Is this hone wear or 'normal'

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Darkbulb, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

As I have a rather limited SR-vocabulary I thought I'd use some photos to illustrate my question.

I often see razors that have this look:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

...and maybe it's just me - but I think I see that the blade is less wide at the front (towards the 'toe'?) than at the middle of the blade and back of it.

The example above was described as in excellent condition by a straight razor seller on eBay so that's why I'm questioning myself a bit.

Maybe it's;
    a) just playing tricks on me and my eyes,
    b) normal design and intended, and/or
    c) result of even honing

Any thoughts would be welcome as it has in the past given me pause as far as buying one that looked like that goes and maybe it shouldn't.

Thanks y'all.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  2. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

The blade sure looks pretty. Where are Glen and/or HollyRolla when you need them . :happy097: They will have the correct answer I'm sure!

3. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Yeah I'm thinking it might just be an optical illusion in that the front of the blade is further away from the camera maybe...or something i just wrong with my eyes :)

Prolly drinking scotch somewhere as a lot of people are off today :D

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  4. Jamie Mahoney

Jamie Mahoney Well-Known Member

Measure the blade then you will have your answer.

Darkbulb likes this.
  5. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Maybe I wasn't clear in my post but these are blades that I see online and are not in my possession and the look of them makes me not buy them.
    If I had it yes, then I could of course measure it.

6. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    That picture is very hard to read correctly :(

It does look to have a bit of Toe wear on the bevel and the spine, the heel also looks a little off

But I also agree that the pic very well could be playing optical tricks on my eyes, so basically that is a razor to ask the seller for a few different angles on the pics and if the size is equal from heel to toe

Darkbulb likes this.
  7. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

That blade looks pristine from what I can see. I know sometimes they can look funny but turn out to be fine. Depending on price, I wouldn't have a problem with buying that razor.

Darkbulb likes this.
  8. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Unfortunately it's NBJ otherwise I think this was a steal at 30-something dollars if the blade was indeed good :)

9. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

Indeed, 30 is a steal, even if there was a touch of uneven wear.

Darkbulb likes this.
  10. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Oh well, maybe next month :)

11. Jamie Mahoney

Jamie Mahoney Well-Known Member

Having taken another closer look I would say there's definitely hone wear towards the toe, place a small ruler across the entire edge of the image covering most of the blade on screen it will show up a lot better it's quite substantial wear.

Darkbulb likes this.
  12. txskimo

txskimo Well-Known Member

If you were to gift a friend 30 bucks and that friend just so happened to buy that razor as a gift for you is that cheating lol

Drygulch likes this.
  13. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I think it's one of those scenarios where you have to decide for yourself if it's right or wrong and if you're happy with that decision;)

Drygulch likes this.
  14. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Looks to me like it has a lot of life left, I would buy it if the option arrived but that's just me

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  15. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I think it sold for $35-40 so someone might have gotten a nice Friodur-deal :)