Running out of Astra SPs

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Omelmad, Jul 27, 2015.

1. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

Im starting to notice a bit of a pattern with a lot of us...Im thinking of starting a new thread to track this better if I could figure out a way to track it....but, as much as YMMV with a lot of blades its seems to me that a lot of kind of fall into a couple of groups....1 is what I would call the feather/astra group...2) the derby/7'o clock group...and the russian group...dont know how this all would play out but it seems like those who like 1 of those tend to fall into the other's in the "group" as well...again, not sure how "true" it is and how many would cross into multiple groups or if there is any real pattern to it...but just maybe it could be helpful for situations like this?

2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    There's a pretty broad range of blades in the "Russian" group. As the various Eastern European blade producers went out of business or were privatized following the collapse of the Soviet Union, they were acquired by the Russian branch of Gillette, operated out of the St. Petersburg plant.

In some cases this resulted in manufacturing being shifted over, and in others, equipment lines being moved. So what we have are modern blades that are not the same as the old blades, like Polsilver/Polsilver Super Iridium's, and blades that are not made in Russia, like real Super Iridium's, which are still made in limited quantities at the Wizamet plant at Lodz, Poland, and are hard to find, even in Poland.

At this point I'm just rambling and off track, so I'll stop now. :)

Edit: I fall into the Astra/Feather group, with some crossover into the "Russian" group. I still like old Gillette carbon blades better than anything else, though. I just don't like the hassle of making sure the blade is dry, checking for rust, etc. Carbons are pretty much a one and done blade for me.

3. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Hmm.. I usually have my slim at 7.

I will try that... But right now I'm sticking to my weber for a while longer. Trying to figure it out and trying some blades.

Why do you think that would help?

4. Omelmad

I tried a feather ones. First shave crazy razorburn and I was SOOOO careful hahaha.

Second shave... It was tugging!

5. Omelmad

No I haven't. Im not entirely sure what blade it is =P I will google it.

6. Omelmad

You have a very good point =) but buying 100 pack feels a bit expensive you know? =) and buying smaller quantities is just less money but more expensive than getting 100 pack.

7. Omelmad

Those are next on the list to try. The first time I used them they messed up my face real bad haha. But I was a newbie, my technique is much better now.

8. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I just ordered 100 Astra SPs...it was either those or Feathers...both excellent blades.

Omelmad likes this.
  9. Omelmad

I'm gonna try a few more blades. Try and postpone the purchase as long as I can.

That way I can "get rid" of some of my blades. I hope to find a diamond in there somewhere

10. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I've had several blades that were "grabby" (they would seem to "catch" on my whiskers, rather than cut) turning the aggressiveness of the razor down several notches smoothed things out considerably.

Ladas, for instance, when used on the 3 setting, felt rough, but when I turned it down to 2, it turned into a smooth shaver. YMMV.

Omelmad likes this.
  11. Omelmad

HMM!! There might be a chance that the trouble was revealed when I cranked the slim up to 7. Damn.. How do I know what blades are good and what blades are bad hahahaha. I can't try all blades in all my razors and also the adjustables 1-9 settings. It will take forever hahahah. I'm gonna stay on trying the blades in the standards. And maybe lather I'll try it with the slim on different settings hahaha.

Right now I wanna use my Weber. Amazing shaver.

But thank you for the tip, I haven't thought about that at all

PLANofMAN likes this.
  12. Omelmad

I was gonna shave with Gillette silver blue, but got called into work.

Slow Joe likes this.
  13. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

Just caught up with this thread. I was going to suggest Gillette Silver Blue or Gillette platinum.

Omelmad likes this.
  14. Omelmad

I'm trying them next, I hope they work

15. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

Me too. They're a good blade. I should use them more often.
    Have you found anything that is better or is as good as the astras?

16. Omelmad

YES, Personna lab blues haha. I might buy a 100 pack of those

17. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Why wouldn't Astra be in the Russian group? Isn't it a Russian blade from one of the Gillette plants?

18. Omelmad

I actually didn't know that astra sp was a russian blade haha

PLANofMAN likes this.
  19. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Yeah. It's from the St. Petersburg plant.

20. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

Personna Lab Blues are terrible. Buy more Astras.