Good brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Chaddy187, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Chaddy187

Chaddy187 Active Member

I'm looking for a good brush ive got a omega s. I don't know if its synthetic or what. I want to buy a Second brush but don't want to spend 100's of Dollars right yet. So what should I look at badger or what? I like the s but I hate the boar that came with the VDH kit it's hard as a rock. I looked at whipped dog but seen some not so good reviews and it's too complicated to order. So what do yall suggest? Thanks in Advance for the help on my noob question.

GDCarrington likes this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I'm surprised about negative reviews about Whipped Dog. I've never heard anything bad.

That said, it doesn't matter what you're buying - brushes or cars, someone will always have something negative to say, and there is always the chance of getting a lemon.

3. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

This brush contains an black synthetic fibre from Mühle (one of the leading brush makers) and is the best value on the market for any brush. $18 for a brush with a Mühle knot beats out everything.

http://www.napasoap.com/napa-soap-shaving-brush-black-fiber/

You will see some on the SoS threads.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
    Boojum1 likes this.
  4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Franks Shaving on ebay. I have 5 and love them all. The real deal but people shy away because they are made in China. Trust me that they are a great value. I have $250 brush's that are not any better and my Franks cost between $40 - 70. If you like soft, buy the Finest badger or silvertip, if you like it a little more stiff get the pure badger. My two favorites are the 30mm silvertip and the 26 mm finest badger

Douglas Carey likes this.
  5. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

Sometimes brushes need some use for a while to break-in. I didn't like my VDH when I first bought it. But through continual use it began to soften up and now get a good scrub and fine lather with it. YMMV

6. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I have 2 Whipped Dog brushes and couldn't be happier. And Larry's customer service is second-to-none.

7. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

I would have to suggest Whipped Dog also. Larry is very easy to work with. I have two of his brushes, a Silvertip and a High Mountain.

8. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

I'm in the same boat as everyone else. Whipped Dog is a good company to deal with. I have a number of his knots, handles, and even a razor he was selling. ou can't go wrong with Larry at Whipped Dog. IMO.

9. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I have a Whipped Dog badger knot. For the price, it can't be beat.

Semogue makes the softest boar brushes. I particularly like the 830 and 620 models.

As for boar brushes, they need to be soaked in hot water for 5 minutes before use. Have you been doing that?

Edit: my Whipped Dog review.

Got the 22/65 High Mountain in today. Set it with the loctite epoxy (also purchased from Whipped Dog).

Initial impressions were not terribly favorable. The knot had lumpy patches around the outer rim of bristle tips, caused by the final light trim after the knot is shaped. The apex of the bulb is slightly off center, adding to the lumpy appearance. If the knot wasn't so deeply set, these things probably wouldn't be so noticeable. (And probably wouldn't be noticeable to anyone who wasn't looking for flaws).

I would consider this knot to be a factory second or a reject from one of the high end manufactuers.

Cosmetic flaws aside, this knot is quite impressive. Dense, well packed, good backbone, in short, everything I would expect from a premium two-band knot.

I'll see how it looks in a few days, after it's bloomed fully, but bottom line, this is not a purchase I regret.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  10. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

I have to agree with whipped dog...not only are the brushes/cost great, you are dealing with a online seller who runs his bussiness as a local mom and pop in the 50's....not easy to do, and something that just doesnt happend today anymore...if I need a brush or if im buying someone a brush i will ALWAYS buy from larry.

11. shmuel

shmuel Member

It really depends on your budget, whether you face or bowl lather, and what feel you like. You may hate a boar that you have, but really like a Semogue boar. I have the 830 and now that it is well broken in is terrific for less than $25. I bought my son a Frank silvertip for around $60-70 and he loves it. I also have a Kent Bk8 which is a $200 brush and is wonderful.
    Give us some more specific parameters and we can narrow the selection process for you.

12. Chaddy187

Chaddy187 Active Member

I like the omega s-brush because its soft. I'm using a bowl to lather right now but today was only my 4th shave since I started last Sunday nite. The bowl could change to face lathering who knows.

gwsmallwood likes this.
  13. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I recently bought a Semogue 1305 and a 1438...both are inexpensive (boar bristle) approx $20 CDN and both perform very well...no complaints. For the price you cant go wrong.

14. Chaddy187

Chaddy187 Active Member

When can I find a plisson synthetic brush?

15. shmuel

shmuel Member

Agree on Semogue. Just be aware of the break in time to allow the bristles to split and soften You should allow 48 hours between uses to allow the brush to dry. Again, your budget is a factor. If you were looking to spend upwards of $40, I would opt for badger. Glad you like the Omega S. I have the Plisson L'Occtane and love it.

16. shmuel

shmuel Member

I think you need to look at the Plisson website. Last I heard, the L'Occtane stores and their website were out of them.

17. saturnine

saturnine Member

Hello, I am looking at new brushes myself. I currently have a Shea Moisture brush & while I have no real complaints about it (aside from cheap looks), I would like to see what else is out there. Are the Whipped Dog brushes already glued when you buy the knot & handle together? In the $30-$40 range, is Whipped Dog about the best value/performance?

I need to figure out what size my current brush is & decide if I want deep or normal loft.

gwsmallwood likes this.
  18. Ronin

Ronin New Member

You should check out Fine Angel Hair brush. It's suppose to be very similar to plisson for under & 25.

19. Chaddy187

Chaddy187 Active Member

Can't get fine there sold out everywhere ive looked

Ronin likes this.
  20. Ronin

Ronin New Member

Check out Amazon, I just saw one available, also another good brush Satin Tip Purest, for under $20