Your Pipe of The Day.

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by KcHighLife, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

I was confused at first anhd thought you might have posted to the wrong thread, the only 1792 I was aware of was the bourbon
    [​IMG]

but a little internet research revealed there was a tobacco also
    [​IMG]

BamaT, Bama Samurai and txskimo like this.
  2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Sipping on a Parker Jockey Club full of Capstan Flake (Blue Label), it's a full Virginia. Also read that it was Tolkien's main tobacco as he wrote LOTR.

Mild, bright and sweet Virginia goodness.

I will be trying some more new to me stuff soon...

BamaT and txskimo like this.
  3. Bama Samurai

Three Nuns in an old Kaywoodie Drinkless!

BamaT likes this.
  4. Bama Samurai

BamaT likes this.
  5. txskimo

txskimo Well-Known Member

@Bama Samurai do you fold and stuff or rub out? I think I'll enjoy a bowl on the way home from work tomorrow, but for the life of me I can't keep the flake lit.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  6. Bama Samurai

I use both. Try really rubbing out the flake big time... Then let it dry for an hour. Pack loosely, and don't tamp too much, keep the draw easy. Flakes actually take time to get used to, but many flakes are super great tasting tobacco.

txskimo likes this.
  7. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

image.jpg A little Stokebye Bullseye flake in an Eric Nording pipe. Actually used a flake and a half. Poked out the cavendish center, rubbed out, then put the piece of cavendish on top, that way it tends to flavor the entire bowl. Sorry about the umbrella in the background, didn't notice that at first.

txskimo likes this.
  8. Bama Samurai

image.jpg

A little morning Escudo Navy DeLuxe, vintage Kaywoodie Drinkless, ice cold Coke and a soft Kentucky skies shared with a friend...makes for a good start to the day!

9. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I didn't get a picture, but Friday I had some Lane BS-005 in a Peterson Christmas pipe. Notice I didn't say I enjoyed a bowl of that tobacco!

Recently at a meeting of the Magic City Pipe Club, we had a Lane rep there with some door prizes. I won a jar with 4 different bags of Lane tobacco, one of them being BS-005. It's an English blend with a heavy application of latakia, and for me, overpowering.

If anyone here likes a latakia bomb, I'll be glad to send it to you, free of course. It's probably close to 3 ounces. I've also got probably 1.5 ounces of Sam Gawith Grousemoor I'll be glad to pass along. Grousemoor is classified as an aromatic, but it isn't a cotton candy gooey syrupy sweet aromatic. I'd really be hard pressed to describe it. But if anyone would like to give it a try, I'll send it to you. Let me know by post or PM.

txskimo likes this.
  10. txskimo

I might be interested in the Gawith

Bama Samurai likes this.
  11. Ceferguson

Ceferguson Well-Known Member

12. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Looks nice. I like the band on the stem, that always adds a nice touch.

Ceferguson likes this.
  13. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

You got it if you want it! If you decide for sure, PM me mailing instructions. You can go to Tobaccoreviews.com and read some of the reviews. It's a 3 star rated blend, out of 4. I don't think it's bad, I just don't love it. It's nothing at all like the 1Q you tried earlier, no where near as sweet and artificial tasting.

14. Ceferguson

Ceferguson Well-Known Member

It smokes pretty nice I bought it from a guy on Facebook that refurbishes old pipes, nice picture of your farm/ranch

15. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I've got one refurbished estate pipe that is really nice, an old Lorenzo pipe. The most interesting thing about it is the bowl shape, a rather tall, somewhat narrow bowl that flares out at the top.

I wish the farm/ranch was mine, that's actually Bama Samurai, I believe. And it is a nice picture!

Ceferguson likes this.
  16. Bama Samurai

Vintage Parker Jockey Club
    Stokkebye Navy Flake
    68F Colorado Day

image.jpg
    The pictures are from my best friend's house in Murray KY. It is a lovely place to spend time.

17. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Well I thought I remembered you living in Colorado.

18. Bama Samurai

I was driving a truckload of household goods to him in KY last week. He just bought the house over Christmas. That will be his daily morning view until he goes to meet the Father.

19. txskimo

My wife found my very first pipe last night. A nice Grabow and I decided to try out some lancers slices I received from a PIF. Not bad just seemed really mild. I'm finding my pipe taste is getting harder to completely satisfy and I'm not sure why.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  20. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

My guess is your taste is getting more refined. I kinda went through the same thing before I settled on Virginia blends.

Now, Virginia blends can be pretty broad, either straight Virginias, Virginia/Perique, Virginia/burley, or Virginia/burley/Perique. I even like some Scottish blends, as Virginias are usually the dominant tobacco along with unflavored cavendish and latakia/orientals as condiments.

I think you're going through the process maybe a little quicker than some people, and beginning to eliminate some things as not being on your favorite list. That's my guess.

txskimo likes this.