Does anyone still sell 4711 Ice in vintage-style bottles?

Discussion in 'Scents' started by Bailiff, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Bailiff

Bailiff New Member

I hope somebody can help... I'm looking for 4711 Ice in vintage-style bottles. By this I mean the classic Molanus bottle with a "cut glass" texture, like in the picture below (posted by Rodd):

vintage bottle 4711 Ice.jpg

I bought one online and it came in a perfectly smooth bottle (with the same shape), like this:

4711 Ice new bottle.jpg

The retailer used stock images, so the product was different from my expectations.

Can anyone tell me if Ice is still being sold in the classic "cut glass" bottle, and where I can buy it? 4711 is currently using this bottle for their Acqua Colonia line, but I really want Ice.

Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  2. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

I've never heard of Ice. Is it a whole different scent or variation of the original?

3. Bailiff

Bailiff New Member

If by "original" you mean 4711 cologne, I'm not entirely sure, since I've never smelt that and can't compare.

Ice is a pretty old product in itself, though - my great grandmother used to keep a bottle around! But it seems to have fallen out of fashion and 4711 no longer promotes it as a primary product: the company's website (www.4711.com) doesn't even mention it.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
    BigCabDaddy likes this.
  4. Marverel

Marverel Well-Known Member

Yes, seems as if the line has been discontinued quite a while ago. There's one auction on german Ebay that offers 3 bottles like the one you are looking for. I'd say I'll keep an eye on the Ice stuff for you here, but since it contains alcohol, I would not be able to ship it internationally.

5. Bailiff

Bailiff New Member

Thank you for pointing me to the eBay listing, I've contacted the seller about international shipping. But am I correct in guessing that you can't ship alcoholic items in/out of Germany?

It's a bit of a mystery whether the item is still in production. 4711 doesn't list it, yet sellers around the world are stocking it in various new packaging styles. Perhaps another company has bought the rights and are making it now.

6. Marverel

Marverel Well-Known Member

That is not unique to germany: USPS restrictions As far as I know, stuff that's high in alcohol content is considered hazardous, so it is prohibited for air mail.

Most shipments intra-EU are usually not a problem, with the exception of Great Britain. Usually they don't ship perfumes or aftershaves to the mainland. Some companies do because they have an exception permit, but then it's pretty expensive.

I don't think the company has sold the right to the Ice Cologne, because it is still sold under the 4711 name (and they definitely did not sell that). Maybe some sellers just maintained a really huge stock ;) In 2006 Mäurer & Wirtz (they own the Tabac brand as well) bought the whole company from Procter & Gamble (who themselves had bought it 10 years before that from the founder's family). M&W modernized the 4711 brand, so maybe in the course of these events they cancelled the production of Ice.