EBay straight razors

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Petty3347, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Petty3347

Petty3347 Well-Known Member

Now I was checking out ebay today looking for odds and end shaving stuff and noticed that there seems to be alot of straight razors.now I have just started shaving with a safety razor about three weeks ago.I have always wanted to be able to shave with a straight razor but I don't quite have the funds for the $100 or more razors...I'm more in the $30 or less range (the wife doesn't give me much to shop with so yea).I was wandering if I could get a good shave with some of the "cheaper" straight razors out there.

2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Overall, it's a crapshoot on cheap straights on ebay.
    Now IF the buyer knows what to look for and IF the seller is honest and reveals either in copy or photos any existing shortcomings on the razor, then it is possible to score a good deal on a vintage straight razor.
    MANY —okay, the MAJORITY of used straight razors have some serious defects (with broken scales or blades, extensive rust, over-honed, bad geometry, etc) or are compromised in some fashion. Unless you really know what to look for, it is easy to over pay and wind up with a near-useless razor OR one that requires some serious restoration ($$). Plus, you'll still need to get it honed before using it.
    I recommend a safer route— purchase a used but shave-ready razor from either Gemstar customs or from Whipped Dog.
    The razors won't necessarily be lookers, but they will be affordable and most importantly, be SHAVE-READY.

Petty3347 and wmbjr like this.
  3. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

whipped dog has the best customer service. I had questions for him and we had a very pleasant and informative chat over email. I have yet to order from him because I have switched jobs and have an extended amount of time between checks. His manner and patience with me has convinced me to do any business thru him when I buy my next straight razor or 2. Just google whippeddog razors and his site should pop right up. His sight unseen are applauded here on TSD and they are within your price range.

Petty3347 likes this.
  4. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Whipped Dog is where I bought my first straight. Ebay has allot of RSO, razor shaped objects, that you may not even be able to hone. Since it is your first go to a reputable seller who provides a properly honed, 'shave ready' razor. For $30 the only seller I know is Whipped Dog.

Petty3347 likes this.
  5. Surlyduck

Surlyduck Member

I dint know if it's OK to talk about other forums so if it's not please delete this but there is a user on reddit shave Bazaar that is selling straight razor strop sets for 60 just search for sight unseen razors there apparently everyone so far loves everything they got

Petty3347 likes this.
  6. Petty3347

Petty3347 Well-Known Member

Well thanks guys for the info I'll check whipped dog out.this turned out to be a good post .hope it can help others out to

7. Str8Guy

Str8Guy Well-Known Member

Hello Petty.............great advice here. I would look to a nice used razor of a reputable company as well either here or other classifieds. You may just luck into a sweet deal.

8. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

Hey Petty 3347! Former Army 11B and Navy Boatswain's Mate here. If you're AD or a Vet (as you appear to be), PM me your addy and I'll pop this in the mail for you. I just finished putting some new scales on it and had intended to PIF it anyway. It's not very collectable, but will provide a heckuva shave. Nobody I'd rather PIF it to than a fellow grunt. Ignore dirty work rag :D

[​IMG]

Drygulch, Surlyduck and HolyRollah like this.
  9. Surlyduck

Surlyduck Member

Good job boats that looks great

entropy1049 likes this.