I'm At It Again: Jayaruh #5

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Jayaruh, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That is a very kind offer. What you could do in a few seconds takes me about 10 minutes I estimate. This is the fifth one I have done, so my technique has improved. It is satisfying for me to be able to do all of this with my few tools.

Ceferguson likes this.
  2. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

Jim,

Actually, I make the brush stands pictured in the past. This is my first venture in to brushes.

Ed

3. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Ed,
    I am feeling a little addlepated right now. Would you mind posting some pics of your stands? I do look forward to seeing your brushes.

4. Redrock

Jim...here you go.

The Romera_a made of Spaulted Maple. The wood is from my firewood pile at the back of the house. Talk about finding a diamond in the rough!! Real rustic to display the Romera Rustic Chubby Brush.

The 3Semogues_1 is made of reclaimed Chestnut barn wood.

The BarbearClassico is made of Walnut with a live edge (bark left on the edge of the wood).

The BrushStandNew1 is made of Zebra wood highlighted with Imbuya on the top and bottom and a piece of Paduak through the middle.

The Zebra is made of Zebra wood. Displays the Semogue SE nicely.

I love making the stands. As you can see, I prefer the rustic look. I generally do minimal processing (i.e.sanding) and finish with Watco Danish Oil.

Thanks for asking.......Ed

Attached Files:

Jayaruh and Mustache like this.
  5. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Ed,
    Those brush holders are awesome. I am not holding back here. I love every one. Now, you are inspiring me. You must have a planer. I've got to get me one of those.
    By the way... I am at it again, again...
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/im-at-it-again-again-jayaruh-6.44661/#post-824853

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  6. Redrock

Jim,

Thanks for the kind words. Yes, I have a planer as well as a full-up woodworking shop.....table saw, bench press drill, free-standing band saw, oscillating sander, so-forth-and-so-on. As background; at one time I did big time woodworking - computer tables, bookcases, entry tables, sofa tables, coffee/end tables, wall display racks, etc. However, after three back surgeries, I am no longer able to build the big stuff and do the heavy lifting. I am now in to making jewelry and trinket boxes out of nice hardwoods such as Maple, Oak, Walnut, Chestnut, Apple, etc. I did a craft show recently and my products were very popular. I did the first brush stand on a whim and liked it so much, built more. The problem is that I have only so many brushes so I can build only so many brush stands.

Since I love woodworking, I decided to make some brush handles after seeing your threads. I am also in to making walking canes/trekking sticks using Alaskan Diamond Willow Wood (I'll post pics). I also am making some brush handles from the Diamond Willow. Needless to say, I love woodworking. To take a blank piece of wood and turn it in to a nice finished product gives me great pleasure.

I got kind of wordy.........

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Your friend as as well as all of the folks on TSD.

Ed

7. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    I decided to go different with the finish on this handle. I stained it with a dark walnut and then finished with polyurethane. I will lightly sand and do another coat of polyurethane to finish it off. Then, it will be set aside for its new knot, yet to be determined.
    #5finish04.jpg #5finish03.jpg #5finish02.jpg

8. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Here is a little dry fit action here. I scavenged this badger knot from the Chalula handle. I just wanted to get a feel. I haven't settled on a knot yet.
    See its brother here.
    #5finish06.jpg

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015