shavette/feather vs traditional straights

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by mantastic, Aug 3, 2011.

1. mantastic

mantastic New Member

after reading posts I noticed that people who like disposable straight razors are those who learned with them, like myself, while traditional straight razor users seem to have more against them. I guess maybe because it's easier to go from a shavette or feather to a traditional razor rather than the other way around? Am I right?

Im thinking bout getting a Feather RG when i get the chance because I like the challenge of shaving with a straight but don't think i'll have the patience to learn the sharpening of a traditional.

2. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    One is exactly as you stated a "Tradition" where the other is simply a "Machine"

With a traditional straight razor you have to embrace the entire challenge, and trust me there is one, but you become near self reliant in the process... Barring any bad accidents you could never have to buy another blade for your lifetime, and enjoy close comfortable shaves...

With the Feather you are still waiting for a machine to produce your blade..

It really comes down to why you are "Wet Shaving" in the first place, for some of us it is more of a hobby and a true ritual then just getting the beard off our face :)

This is something I have posted a few times in a few places, but basically it covers most of us on these forums...

The "Types of Shavers" that we are

The Retro/Hobbyist - usually the older more established members that feel shaving this way is a treat/hobby and only the best of the best works for them, and comfort is usually their objective..

The Shaver - This is the high performance guy, who is after the closest shave with the best equipment possible...

The Flavor of the Week - This is a shaver that is changing their opinion every week as they buy more and more equipment always chasing the next great thing...

The Economist - They are going to tell you all about the cheapest of the cheap I mean after all we are just shaving here ain't we???

The Environmentalist - Another minimalist but in a different vein than the Economist, they normally look at brushes, soaps, and strops, a bit differently...

I know there are many of us that fit into a few of these categories, and perhaps there are more categories out there, but this is us in general...

3. mantastic

mantastic New Member

I get it. So those who use disposable blade straight razors might fit under the same category as a DE razor user, yes?

4. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

Mantastic, for me it was an adventure, or extending the shaving adventure. Once I was comfortable with my technique with the DE, I wanted more. Rather than buy a cut throat, some of which can be pricey, I opted for an $8 magic shavette. There is very little room for error learning to str8 shave with a shavette because in my opinion, the blade seems more flimsy than that of the cutting edge of a true str8. I have now become slightly comfortable with the true str8, but am glad that I had the practice with my shavette. There were 2 pluses with the shavette for me, price, and the blade is smaller than a true str8. In either case, I have found that I can shave with a DE with a minimal of prepping. With a str8, I have to prep a whole lot more, in order to get a comfortable shave. This is a plus for me, because it makes the shaving ritual last a bit longer, which is much more enjoyable.

5. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    Mantasic: I get it. So those who use disposable blade straight razors might fit under the same category as a DE razor user, yes?

Pretty much -BUT- they require much more manual dexterity to use safely...
    You also have to understand that many of these are not actually even designed for shaving the face they are designed more toward using them for doing razor cuts for hair...
    The actual Feather system works rather well, I have tried that myself, but it is capable of a pretty harsh shave if you are not very careful.

6. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

Glen
    One question I see over and over on all the forums is " What is the difference in shaves between the Feather, Shavettes and Tradional Straights? Is the Feather shave comparable to that of the Straight razor. This question pops up all the time , its usually DE guys who want to get into straights . Can you provide a informed opinion one to be able to pass on ?

7. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    In the actual results of the shave ie: Removal of facial hair, there isn't much difference at all between any of our various methods of madness :)

I do honestly believe in my heart of hearts that a Traditional straight razor is the most "Skin Friendly" method out there, once you learn the tricks of the trade for it. The fact that it allows for such huge variations in angle of attack, pressure, and even different edge finishes, I think puts it slightly ahead in the comfort department.. But it does require dedication to get it all clicking the right way, heck I have been using them for over 30 years this summer and I am still learning new things...

Now with comparing a Feather directly to a SR here are the differences I think pertain..
    The Feather seems to mellow with a few shaves - The SR can be mellowed with a strop before every shave
    The Feather requires intense concentration during the shave - The SR not so much (depending on the razor)
    Sharpness on the Feather is extreme - Some SR's can match that sharpness, but they still seem to feel more mellow on the face.
    The Feather is rather expensive in comparison to most SR's - the lowest price Feather runs a bit over $100 and at some place $150 and up I can literally shop on ebay any day of the week and find an excellent SR for $15 (yes I do know how to restore them so that helps) The honing aspect is a wash at the least, since the Feather blades cost about the same as a Honing would from a profesional...
    The Feather is much much easier to maintain, it truly is a no hassle SR..
    If I did not enjoy the entire experience of the Traditional straight razor I would use a Feather...

Hope that helps a bit, instead of confusing the issue even more :)

8. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

Much Thanks Glen, it helps mightily.

9. mantastic

mantastic New Member

I think I would be worried about not being able to sharpen it right with a hone for at least a while, and if I sent it off to get honed, what would I do in the mean time while its off getting sharpened? Im hoping that the feather is at least better than the shavette on my face, do you know if it is?

10. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    The Feather is at least designed for shaving the face primarily, with a shavette I guess it depends on which one it is, and how it is set up, but I personally stay away from the ones that use either a split DE or a Derby style blade, I honestly feel those are more for cutting hair then beards...
    I did not say You couldn't do it, I just wouldn't risk my Hollywood face with one :bounce015: :p

But yes I think the Feather would be an better choice

11. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Glen, this is an excellent analysis of the shaving world not just the straight blade shaving realm.

I would add one to the list if it is outside of the straight blade shaving realm or wet shaving in general.

The I Don't Want to Be Bothered With Shaving At All - These are the people who want to shave with whatever is quick, regardless of price, quality of equipment, quality of shave, skin issues, etc., or they grow a beard.

12. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

From what I can see, The Retro/Hobbyist, The Shaver, The Economist and The Environmentalist, as you have defined them here, are reasons why folks turn to traditional wetshaving. In the end, they wind up being the same thing.

Regarding the Dovo Shavette and Feathers, why would one choose them over a traditional straight razor or a safety razor? They must fulfill a need and satisfy a market demand or they would not be sold. Although some straights are incredibly high quality and unbelievably expensive, there are also fine examples to be had at very reasonable prices. If the goal is to have a disposable blade razor, then why not an easier to use double edge model?

13. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

Whats changed in the DEcentric world of the shaving forums has been the relationship of the shaver to the Dovo Shavette and Feather. If you look back at forum archives they have always been used and sold by DE users as novel ways of shaving, like injectors or SE's . Straight razor popularity on the major forums just goes back a few years. More and more DE users have been interested in trying straights for various reasons. DE users then look at the equipment, knowledge and new skills needed for straights, shaving , stropping, honing and then say " well its complicated" compared to the DE. We then ask is " there an easier way" and ask if the shavette or Feather razor are " just the same" as straights or if there use is training for traditional straights.

14. mantastic

mantastic New Member

why I would choose a Feather over a straight is because of the sharpening required. why i would choose a feather over a DE is to still have the challenge/technique of a straight razor.

15. Dslazar9

Dslazar9 Took the Menthol-cratic Oath

That's why you need more than one-hey this is a hobby. I think I fit into every one of Glenn's categories except for the economist-I have way to much crap to be accused of that.
    I have a Parker Shavette which is the first straight type of razor I had. I saw it as dipping my toe into the water of straight shaving without a huge investment. I did understand it was a beast and learned with my share of blood. I also reasoned, at the time, that it would give me a feel for what sharp is supposed to feel like
    if and when I made the jump to real straights. I now have about 30 vintage straight razors-it's quite habit forming. I still use the Shavette every once in a while. I'm more likely to cut myself with it than with anything else I use but it does give a very close shave. I'm just learning to hone and doubt I'll ever be that good at it-I'm grateful for Glenn (gssixgun from above posts), he does a fantastic job.

I do not regret starting with a Shavette. It does go against a lot of the advice around here, but it worked for me.

16. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Ive gone from straight to DE's, mainly due to time i still use me str8 dovo 5/8 with ebony handle i think thats the model, started with a shavette as a cost effective way of seeing if i could actually use one, the shave was ok, but much better with a propper straight i paid £10 to have it honed, im contemplating getting a cheap str8 and a nice hone to practice with.
    (i said due to time im with DE's as i do shift work its easyer to shave after 12hr night shift with a DE)
    i also got a cheap dovo strop on ebay in good con b4 i got the dovo str8 ive only put a couple of small nics in it its still very good and i seem to strop very good now, not as quick i id like but maybe with more practise.

17. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

I started with a Muhle r106 the more I read on the forums the more interest I got in straights. about that time I ran into a Feather RX non-folding at a good price (with blades) so I tried and liked the control. I probably shaved 50/50 DE & RX.. Then I got a Feather AC/SS non folding and love it. Now I'm shaving probably 90/10 with the AC. I have a dz or so 'real' straights which I have been cleaning up and honing I'm currently trying to decide to buy more equip or cut and run and sell off the straights and stones.

18. mantastic

mantastic New Member

So you don't have any problems with the feather system? is it as harsh as people make it out to be? how much difference do the blades make? sorry for all the questions...ha

19. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

I don't have much problems with a harsh shave from any razor, I guess being old with leathery skin might help. I could live with either blade after the first couple of shaves they seem to settle down. I don't bother keeping track of number of shaves per blade but I think I could get at least 8 nice shaves from either. My standard shave with the AC/SS is first pass slightly from center down and out working around my goatee to shirt line, second pass with less and very wet lather is S to N from neckline up. Good rinse and if needed a little touch up around goatee. Between DE's, Straights and the AC/SS if I could only keep one setup it w/b the AC/SS.

20. I have to confess that at the moment I'm the "Shaver"! Don't know how long that will last. The Shaver lives with a high amount of razor burn and blood loss!

I also entered the world of SR via the Shavette. The Shavette is actually much harder to use in terms of not slicing your face off. I've been debating buying a feather, looking for a closer SR shave. However, there is another aspect of shaving not included in the above list:

The Cave Shaver: This is the shaver who uses shaving to take his mind of a stressfull day and finds shaving with a SR, stropping and honing extremely therapeutic. He'll often hone, strop and shave and finds it relaxes him and allows him to focus on something that isn't work.

I've never had a hobby. They involve a lot of time with little return. Out of all the shaving methods SR is the only hobby I'll probably take up. Not because it is a hobby, but the processes involved in developing the hobby allow me to fully think about something else for a period of time which really helps me switch off from work. I've looked for something like this for a long time and not found it until now. I think everyone in high stress jobs needs something like this.

gssixgun likes this.