Tried a disposable .

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by BigMark, Oct 30, 2014.

1. MVeeI

MVeeI Well-Known Member

I use Gillette Good News disposables. Cost 81 cents each and I get 15 shaves from one.

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I disagree. I get closer with a cart without the irritation I used to get from carts. I could never go ATG on my neck without tearing it up. My wife has even noticed I stay smoother longer now that I use DEs and SEs than when I used carts.

And I'll agree with @DonMac when he says perhaps some have tried DEs and SEs, failed after several attempts, and simply gave up, going back to what they know.

Double Edge Dougy likes this.
  3. Double Edge Dougy

Double Edge Dougy Well-Known Member

I disagree. I stumbled into DE shaving because i was tired of paying so much for blades but also i was disatisfied with the closeness and quality of the shaves i was getting. I thought maybe after shave would help my shaves so i started researching AS and came across these shaving forums. I get a much closer long lasting shave with DE shaving than i did with carts. I used a feather blade the other day and was impressed that my face still felt smooth 12/13 hours later (for my face thats a long time) i would say if your only doing one pass then the cart would give a closer shave but if your doing at least 2 passes (which is all i normally do) then the DE will give you much smoother shave.....but ymmv absolutely true in this hobby so if carts work for you stock up on as many as you can!

swarden43 and Herm2502 like this.
  4. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I can use a disposable razor if I'm in a pinch. They don't work as well for me though. But I have found that using The Body Shop Maca Root shaving cream really improved my experience of using a disposable.

5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

You can have my generic Trac II when you pry it from my hand and replace it with a rhodium President. Come on, tough guy, I dare you to try it!

Please?

(even then, I wouldn't give up carts totally)

6. engrsaks

engrsaks Well-Known Member

What is your cheapest cartridge shave? ;) I would love to break that record and take the title away from you :)

7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Yard sale vintage for a quarter.

Good luck!

8. Justin Linker

Justin Linker Wetshaving belieber

10 cents. Dollar Tree Bic knock off years ago. Came in a ten pack so it equals 10/$1

9. engrsaks

I shaved with Dorco's twin blade disposable TD708N (Pack of 5 disposables for $0.30. Each piece goes for $0.06) ;) . Plus, you can snap the disposable head off and put it on your trac-II handle. Each blade can deliver at least 4 shaves so cost per shave is $0.06/4 = $0.015 :) . That is my cheapest shave so far.

TD708N.jpg

10. rmcintyre84

rmcintyre84 Got out of the kitchen

I've been shaving with a DE for 2 years. I cannot get a decent, irritation-free shave no matter what I do. I even use Cortisone 10 as a balm. I'm loathe to give it up, however, because I enjoy the process, I've invested way too much money, and I like the comaraderie (sp?) of TSD. With that being said: On Sunday morning, when it matters most, I use a 5 blade Fusion Proglide. Closer shave then a DE, less irritation, and no nicks.

DonMac likes this.
  11. engrsaks

Good to hear that you have found a solution for a good shave. :) . Proglide is also my favorite razor.

12. DonMac

DonMac Active Member

Mac,

You're not alone, they are far more shavers using carts than there are using DE/SE's. I have many razors in various types and flavors and enjoy using them all.
    I have a friend who has the same experience. I have loaned him many of my DE/SE razors, and all of them give him extreme irritation and razor burn. He currently uses a Trac II/Atra and Mach 3 and gets super problem shaves.

13. Jerry-built Hustler

Jerry-built Hustler Well-Known Member

That makes about as much sense as saying you test drove a Yugo, realized it sucked, and now can't understand why people like European cars.

14. engrsaks

I'm going to test shave with Bic 1 sensitive again. I just wish to see why so many people hate it. I'm sure it is great for blade buffing and will try it in my today's shave.

15. engrsaks

OK so I just came back from washroom. Took a couple of SOTD pictures (posting the best one).

DSC_0431.JPG

Used Classic Bic 1 sensitive disposable razor
    Denim black shave cream with witch hazel
    Brut AS lotion
    Omega syntex

Comments on the shave :

It was a great shave. It felt like I am shaving with the mildest and lightest DE razor on the planet. Instead of applying pressure and trying to get every single hair, I only blade buffed with light pressure. I got DFS result in two passes (WTG and XTG). I can say this with absolute certainty that Bic 1 disposable is being mistreated or being used improperly in the shave. If I can get good DE like results with it, anyone can.

16. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I haven't used a cart but a couple of times since I took up "traditional" shaving. DE shaving with a single blade, for me at least, has been FAR superior to cart shaving:happy088:!!
    That is until this mornings shave.:happy097: I had a single Chinese Rimei blade in my blade stash and decided to use it. BIG MISTAKE:angry019:!! The Rimei blade gave me the worst shave of my life!!:( Worse than a Derby by far! I forced myself to finish the pass only because I'm that cheap.:happy102: Then finished the shave with a Polsilver Super Iridium.:happy088: So just a heads up if your looking into trying Rimei blades, while they may work wonderfully for you, go in cheap with a single blade or two at first.:)