Best/easiest soap for a newbie

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by AWS, Oct 5, 2015.

1. AWS

AWS Member

I previously started a post about having trouble properly lathering a shaving soap and got a lot of good information in response. I would now like to pose the question a little differently. In your experience, what is the best (i.e. the most "idiot proof") shaving soap to use so that even a newbie can get good results with a moderate amount of effort? As always, any and all information and help is greatly appreciated.

Double Edge Dougy likes this.
  2. Joef

Joef Well-Known Member

I'm a newbie as well and have great luck with WSP (wet shaving products).

Tdmsu and CustomX like this.
  3. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

soap commander+
    any brush=
    great lather

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  4. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Most newbie problems stem from not loading enough product. A softer soap makes this a little easier, so any of the Italian soaps (Razorock, Italian barber, etc..) would be good.

BigCabDaddy, Hodge, tuxxdk and 2 others like this.
  5. gmaugie007

gmaugie007 Well-Known Member

i like and agree with what @cmorris357 said ... softer soap and italian soap

for me, i started (nine months ago) with a tub of proraso green and actually used it for the first six months. (then, i went absolutely haywire with soaps and creams ... but that's for another thread.)

to everyone i have gotten started on this journey over the past several months ... i've recommended a tub of proraso

6. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I would get your lathering technique established using a good, quality shave cream, such as the C.O. Bigelow (Proraso). Then move on to croaps and hard soaps.

7. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

What kind of brush are you using?

8. TheFiveO

TheFiveO Well-Known Member

I agree wholeheartedly. Get yourself a good soft soap, or "croap", from either Razorock/Italian barber or, while technically a "cream", the Maca Root Shave cream in the tub from The Body Shop is an extremely easy "croap" to lather. I generally start newbie friends on that soap.

If you are dead set on a hard soap, I recommend Arko Shave Stick (haven't tried the tub soap yet, although I believe it is the same formula) as one of the easiest to lather hard soap sticks out there.

Lastly, a soap I am shaving with all this month, is the Cade shaving soap bar from L'Occitane. Great lather, gentle scent and good skin care. At only $12 it's a great deal.

Lastly, as a newbie, spend as much time as possible developing technique and lathering skills before worrying about any 1 particular brand of soap. Enjoy the ritual

CustomX likes this.
  9. Double Edge Dougy

Double Edge Dougy Well-Known Member

Just curious about the soap you were using

10. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Arko stick

body shop maca root

TheFiveO likes this.
  11. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Yep. Though technically a shaving cream, The Body Shop's Maca Root Shave Cream is cheap, easily available, made in the U.K., and lightly scented. It also lathers really, really easily, and is very forgiving of water addition. It's hard to add too much or too little, it will take whatever you add and make good lather.

I started three people on their wet shaving journey with it. One gentleman still uses it exclusively, five years later. The other two switched over to Kiss my Face shave cream, though one of them still uses other English shave creams, including Maca Root.

richgem likes this.
  12. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

What they all said. I started with williams and worked on it till I could get good lather but no one should have to. Its very hard to lather. Proraso was easy and so far I haven't had a cream that I couldn't lather well. Arko is the easiest so far for me to lather. Wet your face and smear on the stick then almost as soon as you touch it with a wet brush it starts exploding into thick lather. I had really good luck with MWF but I've been reading that people find it hard to lather.

13. opsimath

opsimath Well-Known Member

Arko is both cheap and easy to lather -- either shaving stick or puck. Tabac is also a wonderfully easy soap to use -- slightly more expensive.

14. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

15. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I started of with Proraso cream and it worked fine. Later moved to "croaps", soft soaps. Check out some Mantic59 videos on YouTube about how to lather.

16. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

I started with VDH, but quickly went to Proraso Green. Any Proraso is an excellent way to start, as is Tabac!

17. troy_gies

troy_gies Active Member

+1 for C.O. Bigelow (Bath & Body Works) it is inexpensive and easy to use for both bowl and face lathering.

Also, Art of Shave (AOS) has some great starter kits - preshave oil, shave cream, post shave balm, and a badger brush. At $25 it's a great starter kit and the brush can also serve well as a travel brush.

18. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

I can second the soft italian ones.

TheFiveO likes this.
  19. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

+1
    AND, a cream will be even easier than a soap.

20. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Proraso red or green =) or
    Maybe Maca root

TheFiveO likes this.