It is the skill, not the tools

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Epimetheus, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Epimetheus

Epimetheus Well-Known Member

So far I have stuck with one razor, one type of blade (the Yung Li that came with the razor), and simple Nivea shave gel. The only change was getting a brush, which creates a much stiffer later in a spare bowl from the kitchen.

Every shave results in different patches of fine stubble. It all gets cut, just some areas are absolutely smooth and some feel a bit rough. It is different every time. If I can get every area smooth with a cheap blade on different days then it should be possible to get every area smooth on the same day.

The reason must be my lack of skill. It is not the tools. There is no need to immediately trade up to an exotic Merkur Vision, Feather blades, white tip brush, and whale milk soap. Maybe later. Much later.

For the next few months it is more productive to practice. Same way you get to Carnagie Hall.

2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

It's both. A carpenter has to have quality tools to build a home. The same goes with shaving, you need quality gear and practice and good technique to achieve a good shave.

HammeredThor and Ceferguson like this.
  3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Agreed. :signs011:

Ceferguson likes this.
  4. Epimetheus

Epimetheus Well-Known Member

No argument you need good tools. Not great tools

If we are in the woodshop, you don't need a $1000 Festool circular saw. Millions of people use only a good saw with fine results. Even with a shop full of saws and routers, I could not build a kitchen table, with dovetailed drawers, as fast or beautifully as the two guys demonstrating the job with hand saws and chisels.

Regarding shaving, I'll get there.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  5. RaZorBurn123

A $40 Edwin Jagger DE89 is a fantastic razor that I believe will provide years of excellent shaves at very reasonable price. Also, I believe blades aren't a "one size fit all" part of the shave, you need to get a sampler pack and try different blades.

6. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

For me in the beginning it was improving my skills then definitely the tools I used had a bigger impact. To go with the analogy learning basic skills like making a bookshelf does not require the best of skills but then when you want to build a house the tools and skill both make a difference. Blades and software seem to vary to most by person. Blades depend upon your skin and the razor and software by water and your skin. If you OCD this is a dangerous site for you as you look for an even better shave. Enjoy the journey.

wristwatchb and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  7. RaZorBurn123

Keith, you put it perfect! Since wet shaving I've become OCD. Well not really. But I do have more razors then days in the month.

8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Skill and technique are certainly required, plus capable tools to get the job done right!
    But I'm certainly not opposed to the joy of getting new fancy, quality tools as well!

9. Albert Hui

Albert Hui Active Member

Skill is 75%. But tools, the other 25% make the job much more easier and efficient.

With that in mind, keep the razor consistent and just order a blade sampler pack. You'll be astounded how much difference a 10 cent blade makes your tool into a more efficient machine.

Bristle Me and Herm2502 like this.
  10. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I agree that skill is the "KEY" factor in a good shave. Good tools or the tools that work the best for you, do however make a bit of difference to achieving a better, easier or quicker shave. Razor blades being a perfect example of a tool that can potentially make a great deal of difference to your shave.

After about 6 years or so of shaving experience, at this point,I honestly don't buy new safety razors or gear because they make my shave that much better, but rather because I have full blown "RAD"!!:happy097:
    I'm "ADDICTED" to acquiring safety razors and other shave related items and "I LIKE IT"!! :happy088:

11. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Clapton said it best:

lnxgeek likes this.
  12. rmcintyre84

rmcintyre84 Got out of the kitchen

The definition of "good" or "great" tools will also vary by person. For example, most people on here would consider the Fat Boy a "good" tool, but I still can't get a decent shave with one.

13. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

It's true that both skill and proper tools are needed for daily great shave, for me, I've somewhat gone back 50 + years to my beginnings as far as razor and brush, Gillette Fatboy and a Boar brush. I do have a number of razors and brushes but I just need the one to get that daily BBS, the others are more of a whim or a grasp of yesteryear. I found no need as personal experience to have use of expensive soaps or creams, compared some and found VDH to be my soap of choice in the past but now found that a kilo of Cella, lasting 2 years is more cost effective. I guess it boils down to what gives you the most enjoyable shave.
    Denis

14. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

True, but you are talking about a subjective evaluation here. Just by the sheer number of Fat Boy Lovers Model 195 Enthusiasts abounding on forums gives credence to that particular razor as being special. Another example: Stirling soap gets rave reviews from many of its users here and other shave forums. Great scent, great performance, great price…etc. Very popular soap. It does nothing for me with regard to getting good, consistent lather. So perhaps I'm just not skilled in my lather-making as plenty of others have no issue with the stuff. ;)

Hodge likes this.
  15. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Honestly skill only gets you so far as well as the tools. To use the Carpenter analogy again. If a good woodworker uses a dull plane to finish a piece of wood or a framing hammer to install trim the results will be less that satisfactory. So to all the people saying "Technique Technique", No it is a combination of technique and tools.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  16. rmcintyre84

rmcintyre84 Got out of the kitchen

True. But in the end, a subjective evaluation is all that counts. I'm happy for all those who love their FBs, but it just doesn't work for me. Therefore, for me, it is not a good tool.

17. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

So I guess in summation , the proper tool weather it be a Weber PH, Muhle R41, EJr89 or a vintage razor like a Tech or FB. Matched up with any array of blades and soaps, It is the combination of Technique and the Proper Tool that fits the Shavers personal preference.

BigMark likes this.
  18. otherstar

otherstar Rodney Dangerfield of TSD

I think this is almost a YMMV thing. I've been using a DE for about 7 years now, and using a mug and brush for well more than 20 years and I can get a good shave with any razor provided a use the blades that work best for me. I can get a great shave from an Astra SP regardless of which razor I use it in, while Feather's tear my to pieces (and I shave with a straight razor at least once a week). I can get just as good a shave from my Ming Shi as I can from my Futur, I just have to use different techniques to do it.

I do think that equipment makes a difference in straight razor shaving because the razor needs to be made of the right quality of steel and be ground properly so that it can be sharpened properly and hold that edge well.

19. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Let us all agree to disagree.

20. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

I'd say I have technique. Been shaving for over 2 years with the traditional ways and can (and do get), perfect results each day. I'm not saying this to brag, just to lay the foundation of my claim below.

I don't care how well I shave, but give me a Derby (just to name a blade that wont perform on my face) and I dare say, the results are poor.

So, yes technique matters, but the tools (razor + blade combo) matters just as much. You can't keep using something that doesn't work and then just say it's the technique that needs perfecting.

BigMark and IDuck like this.