Shavettes: The Truth About Disposable Straight Razors

Discussion in 'Articles' started by PLANofMAN, Aug 24, 2012.

1. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I didn't know straight razors were banned in India. Isn't that like the USA, that the barbers can't use real straights and must use the shavettes. Couldn't you import a straight?

2. Astrobufff

Astrobufff New Member

Apparently some criminal elements took to puting the "cut-throats" to a more lethal use literally.
    None of the shaving supplies shops I went to carried one and they all confirmed this fact.
    I was toying with the idea of having a friend carry it in from the US but it would be heart breaking if the customs guys impounded it.
    Even the flea markets do not display vintage straights. Sad.

GDCarrington likes this.
  3. Astrobufff

Astrobufff New Member

The best way to align the edge of the blade in any shavette is to load it and then tap the shavette on a table SPINE side down. That should settle the blade.

PLANofMAN and JRod22 like this.
  4. Monkeylord

Monkeylord The Lather Lord

Are those handles made of individual tray acrylic, or do my eyes deceive me?

5. Astrobufff

Astrobufff New Member

Dental Acrylic Resin used for Temporary crowns was used for this. It comes in the form of a powder (polymer) and a liquid (monomer).
    The powder and liquid are mixed in a syrupy mix and poured into a mould and the shavette handle placed into it immediately. Sets in 5 minutes.
    You can then file, grind, sandpaper and polish.
    Acrylic is extremely durable and should survive a few falls happily without chipping.
    Best thing is you take a handle of your choice and feel and replicate it by making a mould.
    Took me about 2 hours to do it from start to end.

The handle is a single piece custom made block.
    Hope that helps.

Terry, Dan_Wahrenberger and PLANofMAN like this.
  6. Monkeylord

Monkeylord The Lather Lord

I thought it was tray acrylics because we had it in a similar bland yellow colour :)
    So a fellow dental technican :)

7. Astrobufff

Astrobufff New Member

Dental Surgeon with my own lab.
    This is tooth coloured Acrylic for temporary crowns of a dark shade ~ A3.5 -A4 :)

Do the mod if you think it makes sense.
    It helps the handling immensely.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
    PLANofMAN and Monkeylord like this.
  8. Astrobufff

Astrobufff New Member

My modified shavette design requires a slightly different blade change procedure.
    Here is the procedure that can be used with standard double arm with swing lock type shavettes also.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  9. Naftas

Naftas New Member

Some guys say they use injector blades in Parker shavette but without further descriptions. Is this possible? I own Hess Ezy Shave, Weck Sextoblade, Vanta Lama Intera and Feather AC DX. Razor to fulfill my collection would be a shavette for injector blades like before mentioned Dorko. Is there any other type of Injector shavette with blade holder size of injector blades (not like Hess).

Thanks for answers!

10. Gigmaster

Gigmaster Active Member

I disagree with some of your points. I have a Dovo, and a Genco straight razor. I have used them for several decades. A Shavette does not shave like a safety razor, but more like a straight razor. I have both a Fromm and a Parker shavette. I use them with Feather, and Derby blades. Shavettes are ideal for those wanting to learn to shave with a straight razor, without the pain of learning to strop and hone. Shavettes are the best of both worlds. Also, your information about shavettes being designed specifically for hair cutting and trimming is incorrect. There are two kinds of shavettes. One type has a 'comb', and it is made for trimming hair, sideburns, etc.... These are the Durham Duplexes that most people are familiar with. The other type has no guard and is made specifically for skin-shaving. They were created for hygienic purposes for use in both the Medical field, and professional Barber Shops.

As to them being 'unforgiving', they are no more unforgiving than any other straight razor. The "spike" tips at the edge are no different than the ones on some styles of straight razors. They can be easily filed down with a small file, if they bother you...or you can just learn to be careful. The tips help keep the blade from flexing, and give a cleaner cut at the edges. They are also good for getting into tight places, such as under the nose, near the ears, etc... because you have a straight edge all the way to the end of the blade. You just need to be sure and hold the edge level, and not 'dig-in' with the points.

I've been using shavettes for 35 years, so I think I can speak from a position of authority. Shavettes are great if you want the quality shave of a straight razor, without the hassle of stropping and honing. I love mine.....

My opinion, for what its worth.

Terry and 178-bplatoon like this.
  11. Astrobufff

Astrobufff New Member

I agree with most of what you have said.
    I use the Astra SP, Derby and the Feathers in my shavette. Still learning to use it so I still use the DE on my upper lip.

12. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

Ryan
    Excellent article. I read this once before but it resurfaced so I just read it again.
    Great and informative article.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  13. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

This is why people find government so tedious and stupid.. American "barbers" can't use straights because of health concerns. Does the Indian government really think I could somehow cut your throat better with a straight than a shavette?? Not to mention the fact that a shavete is easier to obtain and cheaper. :angry032:

GDCarrington likes this.
  14. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Thanks. I've found myself going back and updating my brush sticky, and this article as well. This one could probably use another overhaul and some links to Weck Sextoblade info, but I'll save it for a rainy day.

15. fattyz

fattyz New Member

I found this thread researching straights, the idea of which I had become obsessed with. It turned out to be a lot different than I thought. The end result of my dark and bloody experience is that I am now in love with that wonderful little invention, the safety razor. (disposable mach 3 actually) Never was a thing so aptly named. I'm sure the scars will fade in time.

Thanks for the article and great information.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  16. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Excellent article with great information. Thanks for sharing and updating your research.

PLANofMAN and GDCarrington like this.
  17. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    The Weck Sextoblade, the great grandfather of shavettes, was designed for shaving, yet has a removable guard. The military used an all stainless version for surgical prep during the Vietnam War era, and those also come with guards, so obviously there are exceptions. Historically, there were a number of shavette designs, but until recently, only three were still popular and readily available.

Feather's Artist Club blades have blown the market wide open again, and it's not surprising to see new razor designs that make use of these highly regarded blades.

We'll have to agree to disagree on DE blades. I think people can get good shaves from them, and you yourself are a good example of that. But I don't think anyone should start out with a DE shavette. There are other shavette options that have a gentler learning curve, and a thicker and longer blade ensures that a person is less likely to cut themselves.

I meant to respond to this post earlier, but forgot about it.

macaronus likes this.
  18. JBSharp

JBSharp Well-Known Member

I read this article way back when I first joined TSD, out of sheer curiosity. Lately I've been thinking about getting a quality shavette, was reading another recent thread on the question, and ended up coming here again. Thanks, @PLANofMAN, for putting together the best source of general shavette info I can find anywhere, bar none.

I know you update it from time to time; would you also consider updating to include new significant products such as Irving Barber when they come to market?

19. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I do, and have. I added IBC's razor to it some weeks ago. Edit: correction, almost two months ago.
    This is the primary web resource for shavettes in general and I like to keep it that way, so that does mean I update it several times a year.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
    JBSharp likes this.
  20. JBSharp

JBSharp Well-Known Member

Even on my most recent re-read I missed that. :ashamed001: Thanks for your attention to detail, and feel free to turn away and snicker if you see me in public.

PLANofMAN likes this.