what is your pre-shave routine?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by SHAVEWIZARD420, Jun 24, 2015.

1. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I have been using Musco Real Glyce for the last 2 shaves and im not sure if it makes a difference or not. I have been leaving a little bit of the soap on my face then building a lather on it. is this the right way to use pre shave soap? some people say wash it completely off and others say leave some on for added slickness so I am a little confused lol

2. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:happy097:

SHAVEWIZARD420 likes this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

The "right" way is the way YOU like it.
    It's your shavem. Enjoy it your way.

4. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

lol I have told many people on here the same thing. I think its about time I follow suit.

wristwatchb likes this.
  5. hippiebrian

hippiebrian Well-Known Member

I recently got in Proraso green pre-shave cream. I love it, and whether or not it does any good (I'm new and am happy with my shaves) I'm going to keep using it. That menthol hit in the morning is as refreshing as an espresso!

6. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Pre-shave soap, lather, shave, rinse, alum, after shave balm then AS, wash my equipment - coffee.

7. Epimetheus

Epimetheus Well-Known Member

OK, you convinced me. I will try some pre- and post- shave products. A little more "me" time fussing with them could be a good thing.

8. Joef

Joef Well-Known Member

I saw a few times corn huskers lotion here...I've been using that for my hands for years. Had no idea it would be good for a pre shave. Just apply and let dry before you lather?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  9. Epimetheus

Ah - er - what?
    Nevermind. I don't want to know.:eek:

10. Joef

Joef Well-Known Member

Bahahahaha, dang auto miscorrect. Fixed.

11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I've tried it and didn't care for it as a pre-shave, but that's me. My recommendation, since it is much thicker than an oil, is to put it on as thin as you can, then lather right over the top of it. Don't let it dry.

All that said, experiment and find out how you like to use it.

SHAVEWIZARD420 and Joef like this.
  12. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

+1 my exact routine.

SHAVEWIZARD420, Jayaruh and Joef like this.
  13. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Same

14. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Hot shower.

15. Porter

Porter Well-Known Member

Usually have a shower beforehand (I'm a night-time shaver). Either way, I put some water on top of my soap and a couple minutes later wash my face and then put the water from the puck on my face; soaps like Stirling make for a nice and slick pre-shave. Then, lather up and go.
    Sometimes I use Proraso green pre-shave, but not always.

16. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Usually I start with a good cup of coffee, followed by some stretching and scratching.
    Then I tell a few jokes, maybe a funny story, and finish up with a musical number (usually something like "The Man Song" by Sean Morey).

Troy M, SHAVEWIZARD420, ilts and 2 others like this.
  17. Epimetheus

Waiting for the Youtube video.

Preshave routine - I gotta try some of those skin oils or creams.
    Until then, the routine is wipe the face with hot water, soak the brush, and whomp up some lather.

SHAVEWIZARD420 and John Beeman like this.
  18. Greg Becker

Greg Becker Member

Wet face with hot water. Wash with Lush "Kalamazoo" face wash (Best on the planet, IMHO). 10 sec hot water washcloth (Walmart white cotton 12"x12") x 2. My homemade shave oil before every pass (heavier on the first pass). Hot water rinse. Gently wipe excess oil with warm wet washcloth. Alum stick. Witch Hazel. Nivea CoQ10 face balm.

I'm still in the noob experimentation stage with razors and blades. Have not yet tried a lather shave, preferring time and simplicity on work days. However, there IS a weekend coming up...

Recipe for the shave oil here: http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/cache-of-concoctions-coc.1077/page-9#post-915669

19. Herk

Herk Member

Shower / Wash face with Noxema / Couple drops of Shave Secret / Cold Water Rinse / Cold Water Shave

20. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Pretty simple for me-body wash in the shower, then a redo of warm/hot water right before the shave.