May 2015 30 Day Rule/Focus Pic-Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Bama Samurai, Apr 29, 2015.

?

What is your razor type of choice for May?

Poll closed May 1, 2015.
  1. DE

66.7%
  2. SE or Injector

20.0%
  3. Traditional Straight

13.3%
  4. Kamisori/fixed or replaceable

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Shavette/barber razor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Carts/Disposables

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Other/Not Listed (please post choice on thread if desired)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

:signs011:

And an impressive strop as well! That's the first time I've seen one that is personalized.

2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I hope you and your bride are enjoying springtime in the hills! Have safe travels.

3. Bama Samurai

Day 21

30 Day Rule with a Schick!

image.jpg
    I realized as the blade hit my face that I had neglected to change it. Day nine at this point, maybe?

I was able to get really good lather going today, so I decided to attempt one pass BBS. While I didn't get yo my goal, one XTG pass was good enough to pass inspection, albeit with a little touch up. A nice easy shave on a blade that's really only tugging a little, possibly emphasizing the importance of lather. The key to success today seemed to be slickness of the soap when used with the stretching techniques I been mentioning. This month I have really been focusing on staying true to the growth pattern. Much like @TroyM stated above, I also learn great stuff each month. One reason I keep doing a rule/focus is that I feel it let's me fully experience the potential of whatever tools I am using that month. I should probably change my blade tomorrow....

Have a Happy Friday!
    :)

4. Bama Samurai

That is so cool. All of it...very nice looking strop! Razor looks amazing too! It's really neat how it all arrived at once. And remember, a scar now is nothing more than a story later! I hope you really get the most out of it! Good Luck!

Kudos to @Drygulch on the design!

5. jakie55

jakie55 Well-Known Member

SIGH.... My three day pass is over, and I'm back to prison....(well, I do work there.....:D) This last week-end was our Victoria Day (for Queen Victoria) long week-end, and I finished my last shift on the Monday Morning. My Bride (all of 6 months!) and I both had the three days off together....BLISS. Today, on my first night back, I had my day two shave with the Astra SP it was almost as good as first pass shave as yesterday, but a little less smooth. My result was a great two pass DFS - BBS, with a little irritation on the neck, which was probably technique, not blade. Another great blade.... Now to figure out how many shaves I can get on this blade.....

6. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Brush Focus: Day 21/30
    Brush: Frank Shave Brush, Rosewood, Best Badger 22/55
    Gillette Super Speed, Red Tip (1955- A-3)
    Gillette Platinum Blade (7)
    Soap: Proraso,
    A/S: Gillette
    Old Spice Coffee Mug.(soak brush)

Yesterday's shave went very well. I've used this brush with a number of soaps, all have worked well. Other than the fact that I had to polyurethane the brush with a couple of coats when I received it this is a good shave brush. The Gillette Red Tip is an outstanding razor. Thanks @Omaney. I haven't tried the Gillette Blue Tip yet, but will soon. I have also been very pleased with the Gillette Platinum Blade. Today I will start my shave week with my another Frank Shave Brush, Beechwood, Bes Badger, and Gillette 1965 (K-4) Slim Adjustable and the Platinum Blade. Outstanding shave week.:happy088::happy088::happy088:
    Golf Tournament today, should be fun. (Teachers Tournament).
    Have fun and play nice.
    FocusBrush 5 21 15.jpg

7. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

May 22nd , SOTD (Shave 12 of this focus)
    Two days’ growth
    Prep: Hot Shower
    Razor: W.B. Speed Rabbit marked, square point 9/16, with black plastic scales
    Strop: Drygulch Chromexcel Horsehide and Linen (only stropped after shave)
    Soap: Barrister & Mann's Fireside (Brandy scented)
    Brush: 24mm Finest Badger in Quilted Walnut handle
    Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Alum Block, Thayer’s Witch Hazel
    Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman
    IMG_1403.JPG
    New to me razor and new brush this morning. Did my N/S pass, then a S/N pass, and covered WTG, XTG, and ATG on my chin. Did some touch up on my neck. Overall, DFS, but 95% of my face and neck are BBS. Did get some razor burn, and a few weepers where I went over my neck too much. Got the best shave I have gotten on my chin in quite a while. The alum did have some bite today, and the aftershave as well.
    Brush was great. Had soaked and lathered it once already, to help get rid of the new brush funk. This beast holds a lot of lather. Did three passes, but had enough lather to do at least 3 more. Very soft brush, did a great job bowl lathering, then working the lather into my face. I really like the woodwork on this one. I am looking forward to getting to know this brush better.
    I haven’t done a good job on staying with my focus of one razor this month. This is the fourth one I have used. Apparently, my newest AD is kicking in pretty well. For next month, I will be trying to use each of my razors for 3-4 shaves in a row, to try and get to know them a little better.

8. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Thank you, Chris. I appreciate the good words. I hope you and your Bride have a nice weekend.

9. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

05/22/2015
    Razor – Mongoose B2 with Jürgen Hempel Ti
    Blade – Feather Super Pro (10)
    Brush – Rudy Vey with TGN Finest
    Lather – Mystic Water Lime
    Post - Witch Hazel and Myrsol Limon Sample

[​IMG]

Very good 2 pass shave this morning. Should have been better but maybe I drank too much coffee before shaving. This was my first time using Mystic Water shaving soap. I was able to get a good lather and I'm sure it will improve as I get the soap/water ratio dialed in. The scent was out of the world. A very tart lime with no hint of sweetness. The Myrsol Limon from the sample pack complimented the scent of the soap very nicely. Have a great Friday and a fantastic weekend.

10. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

MAYhem & Mercy
    May 22, 2015
    Prep - Hot shower and towel
    Brush - VDH Boar
    Soap - Proraso Green
    Razor - EJ DE89L
    Blade - sharp-stainless.jpg (1)
    Post - Alum, Nivea Balm

The Sharp takes center stage again in the Mercy configuration. So far all of the blades have passed, even the miserable Baili, even if by the narrowest margin. The Sharp...........continues the trend. This blade is still on the dull side but in the EJ it actually performed very well. Three full passes and I had a DFS. Can't really complain about that. As with all of these blades it takes extra work to get there but it can be done and, in a good razor, can be done fairly comfortably in this case. I have no plans to order any of these but given their reputation I'm happy to say they aren't the worst blade I've tried.

Speaking of the worst blade, it's back on the menu tomorrow. The Diving Duck....I mean Flying Eagle is up for the EJ tomorrow since the Sharp did so well today. I'll be meditating the rest of today to try and calm my fears knowing what's approaching! Have a good Friday.

11. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

image.jpg

Blade Focus Day 22:

Homemade PS Oil
    WD High Mountain Badger 30 mm
    Stirling Cocoa Forest
    Ralf Aust 5/8
    EJ Chatsworth Barley
    Derby Super Stainless
    Stirling Unscented PSB
    Clubman Vanilla AS

Great shave today as I went into work late and got to use a straight for the first time in over a month. I also shaved with my little boy, so it was extra-special. Nice DFS this morning. I finished up with the DE and Derby blade, so I am still going to count it as part of my focus.

12. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

[​IMG]
    Here are my brushes I am focusing on. Left is an Omega silvertip, right is a TGN finest. Both are quickly becoming favorites (can you have 5 favorite brushes?) and I am really enjoying face lathering with them. Soak for less than a minute, shake em out and load them up and get after it. Always plenty of slick creamy lather that is sufficient for more than 2 passes, even though I only make 2 passes 90% of the time. Did I mention that I might be a badger/horse/synthetic/boar convert?

13. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Yes you can have many favorite brushes. The thing I like about badger brushes is how different they can be and the variety they offer.

14. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Day#21 of the 30-Day Focus
    ..and Day#1 of 7 with the J. A. Henckels Zwillingswerk #472 'Friodur' Straight Razor.

Day One using the largest straight razor this month (nearly 7/8" blade width), the 'Friodur' razors ('major cold')—cryo-treated, high-carbon 'no stain' steel, have a reputation for taking and holding a good edge. This razor was fresh off the hones, finished with the Apache Strata natural stone (est. 10-12k).
    Today's shave was probably one of BEST SR shaves I've ever had! :love055: What made this one different? I've talked the past few weeks on the smoothness of the feel of the previous razors (Böhler, Otto Deutsch, Böker) on the face.
    The Friodur just raised the bar! Imagine if you were shaving with an SR that was completely blunt (not unlike actors who pretend shaving onscreen). No tugging, no nicks, no irritation—the blade simply glides across the lathered face. Of course you wouldn't be actually removing hairs with that blade! This is the closest I've come to that feeling using this big Friodur razor—although the constant sound of whiskers being removed was evidence of a VERY sharp edge. So smooth! I completed three passes and decided to relather for some 'touch-up' just for kicks. Results? A true BBS shave with no irritation.
    This should be fun week!
    :happy093:

[​IMG]

15. txskimo

txskimo Well-Known Member

I think I need one now

16. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Straight Razor RAD seems to be a much harder one than DEs. Its like DE RAD is the Gateway AD, then you get SAD, BAD, ASAD, and a harder version of RAD.

I've had enough 12 step programs. I'm gonna roll with this one.

17. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Brush Focus: Day 22/30
    Brush: Frank Shave, Beechwood, Best Badger- 22/55
    Gillette SS, K-4 (1965) Slim Adjustable. (5).
    Gillette Platinum Blade (1)
    Soap: Arko.
    A/S: Clubman Lime
    Old Spice Coffee Mug.(soak brush)

The brush didn't seem to work all that well with the Arko soap, however, I am not used to applying soap sticks. Probably my error. I do like this brush. It did loose a few hairs today which may have been my unfamiliarity with this soap water mix. The Gillette Slim Adjustable I like. I'll stay with the Arko for a few days and a couple of brushes to see if I can work out the right combination. I don't seem to be very good at focusing my camera. Maybe I should use my reading glasses.:)
    FocusBrush 5 22 15.jpg

18. txskimo

txskimo Well-Known Member

DE RAD was like caffeine but straights RAD is like crack

Bama Samurai and Drygulch like this.
  19. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

How do you like this brush. I have a Finest Badger and I really like it. Nice picture also.:happy088::happy088:

Bama Samurai likes this.
  20. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you. I really like the brush. It has great backbone and very little scratch. I only wish it was a little larger.

Bama Samurai and txskimo like this.