What Straight Razor Did You Use Today?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by lindyhopper66, Nov 30, 2013.

1. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Hess 99 - still trying to get it to perfect. I keep honing at it and it keeps getting better but not perfect. Today was a lot better after going all the way back to Naniwa 1K, 5K, 8K snow white, Naniwa 12K. I skipped the Strata so I will give it a few today along with a little cr ox & a lot of stropping.
    Le Pere Lucien, DR Harris lavender crème
    Floid Black label

Shave today - I can live with it but I also know it can be better & it will 2015-02-19 14.17.21.jpg

2. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

My skin has become sensitive to most things I put on it. I've been recovering from a skin infection. I found Lucido to be soothing. Water is the first ingredient but it does contain alcohol. The good skin ingredients are glycerin and lactic acid. There are no fragrances, but a bit of menthol.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
    vwp528 and Cap7597 like this.
  3. cubancigar2000

thank you for the review

vwp528 likes this.
  4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Part of the enjoyment (and challenge) of 'honing your own' is trying out a number of combinations on a variety of razors to see how they 'respond.' I have found that a standard honing regimen may do just fine for the majority of SRs, but there are some razors that simply require additional attention.

vwp528, Cap7597, entropy1049 and 2 others like this.
  5. cubancigar2000

Yes Kevin, this is the third razor that I had to re hone several times to get it to pop but when they do it is very rewarding. I have two other Hess razors one of which is stainless and they both honed easily

6. jamespasini69

jamespasini69 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Strop 40x25x handmade strop
    AOS pre oil
    24mm WD HMB brush
    AOS sandlewood cream
    Wade &Butcher Bow
    Single pass wtg
    Cold water rinse pat dry
    AOS alum block
    AOS sandlewood balm and
    TSD sandlewood splash.

Dfs today. After my 30 day focus, I'm hooked on SR shaving. I look forward to my daily shaving experience.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  7. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Day 2, Extremely Old Sheffield Wedges That Shave Really, Really Well. An old W&B wedge. No frills, but a good shaver.

Lucido is a delight, eh lindyhopper? Have you tried the Mandom?

[​IMG]

Good looking ol' Iberia as well. I have my eye on a nice one at this moment...

8. jamespasini69

Nice w&B wedge. I can hardly wait for mine to come home from its customization trip to gssixgun.

vwp528, HolyRollah and entropy1049 like this.
  9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Loved my old W&B 7/8 wedge. Took an edge that was sharper than 'all get out'—one of my seller's remorse models...:sad023:
    [​IMG]

10. lindyhopper66

Nice. I've read about Mandom, but haven't seen a vendor. I got the Lucido from a fellow shave forum person. I read a mix of reviews on the Mandom. What do you think about it? The Lucido has no scent. Does the Mandom?

vwp528, entropy1049 and jamespasini69 like this.
  11. entropy1049

Oh yes, it has a strong, long lasting scent. Not at all like the Lucido. I definitely have to be in a mood for the Mandom, but when I am, it scratches the itch. I got my last bit of Mandom and Lucido from Amazon, oddly enough...both around ten bucks. Cheap at twice the price.

Charles Bronson wears Mandom like a Champion.

From some of the Amazon reviews for Mandom where it's rated 4.8 of 5 stars:

"..A wonderful blend of aromas bringing together old musky lake cattails, Hai Karate, and a cheap Louisiana call girl..."

"...Bordering on too manly. If you don't smoke a pipe but would like to, this is the aftershave to get you there..."

"...makes you want to hit the Disco immediately..."

"...Thank you MANDOM for making me smell like a 65 year old Japanese truck driver / weight lifter who just ate 2 bowls of ramen and rescued 8 children from a rising river. My wife and dog says I am too young to wear this (40) but I say..deal with it. I am now a man!"

"...Like the ghost of Charles Bronson roundhouse-kicking He-Man into and through your favorite Rambo movie. Citrus, sage, gasoline, and Death Wish style vengeance. Get some of this before its gone. You will feast upon it and despair, ye mortal man..."

"..citrusy scent with a punch of jet fuel..."

I did not make those up:

http://www.amazon.com/GATSBY-Mandom...iewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  12. lindyhopper66

Great reviews.

vwp528 and entropy1049 like this.
  13. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Hans & MdC…a great combo!
    [​IMG]

14. Cap7597

Cap7597 Well-Known Member

7/29/15 H. Boker King Cutter
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438177177.331512.jpg

15. jamespasini69

[​IMG]
    40x20 strop
    Aos cream
    Goldduck SR
    WD HMB brush
    Single pass
    Cold rinse
    Aos sandlewood balm
    Clubman original

Not the best shave. Terrible in fact. I need to hone the SR or send it out to be honed. It barely cut anything. I had to clean up with my oc Gillette old style.

16. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

July 29th, SOTD
    Two days’ growth
    Prep: Hot shower
    Razor: Cattaraugus Cutlery Co Green Lizard Model B54GL
    Strop: Drygulch Chromexcel/ Linen (20 laps Linen/ 20 laps Leather pre and 10/10 post)
    Soap: The Shave Den Lime with M-Bomb added
    Brush: Spalted Maple Brush with Badger Knot
    Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Alum Block, Thayer’s Witch Hazel
    Aftershave: The Shave Den Aftershave Milk, Iced Lime with M-Bomb
    IMG_1650.JPG

17. cubancigar2000

Revisor 8/8 Indian Buffalo scales
    Caties Bubbles Jar Din De or - one of my fav Caties
    Floid Blue
    very nice shave
    1-004.JPG

18. entropy1049

A pretty Goldedge like that needs to be shave ready +++. If you'd like, and are going to have to ship it out for honing anyway, send me a PM and I'll hone her up for you quick and gratis.

19. jamespasini69

Kewl. I just honed her. I'll find out tomorrow morning if it's Sharp enough.

vwp528 likes this.
  20. entropy1049

Good deal. Can't have SR shavers falling back to DE's unless it's voluntary...:)