To replate or not to replate , that is the question ?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by NapalmCola, Jul 3, 2015.

1. NapalmCola

NapalmCola Well-Known Member

It turns out you can see the handle in the box. This just gives me a reason to have it replated. Also any ideas as to who does replacement felt for the box ? I kind of threw the whole leaving it vintage idea out the window when I removed the plating by accident.

2. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Honestly there are many modern razors your can now buy that come with a variety of heavier handles, mostly made of brass. Even with the shave heads they aren't that expensive. So you could easily get a heavier handle and still keep your Gillette Ball End handle in stock condition. This would give you multiple handles not only of a variety of weights, but lengths, diameters and different knurling. Honestly that's the way I would go, even if it ment waiting a bit to get the money. :)

NapalmCola likes this.
  3. NapalmCola

Agreed and decided. I will keep it as stock as possible and pick up a heavier one in the future.

Herm2502 likes this.
  4. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I think your making the correct decision. Maggard razors has a large selection of DE razors to choose from.:)

Tdmsu and NapalmCola like this.
  5. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

And the wheels on the bus for 'round and 'round....

No offense taken

NapalmCola likes this.
  6. NapalmCola

They have a purple (heather ) colored handled one I plan on ordering for my wife along with some soaps and creme in scents she will like to try and convert her to our ways.

7. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

Who did your replate?

8. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Sam Duran did mine, but for reasons unknown, he is no longer providing those services. However, you can see some of his work here:
    http://www.kronakruiserrazors.com/

Weeper Warrior likes this.
  9. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Those four piece German travel razors are awesome little shavers. I have an Apollo branded one. They were all made by Merkur though.

Razor Emporium will re-cover the case, or you can do it yourself. Buy a swatch of velvet in the appropriate size, use the original for a template and attach it with 3M spray adhesive.

Edit: the plating was already gone before you polished it. Gold doesn't tarnish or oxidize.

GDCarrington and NapalmCola like this.
  10. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

Yeah...I had him do couple replates for me. Really liked his work and price. I wish he would get back into it.

11. NapalmCola

Thank you yet again for sharing your knowledge and great advice.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  12. sonnyrsg

sonnyrsg Member

+1

13. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I'm enjoying my new to me Fatboy, it's been tuneup by RE and it works like it should. It shows its age (1961) 53, boy it still looks great! My goal is to send it in for a re-plate, now it'll be away for 6-8 weeks? Right now I'm really enjoying the shaves. So I'm in no hurry. But I will do it this year.

NapalmCola likes this.
  14. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Once it's replated it will really be YOURS. That's the fun of it.

NapalmCola and RaZorBurn123 like this.