My first attempt and a straight

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Chaddy187, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Chaddy187

Chaddy187 Active Member

Some nice man named shaver joe gave me a gold dollar. I received it tonight. So I tried 3 passes with it but had to finsh with a de. I thank my angle was -30-0 deg most of the shave. I hope I can learn it cause I liked trying tonight was fun.
    This is the first time ive even held a straight razor. How long will it take to learn and thank I can?

178-bplatoon and priest2705 like this.
  2. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Welcome aboard! I am at around 80 SR shaves, and got my second BBS with a straight today. It takes some practice. I was told to look at 2 spine widths as opposed to an angle, and that helped me visualize it. My opinion, if you can chop an onion you can SR shave, it just takes time. Keep us posted!

3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Easy to learn, more challenging to master. Odds are the first 2 dozen shaves (or more) will be lacking finesse and require DE razor clean-up. It took me a month of regular shaves before i become fairly competent and used my DE less and less. Three months of daily shaving is a commonly-used timeline for daily SR shavers to truly begin feeling both confident and competent. I've seen some claim it takes a good year to feel one has 'mastered' the SR shave (i.e. 'mastering' meaning achieving equal or better results than one does with a DE razor)

Hopefully, only one will make you cry! :sad023:
    :D

Munichjoe and barbersurgeon like this.
  4. RezDog

RezDog Well-Known Member

When I went with straight razors I used nothing else. It did take a while to get to where my shaves were consistent. They did just keep getting more consistent and more comfortable. It is easy now, and takes about 20 minutes from entering the bathroom to leaving, and a close and comfortable shave every time. After about three months I had all the major bugs worked out. I still catch the odd little ahha moment and likely always will. If we aren't learning...
    Keep your lather wet, your skin well stretched and your angle low and you will figure the rest out. Getting the lay of your whiskers is very helpful information.

5. pundi64

pundi64 Well-Known Member

Welcome in this forum, yes I am in here also, we SR shavers stick together.;)

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Hang with it. You'll only get better! :happy088::happy088:

7. priest2705

priest2705 Well-Known Member

I'm at about a half dozen shaves in with a straight, and while I'm getting BBS's on my last 4 shaves, that's with me using a DE for considerable touch-up. I'm getting better, but it's definitely a slow process. Don't get discouraged at the DE touch-up. From my own experience, I will say that angle is all important, as well as pressure. And, trust me, you will cut yourself. Mostly, at least from my experience, they'll be shallow nicks that barely break the skin. But, I did give myself a bleeder yesterday, just forward of the jawline. Bled for about 10 minutes. Even so, I'm raring to try again tonight

8. swarden43

Yup, I do an SE touch-up after most of my str8 shaves.

9. Chaddy187

Chaddy187 Active Member

How long have you been using a str8?

10. swarden43

About 5-6 years, but only on Saturdays. Still comes out to quite a few shaves.
    I can get DFS almost all the time, but I like BBS, so out comes the SE or DE for touch-ups along the jaw line.
    I do chase the baby to a point, but I know my limits.

Bird Lives likes this.
  11. Munichjoe

Munichjoe Member

Been using a straight for 4 yrs now. Jumped right in.
    Learned a lot! Reading these forums helps....
    But at the end of the day the only thing that counts is practice!
    Ive since had to convert to DEs due to an injury. But will more than likely go back. Cheers and keep on keepin on!

12. Chaddy187

Chaddy187 Active Member

Anybody getting BBS with a str8

13. swarden43

see post #2

Drygulch likes this.
  14. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I'll also mention that I don't chase the baby, with either a DE or a straight. I do two and a half passes and out. Most of the time this leaves a strip of hair on my neck that I could get with another pass, but I get too much irritaion if I intentionally go after it every shave. I can also only shave every two days.

15. Chaddy187

Chaddy187 Active Member

Shaved with it again tonite. I'm having trouble trying to stretch and see. Anybody have this problem. How important is stretching the skin? Thanks for everybody's help im greatful for it.

16. Munichjoe

Munichjoe Member

Stretching the skin is pretty much the A and O of straight shaving. Ill do usually 2 passes and can usually come close to a bbs but I find 3 passes.... I spend too long in the bathroom and the mrs gets annoyed.

17. Chaddy187

Chaddy187 Active Member

One youtube some people stretch and some don't. I've not got a strop what should I do about that?

18. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I get FAR better results and less irritation when I strech the skin and use short strokes. As far as a strop, your razor is going to start to pull and not shave well. You can strop on newspaper, folded several times and laid flat on a counter top. Stropping is an important part of maintaining your razor. I strop before and after every shave.

19. Chaddy187

Chaddy187 Active Member

I tried again tonite but I'm not really removing hairs at all. Still taking 4 pass with a DE. Don't understand way I'm not removing any hairs. I don't have a strop can anybody recommend me one just start out on?

20. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Welcome!

Stretching the skin is critical to straight shaving. Move your head around use your off hand and make short strokes. It helped me to use both hands to shave so I can get the proper angle and to see what I was doing. I didn't think I could learn to use both hands but I did. If I can do it so can you. It feels awkward at first but after 2 weeks it will feel natural. I also bought a shavette and used it practice without the blade.

Follow Drygulch's advice and use newspaper for now. You definitely need a strop, I would start with a Whipped Dog poor mans strop, order 2 since you will likely cut both up learning, I did. Once you have your stroping down there are several good vendors, check Drygulch's Etsy shop( you can click the link in his post), Straight Razor Design and Whipped Dog's rich man strop. I strop before every shave.

You may also need to have your razor honed. Try a Shave Den member Gssixgun.

I have been at straight shaving for 4 months and still learning, it takes time. I am starting to get BBS.... sometimes. Don't give up it's rough in the beginning and paid in blood to learn but now I rarely see any blood.