Stirling synthetic brushes factory seconds

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by cmorris357, Jul 27, 2015.

1. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

My first shave using the Stirling; I actually dont mind the handle shape and find it rests comfortably in the palm. The lower narrow-waisted shape allows good maneuverability and the large, soft knot is quite comfy on the face.
    For the price, I've no complaints.
    [​IMG]

PLANofMAN and GDCarrington like this.
  2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

You forget one critical issue in your discussion. Many people have vintage handles they wish to refurbish. That is extremely popular in its own right with lots of sales and work for those who have the expertise, reputation and availability to do so. Most people who are really into brushes have a large number of customs and vintage restores. Take a look at the thread below.

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/dissection-of-stirling-synthetic-brush-review.46250/

Now that I have shown that you cannot easily steam the knot of of the Stirling handle, the soap makers who have knots only will be the only game in town and can make more than enough profit. In fact dollar for dollar sold their margins will be higher than the completed brushes because the knots can be sold at almost as much as a completed brush. Example, you want that knot released from the Stirling to use knot in a higher tone handle or a vintage antique you would more than likely be charged one hours worth of labor to extract the knot. So the $25 brush price plus anywhere from $25 to whatever the expert will demand will increase the cost of the knot to a minimum of $50. So if you can procure a non handled knot for $20 you are far ahead of the game. How do you think TGN and other knot sellers do a great business and how do you think the custom brush makers/restorers can have a full schedule and can be choosy with their projects?

BTW: Many people have been tracking this fiber and knot sources in China (including yours truly) since the L'occitane Plisson was released but did not discuss it much online because of the minimum buy requirements. No sense in starting a stir when you cannot, or don't want to, fill the pot. The company is Shijiazhuang Yaqi Brush Product Co., Ltd. but many other makers in Hebei, China can make this from the stock fibers.

I hope this provides additional clarity to the reason why one vendor chooses a whole brush while another chooses just a knot.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
    Boojum1, HolyRollah and PLANofMAN like this.
  3. Chaddy187

Chaddy187 Active Member

I've used this brushes four times now and love it. Somebody did a good job on this brush.

GDCarrington likes this.
  4. flintlock

flintlock Member

Two shaves with this Brush and I think it's well spent Money. I'm a head shaver and this brush can hold alot of soap.

Anthony

GDCarrington likes this.
  5. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I ordered a scratched logo. I went ahead and got some Ben Franklin soap and AS while I was at it. Just to help justify it, I also got a grapefruit bath bar for my wife.

GDCarrington likes this.
  6. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

The answer to the question again is same fibers different knot size. I received the Chiseled Face today and here is a quick picture comparison between it and the Stirling.

Stirling vs Chiseled Face.jpg

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
    PLANofMAN, Chuck F and MoAllen like this.
  7. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    How's the density of the knot compare?

GDCarrington likes this.
  8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

About equal.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  9. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I would have to agree. It's the same hair, more or less the same knot, just different sizes.

Now I need to find a handle to stick it in.

GDCarrington likes this.
  10. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Supposedly, my brush was delivered today, so I'll get to try it out tomorrow. I am looking forward to it!

GDCarrington likes this.