OCT 30 Day Rule/Focus Pic & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Bama Samurai, Sep 30, 2015.

?

Since it is autumn, how do you feel about menthol?

Poll closed Oct 30, 2015.
  1. I'll have a double of Osage and a TSD ISZ chaser!

36.2%
  2. I like a little, but not too cold. Fun once in a while!

32.8%
  3. I don't care for menthol, you guys are nuts!

6.9%
  4. I have not yet tried a menthol shave product.

6.9%
  5. I'm new, but the pedantic Bama Samurai says no heavy menthol until I master technique!

6.9%
  6. I am just here for the cookies!

10.3%
  1. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

Dang. The classic is pretty floppy too. Not much brush for 49.99. That's the price range I was looking at and was hoping Whippeddog was putting out quality products.

2. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

Just came across a whole forum about WD knots and I think I'll be looking elsewhere. I went ahead and put an ad up in the marketplace.

3. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
    Rufus T., Drygulch, Bill_F and 5 others like this.
  4. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

I'm just afraid I won't like boar, my friend has a boar I felt and I wasn't the biggest fan. It was a little rougher than I like.

This is the last thing I'll be able to purchase for awhile, so I just want to get something I know I'll love. I'm actually drawing from savings to get this brush:signs131:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
    Drygulch, Bill_F, wristwatchb and 3 others like this.
  5. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Stirling is supposed to have their synthetic brushes back in stock within the next week. I didn't think I would like a synthetic, but after trying it, I can say it out performs my badgers and boars. I can highly recommend it.

Rufus T., wmbjr, Drygulch and 8 others like this.
  6. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Well, I got to try out my New Long Comb restore from @Delta Echo Razors tonight. I love the bronze and copper finish on this razor. It gives it a sort of steampunk look. I loaded up a Gillette Blue, whipped up some Eleganza from Italian Barber with my Stirling Kong, and was off to the races. Three passes and a very little touch up, and I was a little concerned. I was feeling a little burning and figured I had done a number on my face. I did a cold rinse, braced myself, and applied the alum block. Surprisingly there wasn't much sting. A little but not nearly what I was expecting. I'm beginning to think the soap was causing the burning feeling during the shave. It does have a woodsy type scent. Perhaps I'm sensitive to one of the ingredients. Anyway the shave itself was great. I'm calling BBS- . Just a shade less than my better shaves and miles ahead of some I've had. Cheer up everybody. It's Friday.
    image.jpg

Rufus T., wmbjr, Keithmax and 12 others like this.
  7. Bymainer

Bymainer Active Member

Well not that my opinion is worth too high a hill of beans yet, as I am fairly green behind the ears still, I started out with a Vie Long Horse Hair Brush, which I honestly bought due to its modest price tag, and good looks off of Amazon. It isn't one of the badger horse blends, but the pure horse hair version of the PB14080. It works great! Maybe it is because my new $$$ silver tip Thater isn't broken in all the way, but the Vie Long is way softer for way less money. It has worked well using for bowl lathers, and seems ok for face lathering. Just my .02

14080.jpg

8. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I share a birthday with one out of every 365 people in the whole world, or given a population of 7 billion, about 19,178,000 other people. :cool:

9. Bama Samurai

Just noticed your new tagline.

wmbjr, Drygulch, Bill_F and 1 other person like this.
  10. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I'm with you man...And you have one beautiful example there too I might add....

Rufus T., wmbjr, Drygulch and 5 others like this.
  11. Bama Samurai

Get a Stirling or a Plisson Synthetic if you are gonna get ONE brush that will do it all and will last for a while.

Rufus T., wmbjr, Drygulch and 6 others like this.
  12. Bama Samurai

Good to see you over here on this little 30 Day thread!

Rufus T., wmbjr, Drygulch and 5 others like this.
  13. Bama Samurai

Have a great time!

14. Bird Lives

Thanks.....I love it over here....:happy088: I've been keeping a low profile this month, because I'm not doing open combs....But I think I might start a 30 day focus with my Schick C3 Magazine Repeater...There is nothing in perticular that I need to get together with it...But it shaves so great, and this whole Repeater type razor is absolutely new to me...So I'm thinking, if I'm getting such great shaves with a new system right off the bat....how great would it be if I shaved every day with this razor for a month....It might raise the bar on my whole shaving experience!

So todays shave:
    Schick C3 Magazine Repeater/EMS-Personna d1
    Arko Stick/Omega 10029 Baby-Pro
    Kroger Witch Hazel
    Clubman Original/Aqua Velva Musk

Whoa, we are sure lucky to be getting such great shaves guys.....and having such a great time getting them too!

Todays observations
    1. These Repeaters really do want you to place the head flat on your face, and the handle at a 90% angle...it feels a little counter intuitive...But I'm getting used to it...@Billyfergie posted the original instructions for the B type Repeater...and it said, these are not hoe type razors so keep the angle flat. Thats interesting since the later Schick Injectors became maybe the most famous hoe type razors...
    2. This razor holds 20 blades, but I'm thinking, thats several months worth of blades, and water can get in there easily...So maybe, I won't keep it fully loaded...I don't want micro-rust on the new blade I rack in there, in a few months...
    When I take it on a trip, I might load it with enough blades for however long I'm traveling though....Man, gotta love this design...}8^D

Great Shaves This Weekend Everybody!!!

Rufus T., wmbjr, Keithmax and 8 others like this.
  15. Bama Samurai

The OC is unofficial, but prevalent. Any 30 Day Rule or focus fits in just great... And anytime you see a way to help someone or have the solution, please jump right in. Glad to have you in the mix!

Rufus T., wmbjr, Drygulch and 6 others like this.
  16. Bird Lives

I hear that! Hey man, your instincts seem to be right on if you trust the opinion of practically every Barber in Turkey!
    The Turkish Barbers; who are World Famous for their shaves, absolutely sware by horse hair brushes...I spent a few years in Istanbul, and I only saw horse hair brushes at all of the Barber shoppes I ever checked, and the Barber Depots had huge bins of horse hair brushes....:happy088:
    I think a brush exactly like yours will be my next brush acquisition ! That Spanish Vie-long is beautiful!

wmbjr, Drygulch, Bill_F and 4 others like this.
  17. Bird Lives

:signs011: You know....I've never tried one...but all I ever hear are great reviews on both those synthetics...I don't think anyone could go wrong with either one...a pretty safe blind buy....of course, disclaimer: YMMV...lol!

wmbjr, pvtbanks, Drygulch and 5 others like this.
  18. Bird Lives

I love these handles...Always have....I bought the tiny 10029 Baby-Pro for a traveler brush and dug it so much I've used it like every day for 3 years...ha,ha....Guess I Can't put a good brush down....}8^D

wmbjr, Bama Samurai, pvtbanks and 7 others like this.
  19. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

A great idea. Since you were already looking at WD I would add the WD Synthetic to the list as well.

wmbjr, Bama Samurai, Drygulch and 5 others like this.
  20. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I'll add another vote for the Stirling Synthetic. I also never thought I would like a synthetic brush, but now I use this brush at least 9 out of 10 shaves. I also have a WD High Mountain Badger, and it is decent but a bit floppy and sheds. My other "good" brush is a Simpsons Commodore X3 Best Badger, which is really nice, but not as good as the Stirling Synthetic. I do have a cheap VDH Boar, and honestly it is a decent brush, IMHO.

wmbjr, Bama Samurai, Bill_F and 5 others like this.