First shot at a storage box

Discussion in 'Special Projects' started by idvsego, Jan 6, 2015.

1. idvsego

idvsego Well-Known Member

I just want a simple storage box to tuck the extras away in like blade supply and soaps I am not using on a regular basis. I had a stack of cigar boxes laying around and realized that one of them was almost the exact dimensions of a tackle box that is used to store some headphone gear in. Played around with it some and think it will be a good start. Just need to cut some dividers to make the compartments. Here is what I am thinking...

2 squares for soap tubs
    3 total columns for blades. 1 in half, 1 in thirds, 1 in fourths.

20150105_192509.jpg 20150105_192520.jpg 20150105_192529.jpg 20150105_233906.jpg

2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Good start.:happy088:

3. idvsego

thanks, just the planning stage right now but shouldnt be a difficult project. Not going to put a lot into it because I may outgrow it fairly quickly. Trying decide if I want to strip off the cigar decals.

Robyflexx likes this.
  4. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I like

5. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I like the idea. How are you planning to section the box?

Robyflexx likes this.
  6. idvsego

Either with some bamboo or cedar strips. I have a buddy that does a lot of woodworking so will probably just see what scraps he has. The sections won't be adjustable but I will be able to pull it out as one big insert so I could redo it if I wanted.

Robyflexx likes this.
  7. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Sounds sensible. I will look forward to more pictures.

Robyflexx likes this.
  8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Nice. I store my blades in a cigar box, also.
    Might I suggest tossing in a few desiccant packs to keep the moisture at bay.

RyX and Macros42 like this.
  9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Yep, good suggestion. I bought a bulk pack off Amazon and use some in my straight razor drawer. :happy088: Better safe than sorry.

grump likes this.
  10. idvsego

This case will probably be in my dresser but I am doing the packs anyway. No harm in it

11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup. Can't hurt, might help.

12. grump

grump Well-Known Member

I use them with de blades and straights also.

13. Warhorse

Warhorse Active Member

Well then, Ashton! If you need any help clearing out any additional boxes then be sure to let me know.

14. idvsego

I have sketched out a couple of divider layouts but I think I am opting for simplicity of construction on this one because I have already outgrown it. I am talking to a buddy about a different kind of box with more storage. He has way more woodworking tools than I do.

Bristle Me likes this.
  15. idvsego

It will do for now. Let's me keep my most used items on hand. Kept the dividers temporary because I am probably going to rework it or just use it for soap/cream.

[​IMG]

16. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:happy096: That's a really nice set up! I use wooden cigar boxes myself to store my various razor blade stash's. Only your looks so much nicer with all the extra effort you've put into making wooden dividers. I just used cardboard for my dividers, but seeing how nice yours is that may change. :happy088:

17. idvsego

It wasn't that difficult. I can deconstruct it and take more pics if it would help. I removed the one half divider because it was hard to keep stable and I wanted to be able to use it for a second razor or soaps.

18. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

cigar boxes work very well to store razors/blades. I went to my local smoke shop and got 2 for $3. it is a nice touch and it adds a touch of class

RyX likes this.
  19. InspiringK

InspiringK Well-Known Member

Wooden storage just seems right when it comes to wet shaving gear. Nice job.

Those boxes are pretty good at regulating humidity. I doubt you really need the desiccant packs unless you are in a very humid environment. If anything, I might prefer putting the soaps into a separate tupperware container. Soaps and creams obviously contain moisture, the desiccant packs will draw that moisture out and soon become saturated - then you'll just have slightly dryer soap and saturated desiccant packs. If you are worried about moisture, don't store your soaps and steel together.

nascarfandan likes this.
  20. idvsego

Mine isn't for wet stuff. Sealed soaps or razors and blades not in use. I have a shelf for products actively in use.