Tutorial How to make your own Pre-shave oil

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Sara-s, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I picked up the liquid lanolin at my local natural food store...it is quite thick..which is why I only used 1/2 tsp. when all the other oils were 1 tsp. Makes for a nice pre-shave oil mix.

2. Rusty blade

Hi Sara, I just checked the bottle and it is 100% liquid lanolin by "Now Solutions" 4 fl. oz bottle. www.nowfoods.com/nowsolutions
    All the oils in my recipe are the Now Solution brand...except the olive oil and grapeseed oil...found those in the kitchen ;).

3. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

OK, thanks for the info. I will have to look for that.

4. NewellVW

NewellVW Well-Known Member

@Sara-s still using my lavender scented PSO and the only problem I'm having with it is the wife is using too so next batch I have to mix up a bigger amount! We both love it and it is all she uses, no shave cream or anything and she said a razor has never glided over her skin so smooth! :happy088: Love this stuff!!!
    With summer pretty much here I was thinking about mixing up a small batch of menthol or something cooling. Where do you guys get the menthol crystals from and how much do you use? Any other good summery ideas would be appreciated!

Sara-s likes this.
  5. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

It's nice to know that you and your wife are enjoying it so much. As for menthol crystals, I got some on eBay, a while ago. What I did was to grind some up (with a mortar & pestle) and mix them with a carrier oil, by heating at a low temperature. I used 10% menthol by weight. If you do it this way, make sure to wear a mask & safety goggles while working.

Once it's mixed, I keep it in a glass jar and use it sparingly. For 4 ounces of PSO, I would add just half a teaspoon (2 ml) to start. You can always add more, if you want it cooler, but I recommend starting out conservatively,

Of course, if you want to keep it simpler, you can buy some M-Bomb, from the TSD store and just add a few drops of that.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
    NewellVW likes this.
  6. Rusty blade

Can you post your recipe again? Sounds like its a winner...

7. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Just click on page 1 of this thread. It's right there.

8. Rusty blade

Thanks. I must pick up some castor oil and add it to my recipe.

NewellVW and Sara-s like this.
  9. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Castor oil is easy to get, fortunately.

10. NewellVW

NewellVW Well-Known Member

Just start with a small batch and try adjusting the ratios until you find the thickness you like. Less castor oil = thinner mix. I use the recipe pretty much as is and like the consistency. The only change I made was to add 1 teaspoon of liquid vitamin E! Figured to couldn't hurt! My wife has commented a couple of times at how nice my complextion is now.

11. rotlicht

rotlicht New Member

Hello,

i was interested what ingredients the bigger brands use...maybe this will help a bit.

Jack Black:
    (Aqua), Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Macadamia Ternifolia Seed Oil, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Glycerin, Calluna Vulgaris (Heather) Extract, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil, Menthol, Eucalyptus Globulus (Eucalyptus) Leaf Oil, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin, Methylparaben, Benzoic Acid, Dimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Lecithin, Dimethiconol, Propylene Glycol, Cyclomethicone

Floid:
    Olive oil
    PEG-7 esters, oryza sativa (rice) bran oil, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf oil, tocopheryl acetate, copaifera officinalis (balsam copaiba) resin, santalum austrocaledonicum wood oil, eucalyptus globulus leaf oil, menthol, eugenia caryophyllus (clove) bud oil,melaleuca alternifolia (tea tree) leaf oil, eugenol, limonene, BHA.

American Crew Ultra Gliding Shave Oil:
    Meadowfoam Seed Oil, Rice Bran Oil, Avocado Oil, Babassu Oil, Balsam Copaiba, Clove Oil, Sandalwood Oil, Rosemary Oil, Bay Oil, Eucalyptus Globulus Oil, Peppermint Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Extract, Isopropyl Myristate, Isopropyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate and Menthol.

Total Shaving Solution:
    • Sesame seed oil – a source of vitamin E (an anti-oxidant which has been found to lower cholesterol levels) Sesame oil also contains magnesium, copper, calcium, iron, zinc and vitamin B6.
    • Soya bean oil - a commonly used vegetable carrier oil which is used as a fixative to extend the duration of the action of essential oils.
    • Grapeseed oil – a vegetable oil pressed from the seeds of various varieties of Vitis vinifera grape, a by-product of winemaking. It is a preferred cosmetic ingredient for damaged and stressed tissues, possessing regenerative qualities for the skin, helping it retain the normal structure of epithelium cells and nerve cells, supporting the cell membranes. It is especially effective for repair of the skin on your face.
    • Menthol – an organic compound made from peppermint or other mint oils. It is a waxy, crystalline substance, clear or white in colour, which is solid at room temperature and melts slightly above. Menthol has the ability to chemically trigger cold-sensitive receptors in the skin and is responsible for the well-known cooling sensation that it provokes when inhaled, eaten, or applied to the skin. Menthol is used in a very wide range of products, so that demand far outstrips the natural supply. Therefore many products use synthetic menthol – but in Total Shaving Solution we only use 100% natural menthol.
    • Clove bud oil – best known for its natural antiseptic and anaesthetic properties, clove oil also has antimicrobial and antifungal uses. It can be used for acne, warts, scars and parasites.
    • Lavender oil – one of the most versatile essential oils, lavender is a natural antiseptic, pain reliever and provides relief for minor burns and insect bites and stings, as well as in the treatment of sunburn and sunstroke and eczema. The scent also has a calming effect and can help to relieve pain from tension headaches, coughs and respiratory infections.

Another recipe i found is:
    3 parts of jojoba oil
    1 part of avocado oil
    1 part of grapeseed oil
    1 part of almond oil
    liquid vitamin e
    lavander eo

Rusty blade and NewellVW like this.
  12. Rusty blade

I am looking for ideas on blends of EO to add to a standard pre-shave oil mix...something kind of manly. Any ideas?

13. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Try a blend of cedarwood & blue spruce EO's.

14. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Good idea!

15. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I make that scent for my husband. For 4 ounces of PSO, I use one teaspoon of each EO. I love the way it smells on him. (I also use this blend to make a spray cologne for him.)

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
    Douglas Carey likes this.
  16. wmbjr

wmbjr Duck, duck, cooked goose!

Made some last night using a 3/2 olive oil/castor oil mix. Mixed in some lavender EO. Definitely will be keeping bottles of this available. Amazing how little irritation there is when using the PSO before a shave. I plan to get some grape seed oil to use instead of the olive oil or at least in addition to the olive oil. I see many combinations coming in my future. Now to find some decent priced samples of EO so I can have more scents than just lavender.

If anyone finds or has found any decent sample packs of EO, please post on here. My local stores all seem fairly expensive and so far most of the online options have fairly high shipping charges or only big sized bottles that I don't want to get until I am certain of the scent.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
    Cheechako likes this.
  17. TheFiveO

TheFiveO Well-Known Member

Hey everyone just thought I'd throw my recipe out there for ya.

I used 3 Tbs of jojoba, 1 Tbs of Castor and then a blend of about 10 drops of frankincense EO, 10 drops lemongrass and 5 peppermint. (My niece brought her doTerra sales pack!). Awesome viscosity, light wonderful smelling pre shave oil!

Spud, Hodge, mylesc1234 and 1 other person like this.
  18. Ed Hobo

Ed Hobo New Member

Thanks for this recipe! I whiped some up this evening and it is absolutely amazing. I substituted Tea Tree for the Peppermint, but the carrier oils are rock solid. By far the best wet shave I have had since I started down the path.

Thanks again,

Ed Hobo

19. mylesc1234

mylesc1234 Active Member

I'm going to test this out.
    Would coconut oil work? I have a lot of that.

20. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Give it a try, then let us know how it works.