Proraso red - tube versus tub

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by ma1999, Oct 7, 2015.

1. ma1999

ma1999 New Member

Proraso red is one of the creams next on my list thatI want to try. How would you compare the tube to the tub? I remember some people saying that the tub lasts longer but they perform pretty much the same. Is that true? I have a badger brush and I lather on my face instead of a bowl, in case that makes a difference.

Let me know your thoughts.
    Mike

2. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

No difference in performance. Tub is great at home, while tube better when traveling.

3. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

The tube is a cream, the tub is an Italian soap, or what people call a croap. Scent and performance are equal from my experience. I prefer cream to croap, it's just a preference.

Dzia Dzia, RaZorBurn123 and ma1999 like this.
  4. InspiringK

InspiringK Well-Known Member

I agree that it's just a preference thing. I can't pick up a difference in performance.

Personally, I find the tubs easier to work with, so that has been my container of choice. I actually especially like the tubs for travel. I always put my razor's cap and base plate in the tub with the soap so that I know they won't get damaged, I don't worry about the tub bursting open in my bag, and also find that face lathering (which works well when travelling) is easier with the tub than tube.

Dzia Dzia, RaZorBurn123 and ma1999 like this.
  5. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I haven't tried the red cream yet, but if the performance is the same as the C.O. Bigelow then it is good stuff. The soap will last a while and the performance is pretty good. It has a very earthy sandalwood scent that took me a while to get used to, but now I like it.

Robyflexx, Dzia Dzia and ma1999 like this.
  6. InspiringK

As far as the scent goes, I think Proraso is one of the last companies to actually use real Sandalwood oil in the ingredients. Though, it's hard to know how much of it they use.

SHAVEWIZARD420 likes this.
  7. SHAVEWIZARD420

I know sandalwood oil is expensive, but whatever they use smells good to me.

InspiringK likes this.
  8. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Some Proraso products are now listed on the Clubman website. Merger, maybe???

9. ma1999

ma1999 New Member

I doubt it. I think they are only listed because they are complementary to the Clubman product line. That is why the sell Merkur razors on their site too.

10. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

ahhh, makes sense.

11. InspiringK

Yeah. I've enjoyed using and still use a lot of Sandalwood. There is something more spicy about the Proraso variation that gave it some poor feedback when they first introduced it - apparently it's not for everyone, but I certainly like it.

SHAVEWIZARD420 likes this.
  12. SHAVEWIZARD420

There are quite a few people that don't care for the scent even among sandalwood users. I have heard of people having skin reactions to sandalwood as well so I was glad that it didn't burn and the scent and performance good.

13. Munichjoe

Munichjoe Member

Only have the tub but it's wonderful. I'm not so much for creams so I can't quite compare. Scent is great and the cushion and glide are wonderful.

ma1999 likes this.
  14. opsimath

opsimath Well-Known Member

The tube version of Proraso red is one of my very favorite creams. The Proraso green and the C.O. Bigelow creams are first rate too, but the subtle sandalwood of the red is really lovely. I even bought some of the Proraso red pre-shave because of that same wonderful aroma, even though I don't think it does anything to improve my shave -- just smells nice. I doubt I will buy anymore of their pre-shave, but Proraso red shaving cream, tub or tube, is something I like to keep on hand.

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  15. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

The tube version is better for me. I think the bowl version lacks slickness when I try to build the lather.

16. rxshave

rxshave Member

+1