave gel