The Shave Den Roster

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by MarshalArtist, Apr 14, 2015.

1. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

If it works and you do not mind that is well. I have a hard time with that stuff though since I knew immigrants as a child. It might just be me but I would rather try and fail at saying someones proper name than call them a western name. It is funny, even though I do not like working in a grocery store I have no problem understanding most immigrants. I grew up with a German grandmother and a Great aunt and uncle from the Former Yugoslavia. But that is just me. As long as no disrespect is meant it doesn't matter. Besides I think Hebrew is an interesting language.

crackstar likes this.
  2. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Hebrew is a very interesting language but it's also not an easy language unless one speaks Arabic, because the two languages are closely related. Yet, I know someone from Cameroon who speaks it so well that you would think this woman was born and raised in Israel.

BigMark likes this.
  3. BigMark

Some people just have a gift for languages.

crackstar likes this.
  4. crackstar

I speak many languages with complete native fluency but that's because I'm from a multilingual background.

5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

You are blessed, my friend!
    Oh how I wish I were more able to successfully communicate in the native language of many in our congregation! I struggle sufficiently with US English...:D

crackstar and macaronus like this.
  6. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

NAME: Michiel (but since Dutch is sort of a speech impediment, I took on the English counterpart for TSD)
    NICKNAMES/ALIASES: Mike / Macaronus / pap or papa (dad or daddy)
    WHERE YOU LIVE: Dreischor, Zeeland, The Netherlands. 'Dreischor' means three salt marshes, so presumably the (former) island consisted of... guess what!
    AGE or AGE RANGE: 48
    SHAVING RELATED INTERESTS: getting a great shave the old fashioned way, hanging out over here with you guys 'n' gals
    SHAVING EQUIPMENT YOU HAVE: have a look see over here: => *click* <= (Rolls, DE, SE, soaps, creams, badger, horse, boar and more fun)
    OTHER INTERESTS & HOBBIES: my wife and children, reading, almost all kinds of music, photography, going to the movies, archery, baking bread, camping in the mountains, sailing, learning to write more neatly with a fountain pen (leftie), plus growing interest in motorcycles (Royal Enfield 500 bullet, but need cash for lessons, suit, helmet, bike so it will take some time befor I'm on the road with this...)

Sara-s, Herm2502, Troy M and 5 others like this.
  7. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Mike, I googled your town, it's says the population is 994? Is that right?

macaronus likes this.
  8. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Yup. Should be about right. Next time the Google satellite visits us, I'll go outside in the garden and wave at ya! I'm easy to recognize: the 175 lb yellow tictac in the blue coveralls. ;)

Clean shaven, of course!

despicable-me-2-Minion-icon-7.png

dscaver, Sara-s, richgem and 3 others like this.
  9. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Including "Canadian", eh? LOL

Sara-s, macaronus and crackstar like this.
  10. RaZorBurn123

That's so cool! I've always lived in big cities, I've often wondered what it would be like to live in a town with a small population.

macaronus likes this.
  11. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I thought it was a Twinkie, not a tic-tac

upload_2015-4-24_9-56-22.jpeg

macaronus likes this.
  12. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Not quite 4,000 where I live. Believe me, it's not nearly as exciting as it may sound. And just about EVERYONE knows EVERYBODY's business.

RaZorBurn123 and MarshalArtist like this.
  13. BigMark

Small towns are ok. I loathe city life however. Roughly 5000 people in my town. Summertime is the worst. Population at least doubles, and it is out if staters. Now I understand what other coastal residents go through in summer.

Shaver X and macaronus like this.
  14. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Well, I for one like it! Step outside and you actually heaer birds in stead of cars. In my case it's about 80 yards to kindergarten and 80 yards the other way to prep school. And we've got the seashore, dunes and a (small) forest at about 15 miles. When I drove to work (5 miles) and met 6 other cars there was a lot of traffic. I actually counted it once!

Downsides: almost no shops in the village itself. Daily groceries and such at about 5 miles. As of coming summer no more buses. High school at 5 miles. 40 miles to the cinema and 'real' shops (Rotterdam, Breda, Antwerp). Remember: fuel is more expensive than in the US (about $6.50 /gallon). So driving around is expensive for us.

I was living in Antwerp (about 450.000 citizens) during my studies, so I know a bit about city life. It's nice to have everything near, but I missed the silence of the more rural villages.

If you're ever in the neighborhood, feel free to visit us. I'll be glad to show you around!

clint64 and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  15. RaZorBurn123

I remember that. :thanks:

macaronus likes this.
  16. crackstar

Yeah, sort of!

macaronus likes this.
  17. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

It stands for "No Such Agency" ;)

MarshalArtist likes this.
  18. Bama Samurai

Name: Christopher
    Nickname: Chris
    Shaving interests: 1960s injectors, great cheap AS, and spreading the gospel of technique over tools!
    Shaving Epuipment: a couple of Injectors, Utopia, the Phoenix, 53 Tech, Weishi 9306, lots of blades, soap, etc.
    Other interests: I like to read scripture/commentary, history, geopolitics and research physics. I am smoker and collector of tobacco pipes. I enjoy hanging out with Mrs Samurai and our son, and attending the NBA in Denver. I also have an interest in sound engineering and production.

NCoxSTL, macaronus and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  19. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

NAME: Patrick Bateman
    NICKNAMES/ALIASES: Marcus Halberstram
    WHERE YOU LIVE: I live in the American Gardens Building on W. 81st Street on the 11th floor.
    AGE or AGE RANGE: 27
    SHAVING RELATED INTERESTS: I believe in taking care of myself and a balanced diet and rigorous exercise routine. In the morning if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while doing stomach crunches. I can do 1000 now. After I remove the ice pack I use a deep pore cleanser lotion. In the shower I use a water activated gel cleanser, then a honey almond body scrub, and on the face an exfoliating gel scrub. Then I apply an herb-mint facial mask which I leave on for 10 minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine. I always use an after shave lotion with little or no alcohol, because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older. Then moisturizer, then an anti-aging eye balm followed by a final moisturizing protective lotion.
    SHAVING EQUIPMENT YOU HAVE: Nail gun, axe, rain coat, chainsaw
    OTHER INTERESTS & HOBBIES: Huey Lewis & The News, returning videotapes, business card stock, fitting in.

20. Bama Samurai

Too funny...

Mr. Shaverman likes this.