Alum vs Witch Hazel

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Brian_Powers, Jun 21, 2015.

1. wmbjr

wmbjr Duck, duck, cooked goose!

How many drops of the oils do you put in per ounce of WH? Like the idea of making my own and doing my own fragrance but dont know how much to start with on the oil.

I have alum that I have used a couple times, but am definitely interested in trying the WH.

SHAVEWIZARD420 likes this.
  2. Aussie Sly Guy

Aussie Sly Guy New Member

Cold water rinse, ice cube rub, dry off (if I have time I'll just let it air dry), apply witch hazel, let it dry then apply after shave.

3. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I would start small like 3-5 drops. shake it up and check the scent and add more if needed. same with the glycerin because if you add too much it makes it sticky.

wmbjr likes this.
  4. ugadawg

ugadawg Well-Known Member

Forgive me for my ignorance. What is the reason for adding glycerin to witch hazel?

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup. You can always add more.
    Some do. Some don't. I don't. Try it and see if YOU like it.

6. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

This would make a great poll! WH for me. No alum on my face, but I do use an alum stick as deodorant.

hippiebrian and SHAVEWIZARD420 like this.
  7. SHAVEWIZARD420

wmbjr likes this.
  8. ugadawg

ugadawg Well-Known Member

Thanks. That was my guess, but I thought I would ask to be sure.

9. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Alum is a disinfectant (anti-bacteria, aids in clotting), whereas Witch Hazel is an astringent (pore closure). Two different products with different effects on the skin.
    So, for weepers, alum is your choice.
    For general skin toning and pore closing, reach for the witch hazel.

10. SHAVEWIZARD420

glycerin is some good stuff to have around. people add it to their lather to make it slicker or add it to other products. a lot of stores have it locally and it lasts a long time.

11. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I add it to my e-liquid for my electronic cigarettes. It lowers the nicotine content per ml. and tones the flavor down. :)
    Never used it for shaving though.

12. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I've never used WH, don't even have it in the house. My routine is cold water splash, alum, let it sit 30 seconds to a minute, cold water rinse, then either Nivea Original balm, which has a nice scent, or straight to an AS, usually The Veg. Or, I will use Nivea on my face and use The Veg as a body splash. I just don't like putting them both on my face since the scents interact. The Nivea fades away pretty quickly, the Veg hangs around which I like.

As for why I use alum instead of WH - as some have pointed out the alum is best for closing weepers, nicks etc., and with my tendency to try new blades, razors (some barely qualify as razors) and play with the Artist Club I figure the more cut stopping power I can get the better. I keep a styptic pencil at the ready as well, especially when using the CJB or a new razor or blade I have no clue about.

ilts likes this.
  13. hippiebrian

hippiebrian Well-Known Member

I do both. I'm new, but I like the way the alum makes my face feel after a shave and, right after I rub it on my face and while I'm letting it sit for a while, I wet the pits and put some on. I'm trying to get away from all those commercial products we've been duped into...

Metro and Brian_Powers like this.
  14. mrsell63

mrsell63 New Member

I haven't used my alum block in several years opting for the nice zing I get from Thayers Peach flavored Witch Hazel. I also use their Antiseptic version of Witch Hazel. Nice stuff.

15. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

:signs011: I use both.

16. TCBENNETT55

TCBENNETT55 Active Member

Witch Hazel for me, followed by AS

17. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

18. Paladin38201

Paladin38201 Member

Witch Hazel

19. Zombiefilmfan

Zombiefilmfan Active Member

So far:
    Warm rinse
    cold rinse
    wet alum block/ then apply and let sit for 30 seconds
    cold rinse
    dry off
    Aftershave then apply Balm

I will be adding a Thayers cucumber WH with some menthol crystals after the last cold rinse in the coming weeks.

Rufus T. likes this.
  20. Jay S

Jay S Active Member

I started out using alum after every shave. I shave before my shower so the alum sits on my face while I clean my gear and sink and then gets rinsed off in the shower. Recently I've tried Dickinson's WH and like it. By the end of my morning routine, my skin is less dry but I really don't like the smell. I'm looking for a small squeeze bottle to mix 10-15 ml of WH and a few drops of Tea Tree or other essential oils.

The WH doesn't give me that biting sting I grew to expect with alum, but tones the skin nicely. However, if I get a bit careless or overly aggressive and shred my face a bit, the WH doesn't do quite as good a job at stopping the weepers. For those days, I grab the alum instead.

Next time I'll try a bottle of generic WH from the grocery store and see if I get the same results for much less $$$.

Enjoy the ride,
    Jay

Omelmad likes this.