Dovo Shavette

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DDuckyMark, Aug 4, 2015.

1. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I have been looking and I haven't seen much of an opinion on these shavettes? I think that it may be an option for me to get a relaxing straight razor like shave on my days off work without having to buy and maintain a straight or, repair the one I have.

The main selling points for me are that I can use different types of blades and its inexpensive.

I'm not rushing to buy anything right now I just want to know the general consensus before I start looking into buying. Besides I've gotten 2 brushes and 5 razors along with soap and over 100 blades in the last month, my fiance is amazing but any more might damage her calm.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Get a Weck Sextoblade instead. You can thank me later. :)

The Dovo shavette takes a DE blade, though holders are available for a longer style DE blade, exclusive to Dovo, or an Injector blade. Either are a better choice than the regular DE blade.

With the plastic blade holders and stamped metal construction, the Dovo will feel light, flimsy, and a bit Mattelâ„¢ if you know what I mean.

With the Weck Sextoblade, it only takes full size Hair Shaper blades, but you do have several different brands to choose from. The best of these is probably Personna's, and those can be picked up at any Sally's Beauty Supply.

This is my opinion, and it's worth exactly what you paid for it. YMMV.

3. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

I might also recommend a Feather SS, as I've seen them going for less than $50 on d'Bay from some sellers, and that's a steal. Very nice little rig.

Colonel_K and Drygulch like this.
  4. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

I really don't like the dovo style shavette. They feel cheap and insecure. If you do a quick google search you will see there are folded metal dovo shavette and solid steel bar Parker style the latter feels more like a straight to me and more comfortable. Mine is a blue beard cutthroat but magards and just about everyone else sells a version of them.
    http://www.maggardrazors.com/product/parker-srw-replaceable-blade-shavette/

5. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

My friend got me a Dovo Shavette for Christmas and the red insert got flimsy enough that I couldn't close it after just a few shaves. As a user of a Parker Shavette, there is nothing wrong with them. You can use your DE Blades, the shave is super close. It's just really hard, but rewarding. Very rewarding.

6. Sir.$-Mad

Sir.$-Mad Well-Known Member

I have a Dovo shavette, they can hold the standard DE half blade like all others, but can also hold the long Dovo blades. The Dovo blades however aren't that sharp. I tried it and I had a lot of tugging and pulling, I ended up bailing out and finishing my shave with my Parker shavette with half a Feather blade in it.

7. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I ended up with an unbranded chinese shavette that takes half a DE blade. I picked it up on ebay for less then $3 shipped with 5 DE blades. So far I like it. its heavier then I expected, almost as heavy as a real straight. its heavier in the handle then a regular straight but its still very comfortable. I haven't noticed any problems with the corners of the blade being too sharp and I also don't see much of a learning curve compared with a straight. This thing, despite being so short, felt natural in my hand as soon as I picked it up. I had a very good shave with it loaded with a drugstore Wilkinson razor. I may try my favorite blade so far for my DE razors in it next, the Kai. That might have to wait until the last day of the month because I'm doing the SEptember focus and it doesn't feel very focused if I add in a third razor to get used to.

8. Birdie

Birdie Active Member

I bought a parker and love it.

9. Mr.Diehl

Mr.Diehl Member

I got myself a Dovo Shavette, and a variety pack of razors. It replaced my Fusion ProGlide. So far I absolutely love it. Once I figure out how to get BBS, I'll be quite merry. For now, the reduced irritation has me on Cloud 9, since I'm prone to several days of redness after each shave. I will say that the many comments about it feeling light and plasticy are accurate, but I think it really helps you reduce pressure because you are forced to focus on the reduction. A heavy blade might trick you into thinking you have no pressure when you do. I'd call the Dovo a practice razor, for sure. I'll jump to a real sraight once I run out of blades.

caleb31 likes this.