The One Blade - New SE razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Jul 10, 2015.

1. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

not sure, but I would love to have the info of the people who bought them....I have a few bridges to sell them...its a great looking razor but its crazy to me that you dont even have the option to buy blades...how much are they going to want for those?...I already get a great shave, so unless this thing is going to not only give me a BETTER shave, but dump out a million dollars, I think im just fine with what I have in my den.

2. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Well, that is on a razor to razor basis. There are expensive and inexpensive razors in both camps.
    When it comes to contemporary, artisan razors straight razors are often higher priced than any safety razor for instance.

Billyfergie likes this.
  3. Beardbgone

Beardbgone Active Member

I agree. I guess my sarcasm wasn't sarcastic enough. When I first saw the cost of this razor, I choked. Then I reflected on the cost of my custom straights and a couple vintage that are more than this razor. Straight razor shaving is not cheap when you start collecting them. It will cost more than safety razors. I started wet shaving thinking that a DE razor was going to save me money. It definitely can. But I veered from the money saving path a while ago.

Well. I'm looking forward to the adventurous shaver who will get one of these and post up their review.

4. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Can't wait to read your review, @Darkbulb . When's yours arrive?

PLANofMAN and Darkbulb like this.
  5. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Around the same time as yours :)

PLANofMAN and Mr. Shaverman like this.
  6. Doogie1963

Doogie1963 New Member

Well, I have been using it for a couple weeks now. Cost $300 plus 60 blades. I bought a Feather for that and no blades. The head pivots up and down. The angle of the blade is idiot proof. The blade snaps in and sits approx 1/8" behind leading edge. The leading edge is set at the perfect angle for a smooth shave. It shaves just as easy as a Fusion 5 blade except without the irritation. I sold all of my other DE's. I got tired of spending 20 plus minutes shaving with a minimum of 5-6 passes. This is the closest shave you can get at home, unless your able to wield one of those big SE blades, which I do not. Since I don't shave with a SE big blade I'm just speculating. As for the price of paying $30 a month on blades. I have no issues with it as long as it gives me the best shave possible. I'm here to tell you. It does. No more nicks than what you would get with a modern 3-5 blade. The handle is smooth but with it being hollow on the sides, there is no problem slipping out of your hands. the blades are just as sharp as ordinary feathers but have more cushion. The weight is awesome. Everything about this razor, stand, blades, and packaging is first class.

Bird Lives, macaronus and Billyfergie like this.
  7. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

Doogie, you should make a video of you using it.

8. Doogie1963

Doogie1963 New Member

Sorry, I don't do videos. I'm too lazy.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2015
    macaronus and Billyfergie like this.
  9. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I'll stand by my shake sharp. If I want a BBS one pass shave, the shake sharp is the razor I reach for. The One Blade seems to share some of the same characteristics of head shape and profile.

When I was reading the earlier comments, I noticed people throwing out the word "proprietary" about the blades. The blades are NOT proprietary. This uses standard Feather SE blades. The same blades people use in Valet razors. Geez people.

@Darkbulb You might want to pick up a couple packs. They might work well with some of those French and Swedish SE razors you've been teasing us with lately.

macaronus likes this.
  10. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

I was wondering about that cause the way they word the advertisement its as if its a Special Blade for this Razor....To be honest and I know these things are all personal , but I don't rate these SE Feather Blade one bit....I only shave with SEs and I find a GEM SE Blade to be far superior by a long shot.....:chores016:

11. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

:signs011:

If there were a single optimal exposure and angle, then virtually all razors would have that blade angle and exposure. If a razor didn't have that specific exposure and angle, all the other manufacturers would point it out and no one would buy it.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  12. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Thanks for the review! Sounds like a great razor! :happy088: Enjoy it!
    For me the price is still too steep, though. :(

BTW: the price for the blades is quite steep as well: connaughtshaving has the blades as well. 30 blades for $ 18.75 (including shipping). At One Blade: 30 blades for $ 27.95. Quite a difference! 240 blades when bought in one buy at Connaghtshaving costs just a little more then 90 blades at OneBlade.
    So you might want to consider buying your blades over there. Just sayin'. :)

13. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Looks impressive...but not my cup of tea. I prefer old school...

14. Doogie1963

Doogie1963 New Member

macaronous, Thank you for the info. I will definitely be buying me some blades from connaughtshaving. :)

macaronus likes this.
  15. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Congratulations D, don't you just love it when a plan comes together?....I dig Happy Endings.....I do wield one of those big SE blades and love mine...although I'm thinking your razor looks really facinating....more than one or two ways to skin (shave) this cat....lol! Although, personally I'm a romantic and have a fondness for Vintage with an unknown history, it fuels my imagination...
    Wishing you the best shaves of your life and the best time getting them....:git:

clint64 and Billyfergie like this.
  16. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Two videos showing off the razor a bit:

17. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

More folks than you'd think....;)
    Mastro Livi Custom Forged Damascus 7/8" in Buckeye Burl Scales .......$1450.
    SafariScreenSnapz111.jpg

18. DonMac

DonMac Active Member

It may be the finest razor ever produced, but I could not rationally justify paying that kind of money for one shaving instrument. However, if you happen to be wildly rich, it may be nothing more than pocket change.

Billyfergie likes this.
  19. Gordy

Gordy Well-Known Member

Personally I would prefer a couple of Rhodium plated DE's and SE's for that money. I love the shaves I get from those Feathers in my Autostrops, and the gadget freak in me prefers those to the One Blade.
    I also don't like the style, it reminds me too much of cartridge razors and is a reason I've stayed away from Injectors. I much prefer the style of DE's and other SE's.