The Haul: July 2015

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by RaZorBurn123, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

The Tele Razor took regular DE blades and had a handle that had to be an inch in diameter. The handle had a rubber coating on it over the metal, with the head attached via two prongs or fork. It looks as though the razor must have sat in some sort of a base to heat it. It smelled like smoke. I might go back and, if I do, I'll take pictures.

The Shake Sharp was mint and was in the case with the instructions. It seemed to be fully functional. They wanted $30 and I really liked it. I might go for it.

I'm going back this coming weekend as they have a few more that they can dig out to show me.

Jayaruh, PLANofMAN and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  2. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

3. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

PLANofMAN and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  4. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

5. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

bnccna2, Recklesstr and Omelmad like this.
  6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    That's a decent price. If you don't like it, there's several people here who would buy it off you...once "no buy july" is over.

You've probably already gotten a PM from @Darkbulb about the Tele. :D

Dzia Dzia and Jim99 like this.
  7. grump

grump Well-Known Member

An English (Oak tanned) Shell horse hide strop 3791/2 made by Gibford-Weiffenbach Co., Adrian, Mich.
    The strop is in very good condition. I wiped with a damp cloth, gave it a slight rub with a pumice stone, some hand rubbing and then a rubbing with a BBW slurry stone, for additional smoothing. The BBW with natural oil from your hand brings out a nice finish. After that, just good hand rubbing before stropping is all that is required.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  8. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

For...the extra grease?

grump likes this.
  9. grump

grump Well-Known Member

;)
    Ah, probably should have followed that up with slurry stone, for additional smoothing. The BBW with natural oil from your hand brings out a nice finish. After that, just good hand rubbing before stropping is all that is required.

Edited original.

Misphit likes this.
  10. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I lived in Adrian, MI for a number of years. It was once quite a hub of manufacturing. The Lion automobile was made there, so were steamer trunks, among other things.
    There's even an article about my barber retiring.
    http://m.lenconnect.com/article/20140713/News/140719665

Misphit and grump like this.
  11. grump

grump Well-Known Member

Very cool article. I like this part -

"Some of his prized possessions include an antique leather strop from the Gibford Manufacturing Co. of Adrian, a Gillette glass display case from Wilson’s Barber Shop containing a collection of antique razors"

12. Chuck F

Chuck F Cheesy! Big Curd style

Amazing haul, all arrived today:

- Ray Bukaty horsehair brush, cottonwood and ebony handle, won it in a contest.
    - Ray Bukaty lather bowl (he threw it in with the brush, had no idea it was coming)
    - Jeeves of Hudson Street Cherry Blossom shaving soap (also thrown in with the Bukaty brush)
    - Stone Fox Spiced Citrus balm (also thrown in with the Bukaty brush)
    - Three 24mm Plisson-like fiber knots from a group buy. (In the photo, one of them is placed, but not set yet, in the custom handle I got recently)
    - Three tubs of a new soap formula for testing from an established artisan. (not pictured)
    - Two aftershave splash samples from another artisan. (not pictured)

[​IMG]

Maybe I should have signed up for NBJ, with all this stuff I may not feel the need to buy anything the rest of the month. (Famous last words...)

13. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Wow, quite the haul. Nice.

14. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

You have been busy

15. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Still hold out.
    NOBUYJULY.jpg
    Had to borrow @RaZorBurn123 picture, this is my first No Buy July.

Rufus T. and Jayaruh like this.
  16. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    My knots arrived today. Woo-hoo!
    knots2as.jpg

theFAT98, Rufus T., Misphit and 6 others like this.
  17. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

An old book (1995) I bought last month arrive today. The prices in it are not current but their are good pictures in it for reference.
    [​IMG]

Darwins were $125.00 twenty years ago

[​IMG]

18. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Great looking book.

mrchick likes this.
  19. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Are they soft? How much did they cost?

20. Brian_Powers

Brian_Powers Well-Known Member

I picked these up at Target today for just shy of $5 each. I'll be giving them a try in the morning. Target has really stepped up their wet shaving game and I was pleased with that.

[​IMG]

hippiebrian, Hodge, Jayaruh and 5 others like this.