SoS: May 18, 2015 - May 24, 2015

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by crackstar, May 17, 2015.

1. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

TGIF Planned SOTD
    Razor: Gillette Red Tip
    Blade: Feather (D3)
    Brush: M&F 26mm 2-band Blonde
    Bowl: ShaveWorks 4.25"
    Pre Shave Scrub: RazoRock GLO
    Pre Shave Oil: Homemade Bay Rum w Lime
    Shave Soap: Pyrate's Cove Bay Rum
    Aftershave: Ogallala Bay Rum w Sandalwood
    Cologne: Ogallala Bay Rum X2 strength

[​IMG]

LaSalle82, NCoxSTL, ObiDon and 24 others like this.
  2. bald as

bald as Well-Known Member

Yet another superb shave using the 1924 and the GEM SS blade. [3]
    Due to chipping the rim of my scuttle the other day I face lathered today with my #6 Turkish and my homebrew soap.
    1 pass WTG and some minor touchups ATG and the shave was done. Not only will my DE's never taste lather again, my other SE's are looking nervous and lonely. Why did they make any other razors after the 1924? The angle on the 1924 is so easy that ATG on the neck cause zero irritation. My opinion - the 1924 is streets ahead of the 1912 and the 1912 is brilliant.

NCoxSTL, Jayaruh, Martin-j and 19 others like this.
  3. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Patrick, it is good to hear from you, and I enjoy seeing your SOTD posts. I hope your hands start to feel better soon. Take care of yourself, and have a restful Memorial Day weekend.

NewellVW, ram57, vwp528 and 6 others like this.
  4. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Planned TGIF SOTD
    [​IMG]

Vintage Merkur razor
    Gillette spoiler blade
    Plisson Access badger brush
    MdC Huile Vegetale pre shave
    L'Occitane Cade shaving cream
    Myrsol Masaje Antesol aftershave
    L'Occitane Eav Des Bavx EdT

Another decadent shave lined up for tomorrow. I have totally spoiled myself with top notch products that really do take shaving to the next level.

5. sir_mike

sir_mike Well-Known Member

SOTD 5-21-15 Attempted

Razor: Parker stainless shavette
    Blade: Derby (1/2 blade)
    Soap: Proraso White tub
    Brush: VDH Boar
    Bowl: VDH

Preshave was just wash face with soap and hot water. Post shave is cold water rinsing and pat dry.

Today's shave didnt go as planned. I did my lather just fine and started to use the shavette and all is going okay on cheek areas while trying to maintain angle and see what I am doing. Jawline wasnt too bad but I felt that I didnt have the right angle or something as it didnt seem to remove much beard during the pass. I then went to the mustache area and found that I could not just stick it in their and shave downward as I tried that and immediately got a small weeper and new it by the "poke" I felt so I can at it sideways and that seemed to work okay. Then I went on to the chin area below the lip. Also trying to maintain my angle and got a few swipes downward and working my way down and bam, felt another poke. There is was a bleeder which would not stop for nothing so it cut my shave short! I grabbed the Wolfman and did a quick finish of the one pass so the shave was at least somewhat uniform with a pass done. It took a long time for the bleeder to stop, at least a few minutes or so and yeah I had the Steptic pencil on it too. Once I finally got to stop with cold water and a half of steptic stick, I see there is a small cut about an 1/8 inch or so there. I am really not sure how it happened though unless I was more worried about my angle then where the actual blade was at during this time!

Anyway my final thoughts are that I am unsure on the shavette as it seems too small to use and you really cant see the tiny bit of blade exposed. Also it seems like my hands get in the way of seeing the blade end almost like creating blind spots as my hands are between the eye sight and the blade end. I even tried the right hand cross on the left side of my face in efforts to eliminate the "blind spots" I speak of and it worked okay on my cheek areas towards my jaw line but IDK. I do know I will do some dry passes with it and see if I can figure some things out. I can see where a real straight is probably easier!

Thx. and sorry no pic today as I didnt get that far! :)

6. Recklesstr

Recklesstr Arkoholic

[​IMG]
    Friday Morning Shave
    Razor:
    NT Vigour S1.5 (Futur Replica)
    Blade: Rapira Blue
    Brush: Vie-Long White Horse Hair
    Bowl: Touch Me
    Cream: Arko Sensitive
    After Shave Balm: Yves Rocher Sensitive

I had a close shave except the neck area. I had better results with Gillette safety razors or amazing Yuma, but imho NT Vigour is an OK shaver with an aggressive behaviour.

7. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I had probably the best shave all week so far. That vintage Colgate stick lathers like a maniac and does it ever smell nice. It leaves a good post-shave feeling also.

8. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Brush Focus: Day 21/30
    Brush: Frank Shave Brush, Rosewood, Best Badger 22/55
    Gillette Super Speed, Red Tip (1955- A-3)
    Gillette Platinum Blade (7)
    Soap: Proraso,
    A/S: Gillette
    Old Spice Coffee Mug.(soak brush)
    Yesterday's shave went very well. I've used this brush with a number of soaps, all have worked well. Other than the fact that I had to polyurethane the brush with a couple of coats when I received it this is a good shave brush. The Gillette Red Tip is an outstanding razor. Thanks @Omaney. I haven't tried the Gillette Blue Tip yet, but will soon. I have also been very pleased with the Gillette Platinum Blade. Today I will start my shave week with my another Frank Shave Brush, Beechwood, Bes Badger, and Gillette 1965 (K-4) Slim Adjustable and the Platinum Blade. Outstanding shave week.:happy088::happy088:
    Golf Tournament today, should be fun. (Teachers Tournament).
    Have fun and play nice.
    FocusBrush 5 21 15.jpg

9. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Got that right @PatrickA51. Hope you are feeling better soon. Could be a little stress also. I have issues on Memorial Day (Ricky Lee Doye), but that's another story. Be safe!
    127logo.jpg
    DougBingVietnam.jpg

10. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

today's shave
    hot water wash with nivea men's
    @oscar11 omega boar
    @fishcrow @Queen of Blades BOMBED Gillette shave creme (box tour)(TSD m-bomb)
    @Bama Samurai Gillette slim(j2)(7)
    Ladas(1)
    Gillette after shave lotion
    Gillette a/s splash
    today's shave was ok. lots of Gillette in today's ritual. I bombed the shave creme, whipped it up in a bowl today. birthyear slim did a good three pass, pretty close. finished with a couple of Gillette a/s products.
    hope y'all did as well, or better.
    20150522_073153.jpg

11. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Schick M1 razor
    Personna blade
    Dr Selby 3X SC
    Plisson/L'Occitane brush
    Osage Rub/Witch Hazel/Sage mix
    Barbasol Brisk A/S

Trying to find the right setting on the M1 has been interesting. Got it now and had a great shave. Enjoy your weekend gentlemen

12. LaSalle82

LaSalle82 Well-Known Member

Excellent 2-pass shave this morning with the Tabac

13. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

6/8 T.I.
    Cade
    homemade brush with a Shavemac silver tip finest
    This is a good brush. If I didn't like boar so much I could get real serious about this badger. Nice shave this morning. Have a good one.
    [​IMG]

14. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    razor: EJ D89
    blade: Treet Platinum (1)
    soap: artisinal soap
    finish: Gillette AS

I have been rotating razors over the past few weeks, most recently using new-to-me razors. I used my first ever slant, a 37C, thanks to @Omaney. I tried a crusty but functional Hoffritz slant, and my grandfather's Gem Jr (for some CRAZY good shave, too!). However, today I returned to my EJ DE89. I plan to keep this razor forever. If I lose it, I will buy a new one. It may not be super-fancy or distinguish itself by any single measure, but it delivers the most consistent, irritation-free BBS of all my razors. It is my baseline.

This morning was two passes, touchups, two small weepers and almost no sting from Gillette Cool Wave AS. Shaving with the EJ is rather like my commute to work. I drive and pay attention, but the route is so familiar that a different part of my brain is driving than when I am in unfamiliar territory.

So what of other razors? I don't ever expect to really find THE ONE. However, I think I could (someday?) reduce my stable to just ten (the size of my razor rack). The EJ has to be one of the ten. I mean... could you ever give up burgers from your grill... permanently, I mean? You may not eat them every week, but they're too delicious to drop. They're too essential to get-togethers and tailgate parties. They're just too darn American to forsake! Well, my EJ is like that... just not the American part.

According to the USPS, my Maggard MR6 and open comb head arrive tomorrow. I am super excited to put them through their paces. Also, I haven't used an injector for awhile and really want to take one for a spin. However, in two to four weeks, I'll be lovin' my EJ again and I'm already looking forward to it. It feels like coming home.

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  15. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Fantastic looking brush. The Shavemac finest really is a very nice knot.

wristwatchb, ram57, vwp528 and 3 others like this.
  16. Llyr

Llyr Stay frosty, my friends!

Friday
    hot shower/cold water shave
    Omega Proraso brush
    Prep PSB :love055::love055: :smiley freezing:
    Prep SS :love055::love055: :smiley freezing:
    Schick Revere/Pella coated injector (3)
    cold water rinse
    Monster Block Alum
    cold water rinse
    Tend Skin
    Pe-Re-Ja ASL
    Imaginary Authors Falling Into The Sea

Stay frosty,my friends and enjoy the weekend ! :cool:

17. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

SOTD
    Face and head shave
    May 22, 2015
    Prep: Hot Shower. Axe Shield Face Wash
    Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89 w/MR5 handle
    Blade: Ladas
    Brush: Orange & Black 22/52mm Silvertip by KonigShaveDesigns
    Lather: Catie's Bubbles Le Marche Du Rasage (LMR)
    Aftershave: Folsom & Co. Shambala
    I needed this shave. I haven't shaved my head in almost a week, letting it heal. CBLMR is awesome! I bought out my SF Giants brush in honor of sweeping the Dodgers! How about them Warriors! Go Dubs!
    A better tomorrow. Takes your best today!
    image.jpg

Llyr, LaSalle82, wristwatchb and 23 others like this.
  18. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

05/22/2015
    Razor – Mongoose B2 with Jürgen Hempel Ti
    Blade – Feather Super Pro (10)
    Brush – Rudy Vey with TGN Finest
    Lather – Mystic Water Lime
    Post - Witch Hazel and Myrsol Limon Sample

[​IMG]

Very good 2 pass shave this morning. Should have been better but maybe I drank too much coffee before shaving. This was my first time using Mystic Water shaving soap. I was able to get a good lather and I'm sure it will improve as I get the soap/water ratio dialed in. The scent was out of the world. A very tart lime with no hint of sweetness. The Myrsol Limon from the sample pack complimented the scent of the soap very nicely. Have a great Friday and a fantastic weekend.

Llyr, LaSalle82, wristwatchb and 23 others like this.
  19. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

FB Friday
    I set my FB on 7 for the first pass on my cheeks today and I didn't feel much difference from five. Maybe the smooth shave feel will last longer. I finished up on four. I kept it at three on my neck as that seems to work comfortably.
    The Colonel made quick work of Rhapsody, and the Awesome is a nice compliment to the scent.
    Prep: Mickey Lee Lime
    Soap: B&M Rhapsody
    Brush: The Colonel
    Razor: Gillette FatBoy
    Blade: Astra SP (2)
    AS: B&M Awesome
    [​IMG]

Llyr, LaSalle82, wristwatchb and 24 others like this.
  20. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

Thiers-Issard 7/8
    Martin de Candre
    Shavemac D01 brush
    Coconut oil

DSCF1999.jpg

Llyr, wristwatchb, NCoxSTL and 23 others like this.