Needing Head Shaving Advice

Discussion in 'Head shaving' started by Mister C, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Mister C

Mister C Member

Head shavers -
    My youngest son currently uses a Gillette Fusion and Ivory soap for head shaving. He's interested in trying it with a safety razor but not sure what razor/soap/cream/blade combination to use. Also, is there a tutorial anywhere? Not being a head shaver myself (yet) I am unable to offer him any advice or expertise.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  2. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

3. txskimo

txskimo Well-Known Member

I personally like the Edwin Jagger DE89. The weight just feels nice which I think helped me not to use pressure when I started out

gwsmallwood likes this.
  4. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I use the same razors, blades and soaps for my head as I do for my face. Right now, my razor of choice for head shaving is a Gillette New SC.

gwsmallwood likes this.
  5. MarshalArtist

MarshalArtist Psychiatric Help 5¢

The Ivory soap will probably still work, but I expect an actual shaving soap or cream will be more comfortable.
    How old is your son? Have we "influenced" another youngster to abandon cartridges?

6. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Good prep and lather. other than that he needs to experiment. Start with a mild razor and a good blade assortment.

7. Mister C

Mister C Member

Wow, without this link I would never had found there was a "head shaver" forum. Thank you, GW!

8. Mister C

Mister C Member

He's 26. My other two sons are now using DE razors. #3 is our only head shaver. He's somewhat intrigued by the DE razors. But very apprehensive due to cuts, burns, etc. So, any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

9. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

He should get a mild to moderate razor to start out on the path of head shaving. Normally I use whatever I am using on my face to shave the head. Ivory soap is good if he becomes experienced. Until he does he should try a good cream such as Proraso / C.O. Bigelow to make sure he has a consistent lather with a brush. Cushion really helps when developing the technique.

Get him on the forum and he can read to his heart's content a lot of solid information.

Cheers!

10. Mister C

Mister C Member

Thanks, everyone, for all the advice. I sent him the head shaving forum link. So, we'll see where it goes. Appreciate it.

11. SDK

SDK it's his fault

Mister C your avatar pic is driving me nuts. I know I have seen it before, but just can't place it. Can you let me know where it originated?

12. MarshalArtist

MarshalArtist Psychiatric Help 5¢

How is your youngest son doing, @Mister C ? Has he taken the plunge?