Tutorial How to make your own Pre-shave oil

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Sara-s, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Seems to be working well, however, not sure what it is supposed to do fully.
    I substituted liquid lanolin because I forgot the direction and couldn't remember the kind of oil @Sara-s had suggested.

NewellVW likes this.
  2. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Sounds good, if it works I'll be her first paying customer.

3. NewellVW

NewellVW Well-Known Member

Was going to mix some up this weekend but couldn't wait to try it so ran out last night to pick up castor oil, vitamin E oil and lavender oil. Used it this morning and got and GREAT shave and complements from the wife on the nice smell in the bathroom! :happy088:
    Had one small nick on my chin which was my fault because wife was talking to me while I shaved and I looked away for a split second. Other than that I had probably the best shave since I started. NO weepers which is unusual for me. Almost no sting from AS showing a nice, clean smooth shave. WTG and ATG and WOW! Even a nice kiss on the cheek when I was done!
    A really BIG :thanks: @Sara-s and all the participants in this thread for all the encouragement, recipes, additions, subtractions to change, embellish, improve this awesome recipe. I have many, many combos of oils and essential oils to keep me trying new formulas well into old age!

P.S. I LOVE THIS PLACE! You guys and gals rock!

Sara-s and Douglas Carey like this.
  4. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

It should soften the hairs and reduce razor friction. Not everyone gets the softening effect (probably depending on how fine or coarse your beard is) but many folks do notice the reduced friction.

Douglas Carey and NewellVW like this.
  5. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thanks for this. Does one re-apply while shaving?

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I don't. Doesn't mean you can't. Play around with it, try different things, see what works for you.

One thing I used to do was to put it on and then let it "marinate" the whiskers for about half an hour. Yup, just let it sit there on my face while I got my coffee and shave gear ready. Then I would take my shower, washing away the oil, of course. My whiskers still remained softened for my after shower shave.

As I said, have fun and experiment.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
    NewellVW and Douglas Carey like this.
  7. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thanks for you insight.

8. NewellVW

I have gotten a couple of good shaves in using this PSO. Thought after first time it might be a fluke in the improvement but it wasn't. Definitely a major help in shave smoothness and quality.

I use a nickel size pool in palm of hand just before I get out of shower and leave it on while prepping shave area. Lather over the PSO and don't notice any difference in lather quality. Had 2 days growth and razor glided smoothly thru with very little trouble. Definitely helps to avoid weepers and nicks.

If you are looking for a quality PSO and on a budget, give this a try! Once you have initial ingredients you have a supply to mix up batches for a long, long time. I like the fact that you can customize your own scents also. Enjoy!

Sara-s and Douglas Carey like this.
  9. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

:thanks:

NewellVW likes this.
  10. bnccna2

bnccna2 Well-Known Member

Made up some PSO using this recipe and it works great. Just ordered some bottles from specialty bottle to hold it. Thinking about adding a few drops of M-bomb - can I add it directly to the oil in the jar?

NewellVW likes this.
  11. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I would start with just a small amount, but I think so.

12. bnccna2

bnccna2 Well-Known Member

Thanks Sara, I will give it a try!

13. NewellVW

Good stuff! Mixed it up and been using it a little over a week and my shaves have improved a lot! Very few weepers or cuts and my skin is noticeably improved.
    This morning the wife came downstairs after her shower looking timid and I asked what's up. She says, is it OK if I used your oil?! I told her when i mixed it up and first tried she should give it a shot! She was really impressed at the ease of shaving over her cream and she loved the lavender scent I mixed up.
    That's the fun of this, it works awesome and I can change scents to things we both like. There are a lot of awesome different recipes throughout the thread. :pot: I added some vitamin E at someone's suggestion and wonder if that's part of the improvement in my skin. Have fun and play around, it's cheap as heck!! :happy088:

Sara-s likes this.
  14. Cap7597

Cap7597 Well-Known Member

I'm not a big Pre-Shave oil guy, but like making things. So I'll have to try this out. Thanks.

NewellVW likes this.
  15. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

As the old Brylcreem ads used to say, "Just a dab will do ya!"
    It doesn't require much PSO— just a few drops in the palm—to provide enough lube to one's face. And one isn't required to use it all the time. Some soaps provide enough protection that PSOs become unnecessary.

Chuck F and Cap7597 like this.
  16. NewellVW

Been using it a couple of weeks now and shaved once without for comparison and noticed a difference in shave quality. I put it on at the end of my shower and leave it on when I lather, but I bowl lather. Don't know if it would work if you face lather tho. I enjoy my shaves more now with it then without and a noticeable difference in my skin quality!
    Give it a shot, it's cheap and it works awesome at a fraction of the cost of the store bought stuff.

Cap7597, bnccna2 and Sara-s like this.
  17. Cap7597

I'll have to do that. I bowl lather too. It would probably help me too. I have sensitive skin. So have been lathering up thicker to compensate.

18. Cap7597

Yeah, I can think of a few of my soaps that could use it.

19. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Made my first batch of pre-shave oil. I kept proportions small as this is a test batch. Tried it this morning...works great. My son is going to use it as his beard oil as well.

1 Tsp. jojoba oil,
    1 tsp. almond oil,
    1 tsp. grapeseed oil,
    1 tsp olive oil,
    1/2 tsp liquid lanolin,
    3 drops lavender essential oil.

NewellVW, Spyder and Sara-s like this.
  20. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I didn't know that there was such a thing as liquid lanolin. Where do you get that?

DEfettish likes this.