All the lather goes on the sides of the brush and not on my face

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by 7055, May 22, 2015.

1. 7055

7055 Active Member

I use a pure badger brush and have been using Baume.BE shaving cream and the problem I have is that when I go to apply the lather on my face, all the lather just goes on to the back and sides of the brush and not on the part of the brush that I put on my face and it doesn't go on very well. Maybe I just need a better brush? I ordered a Parker Synthetic off amazon the other day so I will be giving that a try as soon as it gets in.

The other thing that is odd is that it seems like my Baume.BE doesn't lather as well as it used to when I first bought it either.

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Try what I call THE CHIN ROLL. Hold the brush horizontally, place the base of the knot against your chin and roll the brush. Should squeeze out a bunch o' lather.

3. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Never knew there was a name for that technique!

4. 7055

7055 Active Member

I will try THE CHIN ROLL, but is this a problem known to pure badger brushes?

5. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

Are you face lathering or using a bowl? Face lathering will cause the brush to hog a bit if you don't paint some lather on. For bowl lathering I create a good lather then swish the sides of the brush on the sides of the bowl to squeeze the lather toward the tips.

6. 7055

7055 Active Member

I am bowl lathering. It occurred to me though, I think the problem is worse when I let the brush soak, pre-shaving, then when I don't.

7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Hey, I do the chin roll, too.

8. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

The water higher up in the knot is helping create lather. Give your brush a good shake to get the water down before creating lather. Some brushes are lather hogs. They just seem to like keeping all the lather close to the handle. Squeezing the lather towards the tips or painting instead if swirling helps.

cubancigar2000 likes this.
  9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Just something I discovered for myself many years ago.

10. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Great answer