Your Pipe of The Day.

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by KcHighLife, Oct 13, 2013.

1. hippiebrian

hippiebrian Well-Known Member

2015-08-03 18.21.45.jpg St. James Woods in my Ascorti bent egg.

txskimo, Lo'Gosh, BamaT and 2 others like this.
  2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Thank you, it's my first lucite stem!

hippiebrian likes this.
  3. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

That is really unique!

Bama Samurai and hippiebrian like this.
  4. hippiebrian

It was an estate pipe I bought several years back. I always wanted one ever since I first saw one back in the 80's and was young and broke and couldn't spend a hundred 80's dollars on a pipe (when rent was only 200). Picked up this one for a hundred 2002 (I think) dollars. Much better deal!

Bama Samurai and BamaT like this.
  5. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I've been eyeing the Peterson Dracula pipes. At first I wasn't sure I liked them, but I'm beginning to want one. They make rusticated and smooth black finish.

image.jpg

6. Lo'Gosh

Lo'Gosh Well-Known Member

Those are some nice looking pipes! Not a huge fan of red, but I do like those. Remind me of pipes that used to be made By Jeantet and Molina (I to this day want a Molina Cobalt).

7. hippiebrian

Not a real big fan of peterson, but those are pretty!

8. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Yeah, I know, me too. I bought one of their Christmas pipes that was really nice looking, with a green finish and red trim on the stem. Unfortunately, the green finish was apparently painted on. Plus, the pipe had a tendacy to smoke a bit hot, and - couple of blisters popped up on the finish. I decided to just keep it rather than send it back, and as some cake has built up it is actually a pretty good smoker now. I look at the spots that blistered up as character marks!

Because of that, I would be a bit afraid of the black smooth finish, although they are quite pretty. I like the feel of rusticated pipes, so that is probably what I will do if I get one.

Lo'Gosh, hippiebrian and Bama Samurai like this.
  9. Bama Samurai

I love rusticated pipes (you may have noticed), and feel that the increased surface area helps them stay cooler.

BamaT likes this.
  10. Bama Samurai

Another nice one!

BamaT and hippiebrian like this.
  11. Bama Samurai

Humidor Pipe Shop in Huntsville had some in April. They looked really good up close. I have always thought Savinelli and Perterson seemed very similar in design and form.

12. hippiebrian

I had one way back when, and that thing, no matter how slow I smoked, just burned hot. Wound up trading it for a freehand.

BamaT and Bama Samurai like this.
  13. Lo'Gosh

Lo'Gosh Well-Known Member

I have to agree. Never had a Peterson, but I've had the blistering problem with some smooth pipes. I'd most likely choose a rusticated or sandblast finish; not only to avoid that possibility, but because I genuinely like the look better. Plus, I've been told by a number of "Old Hands", that rusticated and sandblast pipes wont heat up when smoked like a smooth finish due to the fact that they allow heat to dissipate more easily and have more of a surface area than a smooth finish.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
    BamaT and Bama Samurai like this.
  14. hippiebrian

2015-08-04 19.55.02.jpg Still working through that tin of St. James Woods, this time in my Neerup bent acorn. It's kind of growing on me, nice nic level, but will still wait on aging the other tin I have before I buy any more, as there are just to many good vapers out there.

15. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Both are machine made, with a limited number of shapes. Having said that, I'm not opposed to a machine made pipe. Actually most pipes are at least started by machine, then someone does just enough hand work to call it "handmade," custom, or hand finished. A true start to finish hand made pipe will run usually at least $300, and probably much more. I have seen a couple of truly handmade pipes for $400 to $500. And I've seen several costing over $1,000.00

Bama Samurai likes this.
  16. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Neerup pipes are among some of the better values in pipes. I have 3 Neerups, and have met Peder Jeppenson, the owner and maker of Neerup pipes at The Briary's annual pipe event. Peder uses machines to rough out his shapes and drill the shanks, then does hand work and stem treatments to make each pipe unique.

17. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I've just now noticed your lighter, I am assuming it is a Zippo pipe lighter. My Zippo pipe lighter has become my absolute favorite. I do like that it is wind proof, and fuel is much less expensive than cans of gas. Especially if you buy Naptha at the hardware store, which is exactly what Zippo fuel is. Plus I like the sound of clicking the lid shut!

18. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Like you and Bama Samurai, I've always felt rusticated pipes smoked a little cooler, for exactly the reasons you state. I asked a rep for Stefano pipes if that was really true, or was just my imagination. He replied it was absolutely true, for the exact reasons of heat dissipation and area surface.

Plus, I like how they feel in my hand.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  19. hippiebrian

I have 2 and enjoy them both. Nice draw, and they both smoke nice and cool, and a bowl lasts me 2 hours or more. Love them.

20. Bama Samurai

Tonight:

S. Gawith Full Virginia Flake
    Parker Jockey Club (I've posted it previously)

This will probably me my last tin of this stuff. It's just ok, don't really love it or hate it, and it takes foreevvvvvvvvvver to dry out. Not my thing.

hippiebrian likes this.