SoS: April 20, 2015 - April 26, 2015

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by crackstar, Apr 19, 2015.

1. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Eau des Baux is available here in Montreal, but it's rather expensive.

PatrickA51, Jayaruh, Llyr and 4 others like this.
  2. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Arko April Focus - CJB Kamisori
    April 21, 2015 - Week 4 Day 3
    Prep - Hot shower and towel
    Brush - Omega Pro 48
    Soap - Arko
    Razor - CJB
    Blade - [​IMG](3)
    Post - Aqua Velva Musk

Two full passes today though the second one was a bit awkward. Still struggling with the angles and smoothness of the blade on the face when crossing over to the left side. No blood today so definitely an improvement. Also the clean up after the second pass with the SS/Bic was minimal. Really just a small patch on the lower left neck that I never could get the blade settled down on. I'm finding when crossing over that it is difficult to get a smooth stroke. Even added extra lather and still had problems but I think it may be due to my tensing up as the shave progresses too. Need to find my Zen shave again for this one to be a complete success!

Skipped the alum today since there was no blood. Did a cold towel followed by Aqua Velva Musk and did the dance of the burning face. SWMBO was quite amused as she was in the shower when I hit my neck with the AV. Such a loving, caring woman with such a delightful laugh at my pain. Thought I'd show off my meager A/S collection with the CJB today. These are the products that keep my face on fire!
    [​IMG]

3. Mustache

Mustache Well-Known Member

21apr15
    My first use of the Astra Superior Stainless blade

EJ DE89 Kelvin
    Astra SS(1)
    Williams mug soap
    VDH badger
    C&E Indian sandalwood post

For those wondering, the Astra SS is comparable to the SP, as far as I'm concerned. Smooth and no irritation. I did nick myself once or twice and had a little dragging a couple times but that was due to me and my lack of a good lather. I tend to think I can re-hit spots after I've already gone over them twice without re-lathering. Also I used the EJ vice the 34C for the new blade first use, but am comfortable with how the EJ does with one days growth to compare.

Even still, today was the least amount of irritation and red bumps/redness left on my neck.

Of course today was good with the new blade, but tomorrow is another day...everyone knows anything can happen. YMMV.
    [​IMG]

4. Veg

Veg Well-Known Member

Last night I had a shave so comfortable I wasn't certain I was accomplishing any beard reduction. However when I was done and all rinsed off I found I had a DFS that was completely comfortable without any nicks or weepesr or irritation of any sort.

Here is last nights line up.

Lord L6 razor.
    Shark super stainless blade.
    AOS pre shave oil.
    Derby lemon shave cream.
    Brush from AOS sample pack.
    Pinaud Lilac Vegetal.

I normally don't use preshave oil but I had some that came in a sample pack that I received as a gift.

As a bonus when I picked my wife up from work she got in the car and immediately said "that smells good, what did you put on". I proudly informed her it was the Veg.

5. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Two wins....technique was spot on to create that shave and a wife who loves the Veg!

6. Veg

Veg Well-Known Member

Definitely blessed to have a wife who loves the veg.

7. trey06dmd

trey06dmd Arko eater

Aggressive April - Day 13 (4/21/15)

[​IMG]

Prep: Hot shower
    Soap: TSD Barber Shoppe shave stick
    Brush: Omega 13522
    Razor: Cadet OC
    Blade: Voskhod
    Scent: Tommy Bahama Very Cool

Great 2 pass XTG & ATG shave today. Tomorrow, I try a blade I haven't tried in the Cadet yet.

8. HammeredThor

HammeredThor Active Member

My new '60 Gillette Fatboy came in last night so I decided to make this morning old school ;)

Gillette F4 1960 Fatboy
    Person Blue Blade
    Arko Soap (First time trying it!)
    Semogue 2000 Boar Brush
    A/S Old Spice

[​IMG]

9. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great looking Fatboy. Congrats on the score.

10. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

My wife hates about 90% of my aftershaves!

PatrickA51, Troy M, Llyr and 5 others like this.
  11. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

I ran out of pomade today. How am I to be dapper without the pom-ade?!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. MarshalArtist

MarshalArtist Psychiatric Help 5ยข

A dapper man plans ahead.

13. spacehobo

spacehobo Well-Known Member

04/21/2015

Prep: Hot shower
    Razor: Gillette Super Speed
    Blade: Voskhod (2)
    Brush: Omega 80080 Boar Brush
    Soap: Maggard London Barbershop
    Post: Cold rinse, Alum block, Witch Hazel, Nivea Sensitive ASB

Another great shave accomplished. :eatdrink013:

[​IMG]

14. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Pomade? Aren't you a Dapper Dan man?!?!

15. sir_mike

sir_mike Well-Known Member

SOTD 4-21-15

Razor: ATT M1 with Bamboo handle
    Blade: Personna Blue (new)
    Soap: CO Bigelow
    Bowl: Steel
    Brush: VDH Boar

Preshave was just face wash with warm water and post shave was rinse with warm water then some cold water splashes and pat dry! I then applied the Alum block.

Razor: Broke out the M1 plate cause I was trying a new blade out and wanted a mild shave. It was good.

Blade: First time trying this blade and not sure about it. It didnt seem as sharp or smooth as the Astra SP or the Platinum Lux's I am used to. I am not sure if I will use it again tomorrow or not. I might try one more fresh blade of them to see if maybe I just didnt get the best one this time!

Cream: I used this cream before and it work very good. It lathers up easy and seems to offer pretty good protection! You can tell it is menthol though as it does seems kinda strong.

Comments: Shave was good but not great! I only managed to get a CCS not a DFS in three passes with some light touchup. No weepers but some slight irritation based on the Alum block's feedback on the lower chin and neck area. For me the razor seems pretty mild but it is efficient and will give you a great shave but i think you have to use a better blade in it, a sharper and smoother blade to achieve that.

Please feel free to leave comments on any items used as I enjoy reading them to see what others say about the gear I am using/trying out!

Thx.
    SOTD_042115.jpg

16. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Handsome guys! Brent is that the black beauty I sent you? Great picture!

17. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Mike, could you compare the M1 plate with another razor, as far as mildness? I'm thinking the M1 would serve me well. Thanks! Kerry

18. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Tuesday Shave

Pre: Shower
    Brush: VDH
    Razor: Merkur 23c
    Blade: Sputnik
    Cream: Proraso Blue

A very solid DFS. I really like the way the Proraso Blue balm feels and smells once it dries down. Now, if only Proraso would release a Red balm and a Blue Pre, I'd be happy.

19. sir_mike

sir_mike Well-Known Member

I would say it is close to the Weber but not quite the same with the ATT M1 being milder. I would also say that the M1 is slightly above the R89 in aggression. Not sure it that helps at all as it is just my opinion. I think it is a bit too mild and I like the R1 as I think it is more efficient but still not too aggressive. Probably about mid aggression level.

I will also say that it is not as mild as the Feather AS-D2!

I would be happy to send you my M1 plate to try out for a week if you want. Just let me know.

I forgot to add that I can also send the top cap and either a iKon Bamboo handle or the Maggard MR1 handle if you need them! :)

Thx.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  20. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

It is! It gets alot of love!