What are you waiting on to arrive...?

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by Darkbulb, Feb 17, 2014.

1. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Torture me with pics of the 400 when it comes in

Darkbulb likes this.
  2. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

If I didn't already have the black handled one I would :)

mrchick likes this.
  3. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

There are half a dozen 400s going on eBay right now. It really hurts to see them go for less than $100, to someone else. :signs136:

ObiDon, clint64 and mrchick like this.
  4. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Maybe the increase in volume will drive down the prices. I remember price elasticity mentioning something about that ;)

Slow Joe and mrchick like this.
  5. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

You only THINK you have some Tabac Aftershave on the way. You weren't drunk Web surfing again were you?

mrchick and Darkbulb like this.
  6. mrchick

I had the same thought

7. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Nice find.

8. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Ive been lucky enough to find a Fatboy, a Slim and Schick type F in razor lots from unaware sellers.....

mrchick likes this.
  9. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

I don't have it yet so dont know. The shaving cream smells great. I do have the Eau de baux EdT and it is the most long lasting masculine stuff in my den.

10. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

Picked this up today on Etsy for $15 w/free shipping. Also grabbed some Gem Pella blades...25 for $11.50 also shipping Free.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Slow Joe, Rufus T., Jayaruh and 3 others like this.
  11. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

25 of these
    [​IMG]
    Then I can try out a 1924 Ever Ready that's been sitting in my den untouched for six months.

Slow Joe, Jayaruh, Boojum1 and 4 others like this.
  12. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Bought this, to me, unknown razor.
    The seller described it as having a 'spring loaded handle' which I'm not quite sure I see/understand but maybe that will become clear when I get it...
    It has two patent numbers on it;
    On the handle: PAT. 2,059,172
    On the head: F623135

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now, I didn't find the original patent application BUT I found the patent 2720695 that has a reference to 2,059,172 in it and what SEEMS to be a drawing of a very similar razor...and the 'spring loaded' internal mechanism. If it's the same razor/brand it seems to date back to the 1950's and I'll admit one that I've never seen or heard of before.

Patent drawing;
    [​IMG]

The inventor was Charles Sabiers and looking into his history one can see that he was filing raz0r-related patents as early as the 1930's. Not sure what company he has affiliated with though.

For $16 it was worth it to get to check out something that, at least to me, is a rather obscure razor invention. Will see how it looks/performs when it gets here :)

If anyone have any more light to shed on this razor I'd love to learn more.

Update: Found some additional information in Waits' compendium and it appears that this is a "Flexo" of some kind:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
    Chuck F, ObiDon, Billyfergie and 4 others like this.
  13. Dzia Dzia

Maybe it's some kind of quick-release for the head.

14. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Yeah not sure...just by looking at it - and the drawings I actually can't see the value in that spring mechanism. I'm hoping it will all become clear when it arrives.
    Unfortunately it appears to take proprietary blades so I might have to enlist @Billyfergie 's help as he's an expert at getting razors work with more modern blade offerings :)

Billyfergie, clint64 and Dzia Dzia like this.
  15. Dzia Dzia

It is very unique. You're an AD wizard.
    [​IMG]

Darkbulb likes this.
  16. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

From what I understand it's supposed to keep the head pressed to the face at the optimal pressure or some such nonsense.

Darkbulb likes this.
  17. mrchick

You just can't resist razors with spring loaded buttons, can you?

18. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Gotta love springs
    [​IMG]

RaZorBurn123 and mrchick like this.
  19. Slow Joe

That's an interesting and unique looking razor. I'm looking forward to seeing your review on this.

PLANofMAN, RaZorBurn123 and mrchick like this.
  20. Slow Joe

Couldn't sleep last night and made the bad decision to go on e bay. Didn't spend too much money .
    I ordered 50 Gillette Silver Blue blades and won this for about $ 6 including delivery.
    [​IMG]

I've been wanting an English razor for ages. Although this could have been made in Argentina. Just have to wait and find out. I really like the patterned handle.

Jayaruh, Boojum1, PLANofMAN and 2 others like this.