OCT 30 Day Rule/Focus Pic & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Bama Samurai, Sep 30, 2015.

?

Since it is autumn, how do you feel about menthol?

Poll closed Oct 30, 2015.
  1. I'll have a double of Osage and a TSD ISZ chaser!

36.2%
  2. I like a little, but not too cold. Fun once in a while!

32.8%
  3. I don't care for menthol, you guys are nuts!

6.9%
  4. I have not yet tried a menthol shave product.

6.9%
  5. I'm new, but the pedantic Bama Samurai says no heavy menthol until I master technique!

6.9%
  6. I am just here for the cookies!

10.3%
  1. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

You'll never know until you try. Don't be afraid grasshopper, and don't listen to the naysayers until you try.....the best people are chosen after all.

2. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

This guy offers samples. might be a better way to to try it. http://sampleshop.blogspot.com/
    or I have heard that its offered as an add on item on amazon about $5 a bottle.

3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I personally like The Veg. My wife on the other hand says it smells like death walked in.

4. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

It completes the effect if you do this while standing in a funeral home.

5. RaZorBurn123

Neal, where do you come up with these awesome pictures?

6. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I actually travel the world daily on a supersonic jet, snapping photos of the strange and unusual.........oh heck, nobody's gonna buy that. Google is a wonderful thing. In this case I just Googled "meanwhile in Pakistan" and that brought up a number of choices. And, I have a growing collection of pictures from other sites as well when I see them. Obviously I tend to focus on Russia/Soviet types but when I do a focus like this on Pakistan I like to throw a few in. Although Pakistan has less material available than some others. Now Japanese memes? Those are kind of creepy. Such as.........

fashion_on_the_streets_of_tokyo_640_high_13.jpg
    So, ummmmmmm, yeah, that may be why I don't use Feather's and Kai's as much. And that's one of the least disturbing ones!

7. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

The thought of cat spray in a funeral home intrigues me. Maybe I will be one of the few. I will look into ordering The Veg.

8. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

Just had a great shave! Same setup as normal other than proraso sandalwood instead of classic brand. And it's incredible. Not nicks, no weepers. 2 1/2 pass DFS. Almost no irritation, I did change my pre shave by adding a lotion a few minutes before I lather. All around a great shave.

Edit: Is DFS - instead of + a possibility. Because I feel safe calling this a DFS -. I don't know what a step below DFS is, but whatever it is, that's what this is.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  9. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Well the nomenclature is kind of free form. CCS would be below a DFS for me. CCS = Close, Comfortable Shave. You'll notice I tend to do a lot of "barely" DFS or "near" BBS stuff. Mostly because it's so subjective. Some days I probably get the baby but just don't think it's what I was after so I stop short. Or the same on DFS. Now, when I say a blade won't even get CCS....that's a very bad thing. I know there are other acronyms out there for the quality of shave. But I just keep it simple. Don't want to make my brain hurt.

10. DDuckyMark

I skipped a shave today. I'm loosing days for the straight every time I skip a shave but sometimes you just don't have the time for a shave. I'm straight shaveing all next month so I can give up a few days this month.

11. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

Definitely going to go with a CCS. First time with no blood, and next to no irritation.

Bill_F, Rufus T., wristwatchb and 5 others like this.
  12. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

October 6 Focus Shave 5

Today's razor is French point so I was curious to see if I would nick myself with the razor. As usual these days the first three passes were smooth and blood free. I could only complete 2/3 of the fourth pass, I still need figure out a proper angle. No blood and almost no irritation and very short of BBS, just not quite there.

I rate this shave irritation A, closeness B++

Prorasso Sensitive Pre Shave
    Razorock P160
    Rooney Heritage silver tip
    Hart 7/8 French point
    Dry Gulch horse hide paddle strop
    Razorock XXX AS
    Edwin Jagger ASB
    Creed Royal Mayfair (Windsor)
    max - 1.jpg

13. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Gotta love the first shave without blood. It only gets better from here. Now, not that you won't have a setback or two......I'm the poster child for those!

14. DDuckyMark

You mean you don't try to have bloodbath shaves?:shocked003:

15. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

As unbelievable as it may sometimes seem I try to avoid bloodbaths. When I choose, shall we say, strange setups it is just my natural curiosity trying to learn what's out there and if my technique is good enough to win the day. Ok well the month I did bad blades with bad Russian razors.....hmmmmmmm. Well it was worth a try. And the Williams soap was worse than the blades. Oh....and for the record I found a couple Chinese blades I haven't tried. Just a preview of more fun to come!

Bill_F, Rufus T., mrchick and 5 others like this.
  16. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

10/06/2015
    Razor – New LC with Triad Helix SS
    Blade – Feather (3)
    Brush – Romera Olivewood Synthetic
    Lather – MdC Fougere
    Post - Witch Hazel & Fine L’Orange

[​IMG]

A very good 3 pass shave this morning. Not quite a BBS but more than acceptable on a work morning. As usual the MdC was easy to lather and a joy to use. Finished off with a splash of Fine L'Orange.

Bill_F, Keithmax, Boojum1 and 8 others like this.
  17. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

30 day focus - Day 6
    Fat Boy set to 6
    Sputnik Blade
    MDC
    3 passes

I loaded the brush while counting to 3, lathered my face, and had a wonderful 3 pass shave. MDC is just a wonderful soap.

Bill_F, Keithmax, Rufus T. and 7 others like this.
  18. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

It's all manly talk....

Rufus T., wmbjr, wristwatchb and 4 others like this.
  19. RaZorBurn123

SOTD
    October 6, 2015
    Prep: Hot Shower. Axe Energizing Face Wash Boost
    Razor: Gillette Old Type
    Blade: Personna Lab Blue
    Lather: Chiseled Face Sherlock
    Brush: Stirling Synthetic
    Aftershave: Fine Clean Vetiver
    Fantastic shave. So good I shaved my goatee off :) kept the stash. Sherlock is um.. I can't figure out the scent. I get some dirt, tobacco, honey, leather, it's a lot going on. Great stuff! The Gillette Old Type, smooth, the balance is perfect, a 3 pass shave yielded me a DFS. No irritation at all. Thanks again @theFAT98 and @twhite for the very cool razor rest!
    Never let the things you WANT
    Make you forget the things you HAVE
    image.jpg

20. Bill_F

Bill_F Well-Known Member

10/5 & 6/15

Gillette Old Type
    Frank Shaving Pur-tech Synthetic
    Aqua Velva Ice Blue

Shave #2 & 3 with the Gillette Silver Blue in my Old Type.
    Did face lather and 2 full passes each day. Both nice shaves without any irritation. Kind of rushed being on the road, but still able to get a couple of BBS shaves with very little touch up from the GBS. - Edit - Err, that's GSB :ashamed001:

Hope all are well.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015