How do you hold your straight? Which hand?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Drygulch, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

So I have watched a lot of videos online, and most of them show a grip with the first two fingers and the thumb on the tang before the scales, and the ring finger on the tail. They always show this before doing a WTG pass down thier face. They don't show how the grip changes doing an ATG or XTG pass. I am having a hard time balancing the blade while shaving up my face and neck with this grip. I straigtened out the scales today, and held it like I have been with my Feather AC, and that seemed to help, but I don't want to teach myself bad technique.

Second question, most of the videos I see show right hand right side, and left hand left side of face. Is this the normal way to do it? Coming from my Feather Kamasori style, I had been doing the left side of my face with my right hand, and the right side with my left. I would change hands to do the close work next to facial hair, but am more comfortable the other way.

Seabs, Keithmax and NCoxSTL like this.
  2. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I AM NO AUTHORITY
    still learning also.
    but my ring finger seems to stay on the tang, up down sideways.
    occasionally, the knife is opened completely, then only thumb is on back side of knife.
    I can only use right hand, for everything, even skin stretching must be done with head movement. left is of little use.

NCoxSTL and Drygulch like this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Hold it how you're comfortable and still get the job done.
    As for changing hands, "Normal" is what you make it. I hold my str8 in my right hand for my entire 3-pass shave.

ARGH, NCoxSTL and Drygulch like this.
  4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Personal preference.
    Generally, I use both hands in the process (left hand/left side of face; right hand/right side of face). I am incredibly lefty-dominant, but a year's worth of carpal-tunnel pain & surgery allowed me (or more accurately, compelled me) to develop my right hand for SR shaving. I feel pretty confident now with both hands in holding the razor.

I hold the razor similar to this first shot below for strokes from ear to nose direction; or upward strokes at the jawline (toward chin)
    SafariScreenSnapz199.jpg
    My grip for downward and upward stroke
    SafariScreenSnapz198.jpg

ObiDon, Keithmax, bdalemauger and 4 others like this.
  5. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Oyyyy, what I would do to be able to use a straight again............I miss it so much. :(

6. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

What is stopping you?

7. txskimo

txskimo Well-Known Member

Thanks for starting this conversation because I'm having a terrible time with this. Today I made some awkward grips just trying to get through the shave especially trying to go S-N

Seabs and Drygulch like this.
  8. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

On my S/N up stroke I use my opposite hand. Right hand left side/ left hand right side.I also open the handle straight to the blade and use thumb and index finger to grip the tang (balance point).

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
    Drygulch and txskimo like this.
  9. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I did this today, and it was much easier.

45auto likes this.
  10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Let's be honest: when one is starting out using a straight razor, practically every movement as you maneuver the 3" blade across your face feels a bit unsure or awkward.
    With regular use, however, the real but healthy fear of removing portions of the cheek, chin or adam's apple diminishes, and one's hand movements begin to feel more natural, confident and efficient.

Bristle Me, Seabs, ObiDon and 4 others like this.
  11. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

You have have to use what feels comfortable. Do you want razor sharp steel against your neck without comfort?

I use left hand. Left side with the grain left hand right side against and across the grain and reverse for the other hand/side. My grip is pretty normal index and middle finger on top of the tang ring finger on tail for the with the grain passes.

For against the grain (up) passes I hold the tang pinched between my thumb and forefinger. Kind of holding the sides of the razor rather than top an bottom.

Drygulch, 45auto and Keithmax like this.
  12. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Dominant hand only myself

My grip shifts as I shave, but thinking about it I am always at the balance point of the razor and my Pinky aids in control and angle

Seabs, ObiDon, Drygulch and 1 other person like this.
  13. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

The second picture is how I hold my straights. I'm right handed, but I can use my left hand to shave the left side of my face. Strangely, I can't do that with a DE.

Seabs, Drygulch and 45auto like this.
  14. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

So today I snapped some pictures of how I was holding the razor. Honestly, when I just quit thinking about it, it worked best.
    IMG_1294.JPG IMG_1295.JPG IMG_1296.JPG IMG_1297.JPG
    Please note that there were no mirrors in those pictures. You are welcome.

Bristle Me, Seabs, txskimo and 3 others like this.
  15. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

No blood? Meh......
    Actually I like what you said about how it worked best when you stopped thinking about it. Good advice and something that I think comes with a few shaves and that comfort level from still standing with no major arterial damage.

txskimo likes this.
  16. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

+1

17. Seabs

Seabs Well-Known Member

I have the same issue with DE. :)

Ryan B likes this.