What's wrong with this razor?!?!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Cheechako, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Cheechako

Cheechako Active Member

Took me a bit to figure this damage out...I think.
    image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2015
    178-bplatoon and Bama Samurai like this.
  2. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Looks to me like the doors are stuck shut. More accurately, corroded shut. The razor is in the "open" position but the doors are not moving. I'm guessing the green crud from brassing is the culprit. Could possibly be cleaned up but I would suspect the damage to the metal is pretty severe. Haven't seen one in that condition before.

Bama Samurai and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  3. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

If you got it from Flea-Bay and the seller didn't describe it as not being functional you will get your Doe back......:chores016:
    Billy

4. Cheechako

Cheechako Active Member

I didn't purchase it, but I couldn't figure out quite how this could happen.
    Thought the bars were bent down, but that's not enough to account for the gap.
    Being "open" without the doors swinging out makes sense.

NCoxSTL likes this.
  5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Looks slightly aggressive. Bit of a blade gap there, eh?

6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    The doors are not opening and shutting right. The bottom nipple next to the end cap should be below the bottom plate.

NCoxSTL and Cheechako like this.
  7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Looks like someone cranked yours wide open, then slammed the doors shut. That basically dislocated the doors by hyperextending the "arms" on each door beyond ends of the safety bars, which is visible in the pic.

Suggestion: Gently try to pry the doors apart. Try to pop the nub on the end of each door arm back beneath the safety bars. If it works without too much bendage, you should be able to turn the knob normally and drop the door riser. If you're lucky, it'll be fine. If not, a little tweaking might finish the job.

Take any Super Speed and open it all the way. Then PRETEND you're going to squeeze the doors together while they're wide open. Look where the nubs meet the corner of the safety bars. You'll see what I mean.

8. Cheechako

Cheechako Active Member

Thank you, I didn't purchase it. I will file away your suggestions for a fix in my tool box! :)

I just could not imagine how this type of damage was done...and I think you're right. Also good to know if I ever run into one like this,
    it may be possible to repair. Would it be easier to disassemble the razor prior to trying to repair?

9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

It's possible, depending on if this one's early enough.

If it's local to you, how much do they want for it?

10. Cheechako

Cheechako Active Member

It was listed on Ebay, now I can't find the listing to put up more pictures or even remember what they wanted for it.
    I was just fascinated by how damaged it was and how that could happen.

mikewood likes this.
  11. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

If I had to guess I would say child playing with dad's razor and maybe a hammer. Back when these were made and this happened you beat the kid. Throw the razor in the back of a drawer and mama buys you a new one for a couple bucks.

PLANofMAN and Cheechako like this.
  12. Cheechako

Cheechako Active Member

:rofl:
    Beat him like a circus monkey! :lyrtuy5:

13. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

The retainer that keeps the doors/operating shaft in place in the bottom knob is missing. The doors are not in their proper place but are sitting on top of the tray, not "in" the tray. Looking at the photo, I can tell that you could lift the doors assembly out of the rest of the handle.
    I dont have photo editing software so I cannot put an arrow on the portion of the doors I'm trying to describe.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
    gorgo2 and Cheechako like this.
  14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Surprised someone didn't list it as an prototype for Gillette's early attempts at multiblade razors...stack 10 blades inside and get the shave of your life. Maybe the last shave of your life.

Cheechako likes this.
  15. Cheechako

Cheechako Active Member

:happy097:
    I tried to find it again to get more pics...it's gone.

16. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Someone might have figured it's an easy fix, and made a lowball offer on it. I would've.

Cheechako likes this.